Chapter 6

Everyone became quiet, walls went up, and egos and personalities shrank.
"As for me, we have some things to discuss for an upcoming meeting. Now, where are you lasses and lads going?" Fredrick asked, beaming a fake smile. Ashlynn moved her body closer to Grace, practically hiding behind her like a scared child looking for safety. James and Grace stood straight, and their faces went cold with no emotion, no signs of weakness, nothing. Izzy, William, Robert, and Alma stood to attention, a statue ready for instructions.
    "The park, Father. Would you like to join?" Grace invited, praying he would decline.
"Dressed like that? Isabelle should not be letting you out like that," He turned to Izzy, "Do that again, and you will be without a job, or maybe I should teach you a lesson," Frederick grinned evilly.
"You will not lay a hand on her! I changed after she dressed me!" Grace declared sternly, stepping forward and defending her dear friend.
    "You are ruining this family," He spat, "I should cast you out just for raising your voice at me child."
"You wouldn't, you need me. You need me to marry for your status," Grace glared, stepping in front of Fredrick. The tension between the two was thick, it would take multiple knives just to cut through it.
    He laughed, he laughed. It was sickening.
"Oh you foul child, I can wed Ashlynn off just as easily as I can disown you."
Ashlynn began to cry, she was terrified. James stepped over to her and stood in front of her. All three of the children were close, being shunned by their father and not having anyone else as a parent. They had to stick together. They had to be close to survive in this world.

"William, take James and Ashlynn, go on Poppy. Alma and Izzy, take Aster." Grace spoke, looking dead in her cruel father's eyes.
"Don't you dare move," he threatened.
"William, Izzy, go. Get them out of here."
"Do it and all of you are out of a job!"
"Then so be it, I can always talk to the queen, and they will stand behind me,"
"You wouldn't," Fredrick said, stepping back in disbelief.
"Oh I would, father, I would indeed. You already have an interesting reputation, it would be so easy."
"You dare threaten me?!"
"I would threaten the devil himself if he put anyone I care about in danger," Grace glared.
"How would I? Your father, putting you in danger?" he spoke, switching diameters.
"We are leaving, and Robert, you are welcome to join us," Grace spoke gently, looking Robert's way. As Grace turned to walk away, she was met with a face full of gravel. Fredrick had pulled her hair, forcing her to tumble to the ground.
"Grace!" both the twins cried.
Fredrick hovered over her, "Talk to me like that again, and you'll get more than a face full of gravel," he spat, taking his leave back into the house.
She couldn't let the twins see her cry.
Grace quickly got up and dusted the gravel off her dress, "Izzy, Alma, William, take them. Now." she spoke plainly.
"But your-"
"I said now! Get them away from here!" Grace said, raising her voice, "I will meet up with you all later, I have some things to take care of."
"Grace?" Ashlynn spoke quietly.
"Yes?" Grace turned around.
"Be careful,"
"I will," she smiled, kissing Ashlynn's forehead.
"Grace, seriously. Please, we need you," Jame spoke up.
"I know, I love you both," Grace said, hugging them both before nodding at William to ride off.
Grace waited until they were out of view before going to the person she could depend on to do something, someone who has power and status.

Grace quickly rushed to the stables and grabbed a cloak to cover her face, she felt the blood run down her forehead and cheek, and she was determined not to break down yet.
She swiftly threw the hood over her head and kept her head down as she walked to the manor down the street.
Very few people happen to be walking the street due to it being afternoon and tea time.
Hurrying up the gravel pathway of an old familiar home, Grace knocked three times, being impatient.
The butler answered the door, "I require to see the Viscountess. Immediately." Grace demanded, not letting the butler's horrified look affect her.
"She is having tea in the garden with the family,"
"Please, now" Grace insisted.
"I will fetch her for you, in the meantime, Mary here will show you to the drawing room,"
"Thank you," Grace nodded, following behind Mary.

The butler made his way to the garden hastily, as he approached Anthony, Daphne, Eloise, Francesca, Gregory, Hyacinth, and Violet in the garden.
They all turned to the butler's attention. "Pardon the intrusion, but a lady is asking for you, my lady," the butler spoke.
"Who?" Violet asks.
"I did not catch her name, my lady, but she looked... very distressed. She was very insistent on meeting with you."
"Distressed?" Anthony spoke, repeating and asking the question everyone was wondering.
"Yes, my lord,"
Daphne, Anthony, and the rest of the children sat with confused faces.
"I see, is she in the drawing room?" Violet asks.
"Yes, my lady,"
"Then we must tend to our guest," Violet states, setting her napkin on the table before getting up.
"Are we to come, Mama?" Hyacinth voiced.
"If you would like," Violet expressed, causing Hyacinth to jump up from her chair and rush to her mother's side.
"Must we?" Eloise groaned.
"Do you have anything else to do sister?" Gregory asks, knowing she does not, only to get hit in the arm with her book.
"Come along, we must not keep her waiting,"  Violet spoke, grabbing the two youngest children's hands.
Grace paced back and forth, fidgeting with her fingers, anxiety-filled her, she was always good at finding a plan, but now, she did not know what to do.
Soon enough, the butler stepped in, announcing Violet, "Lady Bridgerton."
"Is it only Lady Violet Bridgerton?" Grace spoke, having her back turned to the door, still with her hood up.
"If you may?" Violet spoke, hearing footsteps leaving the room and the doors shutting.
Grace turned around, eyes glued to the floor, taking her hood off.
"Grace?" Violet questions. Grace looked up and met with her eyes. Grace held everything in, but tears started to form when Violet looked at her with sorrow.