66- Friends

A few weeks had passed and now the elements had almost settled down in the werewolf world. Their hearts were still broken, still hurting for what they had lost, but they weren't letting that hurt get an upperhand. They were trying their best to live happily again. Of course, some days were hard; but some days were easier to pass too.

They were mingling around the werewolves and making friends again. Though this time, they had made sure to not let their expectations rise. They weren't going to be aloof, but they weren't going to give anyone the right to hurt them again. Now everyone was either a friend or acquaintance, not a family. Never a family. The only people they were going to put their blind faith in were the elements themselves.

Despite all their efforts to keep everyone at their arm's length, there was one person who managed to cross that threshold. The elements were scared, but couldn't help but let that person in. Against their will, that person made her place in their hearts with her constant efforts.

Smart like Gyaan, cute and innocent like Avan, wise like Sameera, kind like Neer and fierce like Ahana; Hritika held all the qualities that drew elements to her, making her their ally.

She was close to all of them, but she was closest to Neer. Everyone except him was aware of her feelings for him, but that idiot was blissfully ignorant.

Ahana liked her, but that didn't stop her from warning Hritika. Last time, she had just accepted Neer's relationship without any checking. But this time, she was going to be cautious. Hritika was already aware of this happening. So she confidently told Ahana that she was ready to take any tests for her approval if she and Neer ever became a couple.

Hritika's confidence and honesty had won Ahana's heart. It was right then and there Ahana had approved her. However, that part was a secret for Hritika. Ahana wasn't going to let on that fact so easily. The girl had to grovel some more, just like Gyaan was doing even after he received approval for Neer.

The whole conversation had happened in a secluded garden, as they didn't want the entire pack to know what was going on.

"Both the twins are evil when it comes to each other's love lives," Gyaan told Hritika, coming near them. He had come to call them for lunch, and had ended up listening to their whole conversation.

Hritika agreed with him wholeheartedly. While Ahana stuck her tongue out to him.

"Mine hasn't even started yet, we are in the same boat," Hritika muttered.

"It doesn't matter to her as the chances of it happening are too strong," Gyaan said.

"Chances of what happening is strong?" Neer asked, coming towards them. He came to call them for lunch when Gyaan didn't return after so long. Sameera and Avan too followed him as they were getting bored.

"The chances of your and Hritika's relationship," Gyaan said honestly, making Hritika's eyes widen with fear and Neer scowl.

"I knew it, I knew they were in a relationship," Avan said, jumping in happiness, while Sameera clasped her hands gleefully.

"There's nothing like that," Neer shouted at them, before turning to Hritika.

Scratching his head in embarrassment, he apologized, before saying, "Don't mind their teasing. They are old school who don't understand that a guy and a girl can be friends."

He bared his teeth at the elements who were clearly muffling their laughs. Neer moved to tackle them when they didn't stop, making all of them run away. He too ran after them ready to beat them into pulp.

'Friends,' Hritika chuckled internally at the irony. She sighed looking at his back, and muttered, "Only if you knew what is in my heart."

"Then tell him," Yara said, coming behind her and making Hritika jump in fright.

"What's with everyone coming from behind today?" Hritika asked, clutching her chest.

"Probably your bad luck," Yara shrugged, earning a shove from Hritika. Yara shoved her back, making Hritika fall on the grass.

"Don't forget your strength, Beta," Hritika shouted, as she patted herself to get rid of the soil and grass.

"Oops," Yara muttered sheepishly. She kept forgetting that she was the second strongest person in the pack and Hritika was merely a human, a physically weak one at that.

"Are you okay?" Yara asked, feeling guilty.

"No, my ego is bruised," Hritika answered, earning a laugh and a light slap on the shoulder from Yara for making her worry for nothing.

Yara laid down on the grass, patting the nearby space, silently asking Hritika to do the same.

"We are going to have some serious talk, aren't we?" Hritika asked with a dreaded shudder, but made herself comfortable beside Yara.

"I really don't think this is right, Hritika," Yara said, while looking at the sky.

"What wrong in laying beside you?" Hritika joked.

Yara turned to glare at her, "I am talking about you being with friends with Neer. I feel it's deceiving."

"But friends do catch feelings for each other. What's so wrong with it?" Hritika asked in a small voice, while turning her body so she could completely face Yara.

"Falling for your friend later on, and having already fallen for a person and then becoming his friend are two entirely different concepts, Hritika.

"You may end up hurting yourself or Neer or maybe both."

Yara knew Hritika didn't have any ill intentions behind her friendship, but that wouldn't be what Neer would think when he found out the truth. She didn't want Hritika to get accused and so it was her responsibility to warn Hritika.

Hritika nodded agreeing with Yara's words. "Don't worry, I will tell him the truth. Regardless of his response, I will let him know about my feelings," Hritika said, making Yara sigh in relief.

However the relief didn't last long as a huge 'but' came in between.
"But there's too much going on right now in his life. And I don't want to add to the pressure. Once he settles down or his innocence is proved, I will let him know. I am just waiting for the right time."

Yara nodded, understanding where Hritika was coming from. "Alright, do as you wish, but don't take so long to confess that your intentions behind your feelings start getting doubted."