forty seven

April 3, 2020 Los Angeles

"Are you sure about this, babe?" I ask unsurely as I drive my car to the destination.

"Yeah! Why not? Dogs are awesome and she was great, wasn't she? Such a nice puppy. I can't let her stay in the shelter!" Flo exclaims and I chuckle softly at her excitement.

Florence and I were fostering a dog for the last two weeks, but we had to gave her back a few days ago because someone was interested in adopting her. It didn't work out, though, so Florence begged me to adopt her.

We decided to foster the dog because honestly? We were bored in quarantine and wanted to have something to do. And what is better than giving a home to dogs before they got adopted by nice people? What we didn't except was to fall in love with Billie so much.

The last three weeks of living with Flo and then with a dog was seriously great, even during these circumstances. Billie helped a lot with my mental health and I'm very grateful for that. I got a little home sicked at the beginning, my mood went down significantly. I love living with my girlfriend, obviously, but I miss my mom and my little sister or Mia or even Ezra. I left my whole live in New York, so it's normal to feel a little down.

I don't regret my choice, I just needed some time to adjust to my new routine.

"I want to keep her too, Flo. I do, I promise. I'm just making sure because having a dog is a bit of responsibility. Especially with our work, but if you're sure we can keep her happy when we travel then I'd love to adopt her with you, Flossie" I say gently and squeeze her knee reassuringly. Florence is kinda a person who do something first and then thinks, so I'm making sure it's a certain decision.

"I'm sure, love. Thank you for being the responsible one" She smiles appreciatively and I reproduce with a loving smile. "I just wanna have her in my arms again. I miss her!" She then pouts sadly as she sinks into the seat.

"Yeah, same. I can't believe that these people didn't adopt her, but had the nerve to take her from us. People are idiots" I grumble in agreement. "Billie didn't deserve that"

"Oh, for sure. I'm glad she's gonna be ours now" She grins happily, taking my hand in her own and intertwine our fingers together on her lap.

I hum in acknowledge as I focus on the road. I'm not driving there for the first time, but I still need to focus. I'm not used to Los Angeles and driving around here, I barely can drive in New York after two years. But I need to be the driver because Florence is a lazy ass and doesn't want to learn to drive in US yet. Legally, she can do it, but just doesn't want to.

She's lucky that she's cute.

When we arrive at the shelter, Anna, the volunteer, is already waiting for us with a mask on her face. We take ours and put them on before we exit the car, waving to Anna happily.

"Hi! It's good to see you again!" She exclaims as we come closer.

"Hi, Anna" I greet the young girl with a polite nod.

"Hey! You too, Anna! I'd love to meet in different circumstances, though" Flo says sadly and I hum in agreement.

"Oh, yes. It's a very unpleasant situation, you're correct. But hey, at least I'm gonna sleep well tonight because I know she's going to be in good hands" She comments sincerely before she starts leading us inside. "Billie has been sulking around since she returned, so I hope she'll be happy to see you again"

"We're definitely happy so see her again"

"Yeah, we missed that pretty face" Flo adds, agreeing to my words.

We follow Anna for a minute before we reach the kennel where are a few dogs. Billie notices us faster than we do and she runs quickly to us, barking loudly. Flo lets out a quiet cry on as she kneels in front of the kennel, scratching the dog's head with love.