Chapter 20

Dearest reader,
it has come to this author's attention that a horrendous, might say murderous, scandal has occurred. Lord Fawn was found dead in his estate yesterday late noon with one of his loyal servants wounded close by, near death. With Lord Fawn's treatment of past employees, it would be no wonder if one took action for the mistreatment. Whispers have also spread regarding Viscount Bridgerton taking an interest in Lady Fawn, and planning to court her this very season. Would it be possible that the Viscount alleviated her father to court Lady Fawn? Or perhaps a secret arrangement was made to make James Fawn the new Lord, due to his father's obvious mistreatment. Whatever may have occurred, plans have been established for the late lord's funeral in the coming week, and let us hope that Lady Fawn might find stabilization during this period of mourn.

Sincerely, Lady Whistledown

Violet withdrew her hand from her mouth, gathering her thoughts.
Eloise was on the edge of her seat, "What? What happened?" looking at her mother with fear after seeing her mother's reaction while reading.
Violet hands Eloise the scandal sheet as she cannot speak from being choked up.
Eloise's eyes read the sheet, "Oh my god," putting her hand over her mouth, then passed the paper to her brother.
Colin comes around behind Bendecit and reads with him.
"Oh my god," Colin gasps.
"It is no wonder why she wasn't at Lady Danbury's ball last night," Violet choked as a tear runs down her face.
"What do we do?" Eloise asks, sitting on the edge of her seat.
"Ah, Good morning family," Anthony smiles, walking into the drawing room and reaching for an apple, "Why do you all look like someone has passed?" he asks, now sensing the aura of the room.

Without speaking, Colin seizes the paper from Benedict's hands and passes it to Anthony. His face fell as his eyes read the paper. His hands clenched tightly onto the sheet, bending it in his grasp. Everyone attempted to read Anthony's face once he finished reading the pamphlet, but even with his stone-cold glare, his body language showed he was furious.
Anthony threw the pamphlet to the ground storming out of the drawing room.
"Move! Out of my way at once!"
"Anthony-" Violet stood up, following her eldest towards the stairs," Anthony, what are you going to do?" she asked, having one hand on the railing and the other over her chest.
"I do not know yet!" he shouted, shoving his morning coat on, "what I do know is, whoever did this- Once I get my hands on them-" he raged.
"What? You'll kill them? Anthony, you read what Lady Whistledown wrote, you are suspected of killing the late Lord, if you go now-" Violet cuts Anthony off.
"What? I'll look like I care for her? Well, I do!" he shouted, then pausing realizing what he has admitted out loud.
Anthony sighed, "and if I do wait, mother, it would look like I'm hiding away from my crimes, to which I did not commit," Anthony continued, positioning his top hat.
Violet strolled down a few steps and sighed, "Please be gentle. The poor girl has been through enough already," she expressed, watching her son nod before departing the estate.

Riding up to the Fawn estate, Anthony saw people coming in and out like busy bees working on their honey, keeping the hive alive. But this hive was grave, with a gloomy feel as soon as you enter the property.

Stepping into the entryway, there were three servants on the ground scrubbing the blood-dried floor, one walking up the staircase with fresh sheets while another came down with bloody ones, all looking depleted.
The smell of coffee stained the air.
Almost every servant on the floor had a cup in their hand or a cup close by. The Fawns were involved in the coffee trade throughout Europe, hence their status.
"Ahem, Pardon my intrusion. Where might Lady Fawn be?" Anthony asked a nearby tired servant who pointed to the half-open door closest to the staircase.
"Thank you," he nodded, walking towards the door. Before he could open the door even further, Anthony noticed books and papers dispersed chaotically across the wooden floor.
"Oh my," he whispered to himself, slipping through the half-opened door only to widen as he moved, forcing a creaking noise to come from the hinges.