10- Gulping down the pain

Everyone received their mobiles back and they were on their way to leave when so many parents came running from outside. They were mostly the parents of the older students, who didn't need to be picked up everyday.

Payal was also among the parents. Running, she straight away went to Ayaan and took him in her arms, hugging him tightly. This action of hers caused Ayaan to leave Avan's hand.

Ahana immediately clasped Avan's palm as soon as she saw the hurt on his face.

Avan couldn't understand what happened. Why did his mom only hug Ayaan? He was there too. She always hugged both of them together if they were standing side by side today. As his mom had never done something like this before, he gave her the benefit of the doubt and waited for his turn.

One second passed, then two; Avan's hold on Ahana's hand tightened with every passing second, desperately waiting for his hug, waiting for his mother to ask whether he was hurt anywhere. But his turn never came.

Payal looked around, before speaking loudly to Ayaan, as if making sure that everyone heard her.

"I am so sorry dear that I never believed you. You told me your best friend Avan and the people around him have powers, but I always thought it was your imagination. Thank God, I asked Avan's aunt Sameera for help today as I was busy. Although unknowingly, I brought a superhero to the school."

Turning towards the other elements, while ignoring her son, she said in a polite tone, "I didn't know that the person my son made his friend was a superhero. I am sorry if he caused any inconvenience to you all. Please forgive us. We shall never bother you all," saying that she immediately left the school premises.

"Mom, mom," Ayaan yelled, as she dragged him outside.

He forcefully pulled his hand out of hers and sat down on the road, folding his hands with a huff. He wouldn't leave without his brother.

"This isn't the time to throw a tantrum Ayaan," she kneeled down in front of him, "You are just Avan's friend, not his brother. The truth cannot come out. Promise me, Ayaan. Promise me."

"But Mom—"

"Avan could get into danger if you don't lie."

That one sentence, that was the only thing she needed to say for Ayaan to comply. Ayaan was protective of his brother but he was also little stupid. He immediately believed his mother's words and promised to not let anyone know that Avan was his brother. Ayaan thought he was protecting Avan. But in truth, Payal was doing this to protect Ayaan.

In his innocence, Ayaan had blurted out so many things in front of people. So much that it was clear that he personally knew the elements. As much as it hurt her, she had to separate Ayaan and Avan. Everyone now knew Avan was an element. The secret she tried to hide for so long was now out. Even if she wanted to, she couldn't help Avan. However, she had the power to save her other kid. Hence, with a heavy heart she chose her one kid instead of losing both.

★★★★★

"What the hell just happened?" Neer spoke loudly in disbelief.

Ahana had picked up Avan in her arms, even though her body ached. She caressed the back of the child, who had fallen silent. Avan hadn't uttered a single word from the moment his mother came, but at least he was responsive. But now, that also stopped. He wasn't responding. Avan just stared ahead blankly.

Gyaan could put some dots together. The over the top way, Payal had spoken, it was clear that she was trying to break all ties with elements. It was already clear that she didn't want the outside world to know that she had another child. The one who was with powers. That was the reason why Avan wasn't sent to school. All this was clear, but the thing that was troubling him was,