70- It was never meant to be

Hritika stopped the car in front of the building she was supposed to meet with Maanvi. She looked at Neer, who was sitting in the passenger seat. Although half of his face was covered in a mask, his nervousness was clear from his darting eyes.

"It's going to be okay," Hritika said, squeezing his hand in comfort, keeping her own pain at bay.

Hritika felt sweating in Neer's hand, which she was holding. She raised her head towards him and saw his other hand tightly holding the handle as if he would fall if he let it go.

She got concerned looking at the sweat forming on his forehead and hearing his deep, forceful breathing.

"I don't think I can do this," Neer said, puffing as it became even more difficult to breathe.

"Okay, okay, you don't have to," Hritika said trying to comfort him in the midst of panic.

She hurriedly removed his mask so he could breathe easily and waited for him to calm down as she didn't know how to help him. Hritika had her phone on, ready to call the pack doctor if Neer didn't get better within two minutes.

Fortunately the need never arrived, as Neer managed to calm down on his own.

The car was silent for another ten minutes as Neer tried to get his thoughts in check, while Hritika sat there quietly, patiently waiting for him to talk on his own.

"I want to go, but I really don't have the courage to face her," Neer said, letting out a shaky breath.

"Take your time," she told him, but her eyes went to her watch. They were already late. And just in time, she received Maanvi's call.

Hritika looked at Neer with a question in her eyes, not knowing what to do.

"Let's not keep her waiting more. You go first," Neer said, hoping he could gather courage in a few minutes.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, in fact it's better. She doesn't even know I am coming or even the fact that I am alive. You can soften the blow first then I will come."

"Alright." Hritika nodded, before ordering, "Wear your mask before coming out of the car, and please don't fall sick again."

Neer laughed at the change of her tone. How fast she went from being on business mode to a concerned friend.

"Don't worry, I will be fine and will join you soon," he assured.

★★★★★

"What the-"

Hritika was shocked to find a stranger sitting with Maanvi as soon as she entered the small office.

"I told you to come alone," Hritika said angrily to Maanvi. Although unintentionally, this girl was going to put Neer in danger.

"Don't worry he is trustworthy and he knows about everything," Maanvi said, while clasping her hands with him.

"No...fucking way," Hritika cursed, her eyes narrowed at their joined hands.

"Please tell me it isn't what I am thinking," Hritika said, even though the scene was quite clear.

"Yeah we are together," Maanvi dropped the bomb. "You can judge me all you want, I don't mind."

"That fast?" Hritika blurted out the question, before palming her mouth in shock. The question wasn't meant to be spoken out loud.

"I didn't mean...," Hritika started to apologize, but Maanvi stopped her.

Looking at Hritika with kind eyes, she explained, "He was there for me from the start. He didn't have the power yet he stood beside me to face all the problems."