Chapter 36

Walburga

I arrive at the women's get together and can feel the tension. Thankfully the boys were at the Potter manor, and I didn't have to worry about them around some of these kids. I know the children have yet to do anything but part of me still wanted to shield the boys from them. I knew Bellatrix and the Lestrange brothers understood the future and were actively trying to change, I can't say the same about anyone else. I touch the ring on my finger and remind myself my family was safe. Orion insured I had a ring that would alert me to anything in my food or drinks before he was comfortable with me coming. While I needed to be seen it wasn't worth risking them attempting to get to the family through me.

I greet the women and listen as they talk about different things that no longer feel important. Shopping trips and the latest fashion seemed silly when there was a threat running around but I can't tell any of them that. Thankfully I wasn't actually close to any of them. Most Blacks preferred the company of other Blacks and no one looks at me strangely when I add little to the conversation. These get togethers were nothing more than a way to boast of our family's accomplishments. Lady Avery sits down beside me and I catch the calculated look.

"So, I hear you are spending time with light lovers. Next, I will hear you spending time with mudbloods."

"Are you aware the Potters and Prewetts are not only in alliance with us but married into the Black family. Are you asking me if I would question my husband's decision or treat my family as less than?" That has the other women around us turning to us. To openly defy our husbands was a quick way to be shunned.

"I would never ask such a thing." She says glaring.

"Good, do not believe everything you hear. Rumors are spread by those who are jealous of power. Anyone who would dare even consider a Black not being dark is merely worried of the power we hold."

"What of that niece of yours? I hear she is talking to mudbloods at Hogwarts." If this was going to be the whole get together, I was going to need a drink after this.

"My niece is in the house of Hogwarts. An accomplishment no one else can claim. How do you expect her not to speak to them when she spends a week in Hufflepuff. By the time she graduates she will of build enough support she could run for minister and win. Now do you really see her building political support as a bad thing. Didn't your husband do the same thing when the light attempted to claim he was a blood purest?"

"I mean you have to admit the rumors are concerning." Lady Yaxley says.

"There are always rumors going on about my house, same with most of us. I mean remember the rumor that heir Avery wasn't actually lord Avery's. You haven't been spared those rumors either, have you. What just last year that rumor about your family being broke. I don't ever remember if that was cleared up." I say smiling. If they want to call out the rumors on my family, I will call out theirs.

That starts the talk of the latest gossip and I lean back. I would need to tell the others of the rumors circulating. While it was just an annoyance for me, it could put Orion and lord Black in a position they would need to make a public statement. Last thing we need is the dark sector turning their back on us. There are plenty who would love the chance to take the top spot and are willing to play dirty to get it.

Carina

The news of what is happening is becoming frustrating and I don't know how much more I can take. If the rumors around Hogwarts was only half the gossip of the adults we could be put in a place we had to actually act, speeding up the war. We weren't ready yet. As long as there were still horcruxes around we were fighting a loosing battle.

By the end of the year I am more than ready to get home. I don't know if Dumbledore has labeled me as a lost cause or had bigger plans but I was not going to complain that he has stopped trying to talk to me.

It is late when I slip out of Ravenclaw tower and sneak up to the room of requirements. I know I should have someone with me but I just wanted to get this over with. Another part of me doesn't want anyone else around a horcrux. I didn't want to find out if someone was more susceptible to the dark magic. The moment I slip into the room I go on the hunt. I knew a rough area it should be but I wasn't for sure. The dark magic is distinctive and even in a box meant to help contain it the dark magic still seeped out. Nothing more than a plain wooden box lost in a pile of clothes and different trinkets holds something so dangerous. I take a deep breath and steady my nerves before slowly lifting the lid. The squeak sounding far louder than it should as I get my first look at the diadem in this life time. I quickly slip it into the bag, trying not to think about my experience with the locket. Once the bag is sealed I sigh in relief as I shrink it before slipping it into my pocket. I place the box back and try to make it look like no one has been here before walking out of the room. I am halfway back to Ravenclaw tower when I almost run directly into Professor McGonagall.

"Ms. Black, and why are you out of bed?" She asks giving me that look that says I better not lie.

"Honestly I have no good excuse. I felt like walking around." I say, better than trying to explain what I was actually doing and there is no excuse she will actually accept.

"You wouldn't be perhaps setting up another prank?"

"No professor, if the twins have a prank planned that is all on them." I swear if I go down for one of their pranks I would get even.

"Ten points from Ravenclaw and detention with me tomorrow Ms. Black. I suggest you wonder yourself back to your common room."

"Of course professor, have a good night." I say and quickly leave. It isn't until I am almost there it hits me that she only took ten points. That is nothing compared to the fifty points she took back in second year. I have a feeling the points go up after the marauders. I can only imagine how many times she caught them out of bed until the map was created.