Chapter 17

Carina

We spend the next week planning playdates and assuring Regulus we are here. While he still wasn’t ready to go in public yet, Rabastan decides to bring ice cream and other sweets for the kids when he comes over. Regulus has accepted Aria far better than Rabastan but at least he no longer scrunched his nose up every time he came over. It was adorable when Aria got ahold of some gold paint and painted a royal mark on Regulus’s arm. Sirius’s appeared on his neck and ran down to his shoulder. While it was extremely disrespectful to drawl the royal mark on someone not part of the line my grandparents just told him it suited him well. Sirius finally starts opening up to Rabastan when they begin flying together. Walburga made us add double cushioning charms to the ground after Sirius tried a barrel roll. Orion thought it was hilarious but was smart enough not to say anything as Walburga ranted about Sirius doing death defying stunts.

The ball finally arrives and while I wish I could just stay home I know I need to be there. I arrive with Orion and Walburga. Sirius and Regulus are too young to attend and are staying at the manor along with James and Aria. Their friendship is quickly building, and it gives me hope we can actually do this. Walburga takes me around to introduce me to a few different women. Thankfully Narcissa had taught me the proper way to handle a ball. We make it to my grandmother, and she hugs me.

“My girl, how have you been?”

“Wonderful godmother, I am pleased you are in Britain, so I am able to spend more time with you.” I hate playing politics. Everything that is said or done is being criticized.

“Your godfather is almost ready to make the announcement.” She says and I nod before walking over to the men. My grandfather takes my hand and I spot Rabastan stepping forward. We walk to the front of the room and the hall becomes quiet as the music is turned down.

“I am proud to announce the return of the Winters line to Britain. I would also like to introduce my goddaughter who has been accepted into the royal line. She has recently discovered her mate, Rabastan Lestrange.” I take Rabastan’s hand, and we step forward, making sure our marks of the Winters line are on display. Rabastan’s mark is larger than mine and starts at his wrist moving to cover most of his forearm. I don’t miss the irony that it covered the place where the dark mark in my time was. Just another sign I was making changes. Once the clapping dies down, we step off the small stage and are greeted by my family.

“I have one more announcement, I have chosen the first alliance the Winters family has made in generations.” Seeing all the lords standing up there is an intimidating sight. I can already hear the whispers. Looking around my heart clenches at the sight of lord Nott.

“Are you ok?” Rabastan whispers.

“Yeah, just lost in memories.” I whisper back. He looks to where I had been looking and nods before taking my hand and leading me to the dance floor.

When we step off, I spot Bellatrix and Rodolphus talking to a group of kids. I can recognize a few of them. Rabastan leads me over to the group.

“Ah Carina, I would like you to meet some people.” Bellatrix says. My life has taken a weird turn. Never in my wildest dreams had I thought I would be standing with what is essentially death eaters from my time. I feel the shift in the power in the room and turn to see Dumbledore walk in. It would have been nice to be told he had been invited, but I knew my grandparents sat neutral, so it would seem weird if they didn’t. I see him make his way over to lord Potter and I have to fight the need to lash out. When the power shifts again, dread fills me. Standing at the door with lord Malfoy is Voldemort.

“Excuse me, I need to speak with my godfather on something.” I tell the group. Bellatrix raises a brow but doesn’t question me. I leave the group with Rabastan not far. I find my grandfather talking to Arcturus.

“Did either of you know that both of them would be here tonight?” I ask. My magic knows there is a threat and is begging me to eliminate it.

“Unfortunately, it was an open invitation to all influential families as is customary.” My grandfather says.

“Carina if you need to step away that is fine.” Arcturus says as he looks over my shoulder.

“Lord Black, it has been far too long, this is Marvolo.” Lord Malfoy says.

“Lord Malfoy, yes it has.” Arcturus says.

“I hear congratulations is in order. You two will make a powerful couple.” Marvolo or better known as Voldemort says.

“Thank you.” I answer, trying to keep my smile in place.

“From what I hear you have some powerful children in your family lord Black. I expect you are proud.”

“Quite proud, the Black family always produces powerful children.” Arcturus answers.

“Lord Winters, it is good to see a royal line back in Britain. Hopefully now we can see the change we desperately need.” Lord Malfoy says. I feel magic hit me and throw it away. Voldemort’s eyes widen slightly before he smiles.

Arcturus

I know that Carina is at her breaking point. It isn’t good to push her core like this. The last thing we need is for her to attack someone for seemingly no reason. I catch Walburga passing and quickly look from her to Carina. She nods and walks over.

“I am so sorry for the interruption but some of the ladies have been looking for Carina to congratulate her.”

“That is fine, it would look improper if they ignored guests.” I say.

“While La Fray was a neutral line, I do hope she will follow the dark sector.” Lord Malfoy comments once the kids walk away.

“Hopefully she will make Slytherin and associate with the proper sort.” Marvolo says and I know she is already on his radar.

“While my family prides themselves in being in Slytherin, I will be proud of whatever house she gets into. I believe it was mentioned that back when La Fray was going to Hogwarts, they were all in Ravenclaw.” I say.

“Surely she will want to be with Rabastan. I notice she seems close to Bellatrix, between the four of them, they will make a formidable team.” Lord Malfoy says.

“Did I hear talk of my sons?” Lord Lestrange says walking over to us.

“Just commenting of their power. I believe you are quite pleased for them both to marry such powerful women. It will only bolster the Lestrange family line.” Lord Malfoy says.

“Quite pleased, but there is plenty of time for children later. I know both girls have dreams that my sons do not wish to interfere with. They wish to stand equally with their partners. While not traditional, I completely support their decision.” He says and I smile.

“How do you feel about that Lord Black?” Marvolo asks brow raised.

“The Black family has a history of powerful women who do not all grow up to produce children. We respect power and it is foolish to dismiss both girls’ power simply because they can produce children.”

“I like that my goddaughter will not be expected to be a simple housewife. I know her mother raised her to be much more, as we are doing with our own daughter.” Lord Winters adds.

“I had never thought of that, but I can see the benefit. Thankfully I do not have a daughter to worry about such things.” Lord Malfoy says. We would need to sit down soon and prepare the girls. I did not see him willing to let them go easily. At least he now knows he cannot use the boys as a way to control them. I spot Carina get stopped by Dumbledore and Marvolo sneers. If we make it through this ball without her losing it than I would count it as a win.