Chapter 34

Orion
I arrive at Nott manor and am led into the office by an elf. The manor feels far more oppressive, and the elf looks sickly. I don’t come here often, lord Nott choosing to do most of his business outside his home, but I can’t remember it ever feeling like this. It has me on edge and I briefly wonder what would cause such a change. I focus my mind as I step through the office and greet lord Nott.
“I must say I was surprised when you asked to meet me here to go over investments.” I say as I take my seat.
“We have known each other a long time, I do not worry about you in my home. Now down to business, I have run into a few investment opportunities that I thought would be beneficial to the house of Black.”
“If I think they will make a return then I will be happy to invest.” I say glancing around the office. Sitting in a glass case sits a cup and now the feeling of the home makes sense. I had only been around the diary for a short amount of time and can only imagine the effects it would have if living with a horcrux. He smirks as he notices what I am looking at before going over the investments.
Most are worth at least looking into and I am a little shocked he would include me in this. We weren’t close and even allies usually didn’t share investments. As he starts talking about an upcoming power it all makes sense.
“You know I would need to run supporting someone by my head of house.” I remind him.
“I am sure lord Black will see reason. Your standing in the dark sector has come into question with the new alliance. This will be a way to show the others you still hold strong to our beliefs. I mean I hear rumors you are allowing your heir to play with a light sector child. No telling what that will fill his head with. You will have a boy you can not control on your hands.” He says and it takes everything not to glare at him. Sirius would make a fine heir, regardless of his beliefs.
“I can assure you I know what is best for my son.” I say, unable to keep the harsh tone from coming out. It is insulting to suggest I would raise my heir wrong and from what I knew I know I failed him once; I refuse to fail him again.
“I mean no disrespect. I am sure he will one day be a fine heir. I am just concerned about the rumors. You could lose your power over something like this. I merely offer a solution. Marvolo has mentioned that you have stopped meeting with him, along with Cygnus. He simply wants what is best and is willing to fight for such a thing.”
“You saw the paper; how can a half blood understand what we need.” I say and feel slightly weird talking about blood purity. I never thought I would be in a position where I could no longer justify blood purity to myself but here I am. It didn’t matter to me that he was a half blood, more that he will destroy our world.
“Don’t believe everything in the paper. Simply a ploy from the light sector to tarnish his names. He is making sure to meet with those who once supported him and now believe such things.”
“Regardless I must follow my head of house.”
“Arcturus is getting old, if he won’t do what is best for your family then you might need to look into removing him.” He says and this time I do glare.
“Watch your words, something like that could be taken as a threat on my family.” A blood feud is the last thing we need right now but I would not have him threaten my father.
“No threats, just a simple observation. I don’t want to see your family get hurt.”
“I assure you we can handle it.”
“I suggest you take up Marvolo’s offer to meet with him. It is truly in your family’s best interest.” He insists.
“I will bring it up to my head of house. Now if that is all I have other matters to attend to today.” I say and stand. I can’t stay here any longer without doing something that could put my family in more danger than it already was.
Once I leave Nott manor I head directly to the Black manor. I needed to inform my father about what was said and also inform him that the horcrux is indeed there. I don’t know how we will get it, but everything is on hold until we can get our hands on it. The faster we destroyed them the better.

Carina
My first house after winter break is Gryffindor and I should have known it was just a sign. I make it through the first half of the day without incident, but I should have known I wasn’t that lucky. The moment I leave the great hall after lunch Dumbledore is waiting for me. He gives me that grandfatherly smile and motions for me and the twins to follow him. At least I wouldn’t be alone.
When we arrive, I sit between the twins. If I let them sit together, we would be here even longer.
“I wanted to speak to all three of you about issues arising, while it has not hit the news, families have been attacked and I fear that things will only get worse.” I raise a brow as the twins tense. I must admit it wasn’t a bad approach. He would know that both of them wanted to be aurors and hated injustice.
“Sir what does this have to do with us?” I ask.
“I fear war is on the horizon and want to ask where you three will stand. I understand not all of your family might support the right side, but we must do what is for the greater good.”
“What types of attacks?” Fabian asks.
“Simple things right now of families being threatened but I fear that will not last. The man leading such a charge wishes to rule and will stop at nothing to accomplish it.” Dumbledore says, plastering on a concerned look.
“Who?” Gideon asks clenching his fists.
“Mostly neutral sectors and even a few lower ranking dark sectors. If he will do this to his own, then imagine what he will do to light families. I fear for Molly’s safety.”
“I will write lord Black at once and make sure she has proper protection. He might be threatening lower ranking families, but it would be suicide to attack the house of Black. We protect our own and that includes Molly.” I say glancing at the twins.
“My father would not allow Molly to be in danger.” Fabian says but I know they are both still worried.
“I would like to offer you three some extra training in return that I will have your support. As you are aware I am good friends with quite a few aurors.” He says and I narrow my eyes.
“Sir you are not suggesting we stand against our family; such an act could have us disowned.”
“Simply offering you a way to help. Sometimes sacrifices must be made.” The moment the words leave his mouth all I can picture is Harry walking into the forest. Is this how he justified leaving a baby in an abusive home and a horcrux.
“I am sorry but if such a thing as war was to break out, I will be standing with my family. The alliance has both political and magical power. It should not be so easily dismissed.” I refuse to ever follow him again.
“That is your choice but my offer stands. I simply want to assure that the light side survives such a war. You are dismissed Ms. Black; I would like to speak to the twins for a moment.” He says and I hate the idea of leaving them. Dumbledore would lead to their death, and I refuse to allow it to happen again.
As I leave the office, I know I need to get ahold of the adults. Maybe in Ignatius talked to them he could prevent them from following him. Even if I had to watch over them as they fought in Dumbledore’s army, I would make sure we all survived this.