Chapter 24

The following week was met with condolences and lots of flowers.
It was a simple routine; they woke up, have breakfast, get dressed, the Twins would do their schooling, and Grace works in the study, followed by the constant opening and closing of the front door from people sending flowers and their condolences until dark.
No more early morning rides with Aster.
No mall ball in the park.
No social events.
Nothing.
Not even a letter or flowers from Lord Bridgerton himself.

By this time, Grace had not been outside in days, she locked herself in her father's study, working. Hair loosely braided and dressed in an ivory gown with a different colored shaw each day.
A gentle knock came on the door, "Grace? You asked to see us?" James uttered, with Ashlynn behind him.
"Yes, I have a question for you both," she took a breath, "Do you two want to stay here?"
The twins were shocked by such a question, "Of course, why wouldn't we?" James asked.
"An idea about boarding school came up," she responded, eyeing Ashlynn as she fumbled with her gown.
"Are you trying to rid us?" Ashlynn questioned, scared that her sister was trying to get rid of them.
"What? No, of course not."
James got defensive, "Then why suggest a boarding school?"
Grace sighed, glancing down at the eggshell papers before looking back up at her siblings, "Because I don't want you two going out and having to ignore the gossip and wanting to stay home just to avoid it." she continued, "I want you two to grow up happy and not fear the thought of others while maintaining an education."
"Talk is going to follow us no matter where we go," James spoke.
"James is right, Plus this is our home, so who cares if they talk,"
Anxitey filled Grace as her mind raced with possibilities, "Are you both sure? The new year starts this fall, and with everything going on-"
James stopped Grace from rambling on any further, "We're positive, we're not going to leave you,"
Grace sighed, "I just want what's best for you both,"
"What about what's best for you? You spend all your time taking care of us and others around you. What about yourself?"
Grace paused, "How about we talk about that after the ball Wednesday evening?" she grinned.
Ashlynn began to freak out, "Are you serious? Is it too soon? I mean, we just had father's funeral two days ago, aren't we supposed to still be in morning?"
"I have to agree, I mean-" James started to ramble.
"Guys, it's your fifteenth birthday, you deserve this. We all do." Grace smiled, holding each of the Twins' hands.
Ashlynn withdrew her hand and covered her mouth, "Oh my god, I have to figure out what I'm going to wear!" she panicked.
"Already covered. We are going to the modiste this afternoon, and James, would you be alright if Benedict Bridgerton took you to get a new suit? Unless you'd rather go with your sisters?" Grace smiled, trying to hold in a laugh.
James's eyes widened, "No! It's okay!" he quickly voiced before asking a question, "Why can't Robert take me?"
"Awe, he's scared his sisters are going to embarrass him," Ashlynn chuckles, causing him to roll his eyes and give her a shove.
"He's still recovering, but the doctor said that he should be able to get up and move around within the next two weeks,"
"Thank goodness," he breathed.
"Benedict will meet us at the modiste in an hour, so wash up and do whatever else you need to do,"
"Wait, we never decided on a theme!" Ashlynn quicked shouted out.
James paused, thinking, "What about the night sky? I mean, we WERE born on a full moon, and there is said to be one Wednesday night," he smiled.
"Oooh, Yes, and everyone can come in dark colors, and we can dress like the sun or something," Ashlynn chatted excitedly.
"I will have it arranged, now go get ready!" Grace laughed, shoeing the twins away.
The twins ran out of the study so fast that they almost knocked Izzy over with the tea tray.
"Whoops, sorry Izzy!" Ashlynn yelled, running up the staircase.
"You two will get hurt if you don't slow down! or hurt someone else!" Izzy yelled out into the entryway.
"I doubt they heard that," Grace laughed, causing Izzy to roll her eyes.
"Oh, I know, but at least it gives the staff a warning that they might get run over," she laughed, setting down the tea tray, "How are you feeling today, my lady?" Izzy asked, pouring Grace a cup of tea before handing it to her.
"Truthfully, very well. The Twin's birthday ball is something to look forward to, and it's a lovely break from all these documents and bills." taking a sip of her tea. "Oh, that reminds me," Grace freezes, opening one of the desk side drawers and pulling out a lavender-wrapped box, "Happy Birthday," she smiles, handing the box to Izzy.
"Oh, my lady, you didn't have to,"
"Well, I did, just like every year since we were 16," Grace laughs, "Go on, open it," she smiles, waiting for Izzy's reaction.
Opening the lavender paper, Izzy's eyes widened, "My lady, you shouldn't have," trying not to cry as she held an emblem of a hummingbird, just like the one her mother had.