8- An inch away from death

The officers took advantage of the situation and threw open the gate of the playground. Well they tried to open, but when the gate didn't budge, they resorted to the indirect ways- picking the lock with hairpins.

"What a day has come! We need to resort to such lowly methods," the main officer muttered, before deciding that all the officers desperately needed to get their body in shape again.

Barreling inside, they started putting handcuffs on the attackers, who were still holding their wrists in pain.

They cried in agony as their pain increased because of the handcuffs touching the already burned wrists.

The parents took the advantage of the opened gates and started running towards it, not caring that the police and attackers were standing just there. Their foolishness created a huge commotion as they tried to push past everyone.

Ahana's concentration broke, relieving the attackers from the burns. There was still an underlying pain, but they were now able to think about something else other than their wrists.

Ahana cursed at the situation, but before she could try again, the worst had happened.

Taking advantage of the commotion, an attacker grabbed a small kid. His hands were still cuffed, but he managed to hold the back of the kid's neck.

Screams erupted as they saw the attacker dangling the kid in the air like a lifeless doll.

A few people still tried to run away with their children, but they were stopped by the police, who were blackmailed by the attacker.

"If even one person steps out of here, I will kill this kid."

Gyaan shook his head continuously in a no, gesturing to Ahana to not do anything. The kid was in the attacker's hand. One small mistake on their part would turn deadly for the child.

Ahana's fist curled as her temper rose. Because of the hyper parents, not only did they lose their chance to get out of here safely, but also left her helpless. Until and unless the child was out of the attacker's arm, she couldn't use her power. Ahana could do nothing but watch the scene unfold.

"Listen, we will fulfill all your demands. Please release the child," the police requested.

The attacker snorted, "Yeah I saw how truthful you are. The moment the child gets released, you will capture us. We gave you one chance, but now you have lost it.

"Now until and unless every demand of ours gets fulfilled, the child will be with me."

The attacker looked around everyone, knowing someone was there behind the water and burn attacks, and warned, "Don't try to act smart. Or else the death of this child will be in your hands."

"Noooo," the kid's mother wailed. The child had already fallen unconscious because of the panic, making his mother fall into knees to plead for his safety.

"You don't need to plead to me. I stay true to my words. Plead to the police," the attacker said while pointing to his wrists, "because they are the ones who are responsible for your child getting caught."

The police officers raised their hands in surrender, "We will do as you say, but please don't harm the child."

"Good. First and foremost, remove the handcuffs from the hands of my friends and send them here," the attacker demanded, and waited with bated breath until each one of his companions reached safely.

One by one, almost all of them returned to him, but there was one left behind.

"Hey!" The officer yelled as the attacker stealthily stole a gun from him.

Although the attacker had managed to steal the gun, he was still near the police and far away from his friends.

All the other officers pointed their guns to the attackers head in an instant. He was now ambushed.

"Leave my friend, or this child dies," the one holding the child yelled.

Ahana, who was already furious at the situation, couldn't control her anger, and kicked the attacker behind the knees with force, just like he had done to her. The man lost his balance, along with his hold of the child.

Before the child could fall, the kid's mother dived and took him in her arms. She cried as she kissed his face multiple times, pleading with him to wake up.

The attacker who was at the gun point knew that they were now dead. Losing the kid meant, losing their safety.

In panic to get away, he fired the gun around, multiple times until it was out of bullets.

Screams erupted as some officers fell on the ground, clutching their wounds.  The victims were scarred for lives as the gun fight ensued.

The remaining police officers and even the conscious wounded officers picked up their guns and shooted the attackers on the spot.

The students, parents, and teachers backed away as much as they could, while covering their ears.

"Nooo—,"  Avan shouted in panic.

"Didiiii—," Ayaan cried.

"Ahanaaaa—," both Gyaan and Neer yelled.

They all screamed as one attacker grabbed Ahana, just before he was going to get hit with the bullet.

Ahana tried to struggle to get out of the hold, but stopped once she realized that there was no use. She couldn't match the speed of the bullet which was already shot.

She closed her eyes, waiting for the pain to come, as her loved ones wailed in agony.

A moment passed by, then two; Ahana frowned when she didn't feel anything. She also noticed that the surrounding was dead silent. No screams, no cries, nothing.

'What kind of death is this?' She wondered, before cracking upon her one eye.

Her other eye opened in an instant when she saw what had happened. She gulped, and stared at the situation in front of her with widened eyes.

The bullet was floating in the air, as it was stranded just an inch away from her heart.