The lead

19/07

Dear Milton Dyer,

Please accept this letter as a confirmation for my resignation. My last day will be July 19. Thank you for your time. Now, I've come to a predicament, and I can no longer be on this spot. I really am a bringer of doom.

Sincerely,

⁣       ⁣      Scott.    ⁣       ⁣      ;

The door leading to Milton's office glides up at a slow pace.

The headmaster is busy signing some papers in the dark. "Unfortunately, I'm not available at the moment." Dyer said politely. "Is it possible to return in an hour?"

However, Dyer rapidly looks up when he hears Scott voice. "It'll only take a minute." Scott informed. Dyer reviews Scott, who hasn't yet stepped into the room.

"What are you waiting for?" Dyer instantly signals Scott to come inside. "Come on in, Scott." He smiled.

Scott turns the light switch on.

"I quit." He said flatly, closing the door after him. Dyer's smile leaves his face in sync. "Come again." He requested. Scott sighs.

"I can't be the counsellor when I'm in need of a counsellor myself. It's over."

Scott slams his resignation letter on Dyer's desk and leaves without letting Dyer respond.

Samurai X lands on Zane's balcony to join him. "Hello." She said gently.

Zane flinches in shock. "Samurai X, what are you doing here?" Zane wondered with pure curiosity. "Don't you have Samurai duties to take care of?" He asked.

"This helmet gives me freedom and an escape from my civilian life. Also, I don't feel like being a hero this evening. Mind if I stay here with you?"

Zane moves aside to let Samurai X accompany him. "And why is that?" Zane asked, giving Samurai X a comforting smile. The samurai leans on the railing.

"I was waiting for The Titanium Ninja to arrive, but he didn't show. I had this special surprise for him, which I really wanted him to see."

Zane stares up at the navy blue sky. He glances at Samurai X, now frowning.

"I really am sorry about that. I know how you feel. Today, I had a surprise planned for Pixal Borg, but she didn't show."

Samurai X stares down at the ground. "I guess we are in the same predicament then." She mumbled.

Zane snickers. "Yes, what is that about? What are the odds?"

Samurai X chuckles. "Beats me." She agreed. They share a long look.

"So, how is the hunt after Omega going?" Zane finally asked. Samurai X sighs in disappointment. "Really bad." She admitted. "Really?" Zane acts oblivious. "How come?"

"Every Oni is the same. It feels like we are moving in circles. Plus, we are no closer figuring out who Omega is than we were when we first met. Now, TT has come up with this weird thought that Omega cares for the other ninja."

"Well, isn't that a lead?"

Samurai X tilts her head in wonder. "What?" She asked. "A lead." Zane repeated. He pulls his best detective voice. "A source willing to share information."

Samurai X snickers. "However do you mean?" She questioned. "Since The Titanium Ninja says Omega cares for the other ninja, he has to be someone they've all interacted with. That rules out a huge amount of the city." Zane explained.

"Wow! You are a genius. I have to tell TT immediately."

The Samurai picks up her phone and records a message. She then exhales.

"You have not thought of this before?" Zane asked. He tried not to sound surprised or cocky or anything else that could offend the hero. "The Titanium Ninja, maybe. Certainly not me. I have been way too busy nowadays." Samurai X told him. "On top of that, I always fear that TT somehow will think less of me if I do something wrong."

"He will always think highly of you." Zane lays a comforting hand on Samurai X's shoulder. "And I, for one, believe that you are a truly competent partner. I mean, from an external perspective."

Samurai X looks at the generous robot. Suddenly, she offers Zane a hand. "Come with me." She said. Zane gives the Samurai a big smile while he takes her hand. "Where to?" He wondered.

"You'll see." Samurai X said.

Cut to Dyer stopping Scott right in front of Scott's garage.

"Mr. Dyer?" Scott asked, unbothered.

"I know this behaviour of yours. You tend to distance yourself from me whenever there is something you wish not to tell me - simply because you're afraid I'll react negatively."

Scott frowns.
"What does it matter?" He muttered. "It matters to me." Dyer assured. Scott's eyes soften, and a moment of quiet lasts longer than desired. Eventually, Dyer speaks.

"How are you?"

The query took Scott aback. Dyer seems to have noticed it. "You've been so busy looking after others that you've forgotten to check up on yourself. There is a lot you're not telling me and I have feeling you are in need of getting it off your chest. But you're too scared."

"No kidding. Now let me through."

Scott tries to tackle Dyer and run off. Regardless of Dyer's age, he saw it coming, and he quickly embraces Scott.

"Whatever it is that you're keeping from me, it will never change the way I care about you. There is nothing we can't fix together."

"How are you supposed to fix the past when it's already happened?"

Dyer backs up with a little smile. "You should never give in to the darkness of despair when there is still a flicker of possibility."

He gives the envelope, containing the resignation letter,  back to Scott.

"I reject your resignation." Dyer said.

Scott glances at Dyer's hopeful eyes. "I reject your rejection." Scott countered - giving Dyer a look of melancholy.