Chapter 22

Four hours had passed, the doctor had left, Izzy took the Twins to the Bridgertons, and Grace still was unconscious. To divert himself from fear, Anthony took the liberty of going through the Fawns' papers that were outstretched across the study.

Out of the silence Anthony had gotten used to, a voice rang out, "What the hell are you doing?!" Grace shouted, frantically rushing over to her father's desk, wearing only her nightdress and an olive silk robe.

"I could ask you the same thing. Should you not be in bed resting?" Anthony abruptly got up and was pushed out of the way, "and I was trying-"

"I do not require any help, I can do this myself," Grace cut Anthony off, reorganizing the papers and trying to see what he did. "I had everything organized!" raffling through the papers, "Where is it?" Grace cried, throwing the documents in her hands down onto the ground and then running her hands over her face.

"Grace..." Anthony whispered, stepping closer only to make her flinch.

"Don't." she stepped back, holding her arm.

"Forgive me," he stepped back, resting the urge to hold her.

Grace walked over to the doorway and leaned her head out, "IZZY!" she shouted.

"She left with the Twins,"

Grace whipped her head, allowing her braid to slap the door, "WHAT!?"

"They're with my mother at home," Anthony answered calmly.

"And you didn't think to tell me?" she shouted.

"You were resting,"

"So?"

"Grace, you collapsed out of exhaustion. You need to rest. Have you eaten anything?" he asked as she paced.

She waved him off, "I don't have time, I-"

"Sit."

Grace stopped and slowly turned to Anthony "I beg your pardon?" wondering if she heard him correctly before she lost it.

"Sit." He repeated, pointing to the green sofa on the back wall of the study.

Containing her cool, she responded, "I am not a dog, Lord Bridgerton, and I do NOT like being told what to do." She stood, crossing her arms.
Anthony sighed, "Lady Fawn, will you please have a seat on the sofa?"

"For what reason?" Grace asks, testing his patience.

"Because I'm going to help you, whether you like it or not."

"I do not-"

Anthony cut her off, "Then who is going to look after you? Because it is clear to me that no one has for a very long time,"

She gritted her teeth, "I am capable of looking after myself, my Lord,"

Anthony sighed again, rubbing his temple, "Again, you collapsed out of exhaustion. I do believe you are capable nevertheless, you're not doing such,"

"You are absolutely infuriating, do you know that?" Grace pouted, falling onto the sofa, finally giving in.

"So I have been told," he rolled his eyes, filling the space next to her. "You are absolutely as stubborn as a mule, do you know that?" Anthony mocked, pouring a cup of tea and then passing it to Grace.

"So I've been told," cracking a smile as she took a sip of tea.

A stillness passed, it might have been solely for a few seconds, but it felt like minutes.
Grace decided to break it and ask the prolonged question.

"Are we going through with our engagement?"
Anthony took a few moments to respond, considering his next words carefully.

"No."

Grace's heart sank to her stomach. She felt sick. He came to her father asking for her hand in marriage, and now he was backing out.
Grace sat staring at the teacup in her lap. It wasn't the first time someone backed out in her life, the list was lengthy, all due to similar circumstances.

"I understand," she replied softly.

No movements were made; no hand reaching, no tears, nothing. She understood, in that moment, she was going to be alone in this, just like everything else.

Her world was numb, Anthony tried to speak and bid her goodbye, but she heard nothing. All of it was mutterings that made no sense, even when Izzy and the twins arrived home. She sat frozen, staring at the ground in front of her, emotionless.

Somehow Grace managed to move back to her father's desk and work on bank records, investments, anything and everything to keep herself busy and her family afloat.
She was the head of the house now, maybe not in society's eyes, but she was the man.