Chapter 24

Lord Black

I read over the letter from Carina and shake my head. I figured this would happen. We have a Wizengamot meeting tomorrow, and I will be sure to bring up the ball to the minister. He needs to know that she did not stand with Dumbledore.

As I take my seat in Wizengamot with Orion next to me, I look around at all the families that if we didn't change things wouldn't be around much longer. The number of magicals born each year is already on a decline and it hits me that if we are to truly make a difference not only do we need to stop the war, but we need to work to make sure people like Voldemort and Dumbledore have a harder time growing traction. Right now, no one was happy with how things are ran. The disconnect made it possible for power hungry people to take over.

I listen as laws are brought forth that don't actually change anything. I would need to sit down with the others and figure something out. Our families are already a target, might as well make it worth it.

Carina

Lord Black writes back with a plan on how to handle the ball and I feel slightly better. I understand war but I never did like politics. It hadn't been important in my old life and now I am playing catch up.

I walk down the hall laughing with Bellatrix after finishing up studying in the library when I am hit with a joke hex. Thankfully I catch myself before I just start firing. I turn around and roll my eyes as I see the Prewett twins standing there.

"Come on snake, you promised to help with the new prank." Fabian says smirking.

"So hexing me is your way to get my attention?" I ask raising a brow.

"In our defense it worked, come on. You can even bring the other snake." Gideon says looking between me and Bella.

"No thanks, I prefer to stay out of detention. Go on, I will tell Rabastan where you are." Bella says shaking her head.

"Fine, but I want some of your stash of candy for my trouble." I tell them. My heart is still racing from the hex and my magic is poised to strike. How did I explain that it could be dangerous to hex me, even with a joke hex. It is just another reminder that I will never be normal. I push it to the back of my mind as I am practically dragged away.

We finish the prank, and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out during dinner. A thought hits me and I can't help my laugh. They look at me strangely, but I wave them off. Oh, poor McGonagall was in for hell with the Weasley twins getting tips from the Prewett twins.

I make it back to Slytherin and take my seat on Rabastan's lap. He is starting to relax around Antonin, but he still stands between us when we all hang out. It would take time for him to completely relax around him and I am just thankful he isn't cutting him completely off.

When we make it to dinner the twins nod at me and Rabastan just shakes his head.

"You're going to end up in detention, aren't you?" He asks as we take our seat.

"I have no idea what you are talking about." I shrug. Like I was going to admit anything out loud.

"You going to..." Bellatrix starts before someone at the Ravenclaw table bites into a roll and glitter explodes out of it. The chain reaction is spectacular, with each tables' rolls exploding into glitter. When the basket closest to Bellatrix and Rodolphus explodes, I have to cover my mouth as they are drenched in multi-colored glitter. "I think I got my answer." Bellatrix says glaring at me.

"Do you know how long it takes to get glitter out? Even with magic, I will be finding glitter for months." Rodolphus glares as he tries to dust the glitter from his hair.

"Dinner is now ruined." Rabastan says looking down at his plate now covered in glitter.

"It is edible glitter." I shrug, we would never be that mean.

McGonagall shoots a glare at the twins as Dumbledore vanishes away the glitter.

"Bet you're thankful to be in Slytherin." Antonin smirks.

"It does have its perks, but I think my cover is blown." I say as McGonagall looks at me.

"Serves you right." Bellatrix says and I bite my lip as I notice a piece of glitter still on her nose, causing it to sparkle.

"Oh, so worth it." I say turning back to my plate.