Chapter 31

Rabastan
I arrive at Grimmauld place and am almost tackled by the small horde of children running around. Sirius and James leading the charge with Aria and Regulus not far behind. Most of them don’t pay any attention to me but like always Regulus shoots me a small glare before returning to the game. I just chuckle and go to find Carina. I find her sitting with Cassiopeia, the moment I walk in Carina stands to hug me and Cassiopeia just tilts her head slightly as if studying me.
“I will see you when you return from Hogwarts. I do hope you enjoy the book.” She says turning to Carina.
“I will Aunt Cass.” Once she leaves, I raise a brow at her. “We were going over ancient spells. She has a huge collection of them.”
“So, talking no doubt deadly spells while the little horde runs around. Don’t be giving them ideas.” I say and she laughs.
“You know how the boys are. We have two days before we return to Hogwarts, and we compromised that they would hang out with their friends today and we would spend tomorrow just us.”
“I am sure I will be reminded of that before I leave.” I say shaking my head. While both boys talked to me now, they still preferred her.
“I’m sure you will. Hey, did you get any weird presents this year?” She asks.
“Not really, why?”
“Me and Bella both got letters and a book on old laws from him.” She says and my eyes go wide. Why the hell was he sending them Yule presents.
“Nothing like that but it explains why my father said he would be meeting with lord Black. What did it say.”
“Just that he wanted to meet with me to see if I would be willing to join his cause. Bella didn’t even open her gift.”
“Did it mention your last meeting?” I knew she had yet to tell any of the adults and that would make an interesting way for them to find out.
“No, thank Merlin, hopefully he will get the hint when we don’t reply.”
“Just be careful.” I say hating she was a target for him. It seems like every time things are going good something always comes up.
“I will be. Enough of that, are you ready to go back to Hogwarts?”
“It will be nice to spend time with you without everyone watching us.” I smirk.
“I know that’s right, I had to hear how we needed to stay where we could be seen when I told Walburga you were coming over.”
“Better than what I got; I didn’t think my father would ever stop going on how we needed to wait until we are married. Rodolphus got home in the middle of the lecture and found it hilarious. Of course when my father saw him he decided to also remind him of what was expected.” It had been one of the longest lectures I have gotten, and I preferred not to hear it again.
“Better your father than one of the men in my family.” She says smiling and I shake my head. Yeah, I will take my father every time. I don’t want to even imagine how different the lecture would have been.
The kids run into the room, and it doesn’t take long for them to pull us into their game. We spend a few hours playing different games and talking about the most random things. It is good to see her relaxed and to be able to feel it through the bond.

Carina
After everyone returns home, I am asked to head to the Black manor. I figured this was coming and wanted to know the plan to handle the letter. When I arrive, I see lord Black sitting with lord Winters.
“I hear congratulations are in order.” Lord Winters says and I smile.
“Thank you.”
“Now I wanted to let you know what we agreed on. We are going to ignore the letter for now. If you send a refusal, it might make you a bigger target. We need to know if he writes you again or if any of you are approached about meeting with him. I don’t want to believe he would attack you in public, but we can’t rely on that. Desperate people can be dangerous. I am also sitting down with the others in the alliance to go over everything.” Lord Black says and I nod. I don’t want to have to deal with this, but I know it will be better than them finding out from someone else. Sighing I prepare for the lecture.
“Actually, I kind of already saw him, not on purpose.” I say making sure they knew I didn’t hunt him down to chat.
“What do you mean?” Lord Black asks and I cringe at his tone.
“Well, that day I was gone for hours I ended up in Knockturn Alley. I didn’t even realize he was there until he talked to me. He asked me to meet with his associates, but I turned him down. I might have also got into a fight with a few people when he left.” If I was going to tell them I might as well tell them all of it.
“Do you realize how dangerous that was.” Lord Winters glares.
“I know and I swear I didn’t mean to. I lost all track of time and was stuck in a weird loop of the present and my past.” I try to explain. I still don’t completely understand what happened and can only pray it doesn’t happen again.
“Want to tell us what started it? I had noticed you didn’t seem yourself that day.” Lord Black says after a moment. I look down wishing they would just yell at me. It would be better than getting into my mental state during all that.
“I just needed a moment to clear my head before I went home. One moment I was watching people walk around Diagon Alley and the next all I could see was crumbled buildings. I panicked and didn’t even realize I was walking towards Knockturn until I was already in there. I stopped seeing crumbled buildings, but I still couldn’t focus. I ended up in a pub and honestly don’t know how long I sat there before he approached. I didn’t even notice someone walking towards me until he was already seated and talking to me. Rabastan, Rodolphus, and Antonin found me as I was fighting.” Even the memory of that day is blurred, and I always get a sinking feeling when I think about it.
“Deep breath, you are going to be having Rabastan showing up thinking you are in danger.” Lord Winters says and I take a deep breath. I hadn’t even realized I was becoming overwhelmed. After another few deep breaths, I finally look up at them.
“You should have told us when it happened. I am sure you already heard how dangerous something like that was. I don’t want you going to town alone until we are sure this won’t happen again.” Lord Black says.
“Can you tell us anything that could have triggered something like this? It would be good to know incase it happens again. With your magic already prone to attack you could end up hurting someone without realizing who it is.” Lord Winters says.
“I got the results of my progress from Lucretia and…” I can’t finish the sentence. It had been hard enough to tell Rabastan and while he assured this wasn’t a punishment it still felt like one.
“If you would like Lucretia can just tell us.” Lord Black suggests and I nod. I couldn’t have this conversation again. “I will talk to her. Carina we are just concerned. Your safety matters.”
They continue on with what is planned, and I am thankful for something else to focus on. Anything is better than what is currently going through my head.