Chapter 27

Carina

I don't know how long I have sat here sipping on the same drink. Time is irrelevant as my mind runs over everything. It feels like I am wearing the locket all over again. Harry would already have gathered all the horcruxes if he had been the one to come back. It should have been me in the building that day. Why out of all of us, was I the one to survive. It didn't seem fair. Maybe my inability to have a child was my punishment for failing them. Lost in my thoughts I miss the person sitting down across from me.

"Such torment in your eyes." I have to stop myself from jumping at the voice. How could I be so stupid to let my guard down. Even my magic had missed the threat so close to me.

"I don't know what you are talking about." I say holding his gaze. My magic now realizing I am sitting across from Voldemort pushes for me to do something.

"Oh, I think you know more than you wish to admit. See I did not have an easy life and recognize that look." He says smiling.

"Everyone has their issues. What brought you to my table?" I couldn't just get up and leave or he would take it as I am running from him.

"Just wondering why someone so young is alone. You must know it is dangerous for a girl to be alone in a place like this. Good for you no one would attempt to hurt you as long as I am sitting here." The threat is clear, if I tell him to leave, I have no doubt he has men waiting to approach me. While I know I can probably take them, I don't want to give away just how powerful I am.

"Well thank you for your consideration." I say smiling as I subtly scan my surrounding. There are five other patrons in the pub, but I have no way to know if they are with him or not.

"You know you are hard to reach. I have been wanting to meet with you."

"Oh, I was unaware you had reached out." I wasn't lying, I hadn't received any letter from him.

"I am curious how someone of your standing stumbled across this place. Not a typical place to just hang out."

"I can ask you the same. Isn't a place like this meant for those not wishing to be found?" I really need to find a way out of this, but I don't know what he is willing to do. I can't have a fight with him right now.

"Very true, so what are you hiding from?"

"Again, I can ask you the same." I refuse to give him more than I have to.

"Why don't you come meet some of my associates? We have plans and I think you would be interested." He says his smile turning predatory.

"I'm sorry but I need to head home soon. You can always write, and we can figure something out." I say as my magic pushes harder to end the threat.

"I will be in touch." He says and I know there is no leaving without a fight as all five patrons stand the moment he steps outside.

Rabastan

We search both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley with no sign of her. We had run into Orion and Cygnus, but they had no luck either. As I go over everywhere she could be Rodolphus nudges me.

"Only place left is Knockturn."

"You can't be serious; she would know how dangerous that place is." I say but we had checked everywhere else. We move through the alley and begin checking the small shops. Even with our family firmly in the dark sector it didn't mean we are safe here. As we check the third store, I spot Antonin.

"What are you two doing here?" He asks.

"Looking for Carina, have you seen her?" I ask, anything at this point would help.