Chapter 34

Grace acted as if it was just a normal day, and she sat in the drawing room awaiting suitors.

"Lord Leith Nokes, My lady," the page spoke, bowing then exiting.

"My Lord," Grace stood, extending her hand.

"Miss Grace, how are you doing this morning?"

Grace smiled, "Exceptionally well, Lord Nokes," seeing him place a vase of pink Achilleas, baby breath, and yellow Delphiniums.

"Leith," he corrected.

"Leith," Grace smiled, "Those are beautiful," she got up, smelling the fresh flowers.

"It reminded me of the yesterdays dawn,"

"Well, they are lovely and much appreciated. Please, have a seat," Grace voiced, gesturing to the sage sofa.

"I do hope I did not scare you off too much last night," he smiled, revealing a dimple.

"No, not at all. Truthfully wanted to thank you,"

Leith's eyes flickered to confusion, "Thank me?"

"Yes, for getting that man away from me,"

"You seemed to have handled it quite well by the time we arrived out there. Honestly, I was most impressed." he grinned, reaching for a cup of tea that had been set out. "Most ladies linger for a man to assist them, and or make a dramatic scene. You are very much different,"

"A good thing, I hope," Grace chuckled, taking a sip of tea.

"It's endearing," Leith smirked, "If you do not have a prior engagement, I do hope you would accompany me to the park for a ride,"

"I would like that. What time were you thinking?"

"Noon," he grinned, happy Grace accepted.

"Can we come?" a voice popped out from behind the curtains, scaring both Leith and Grace.

"ASHLYNN!" Grace shouted, then turned to Leith, "I am very sorry, My Lord. I did not know my sister was here, she is supposed to be at her riding lesson," she spoke, gritting her teeth as she gave a glare to her sister.

"Oh, it is no worries. I have siblings as well," He smiled, fixing his hair.

Ashlynn's eyes lit up as she hopped to the sofa, "Really? How many?"

"Two sisters. One is older than I, and one is younger," he grinned, giving a slight wink to Grace, making her blush.

"Are they good at pranks?" Ashlynn asks, looking like a child with Father Christmas.

Leith laughed, "No, I was the prankster. They grew very angry with me when I tormented them,"

"What kind of pranks did you do?"

Grace quickly jumped in, "No, no, my Lord, I beg you not to give her any ideas,"

"But Grace-" Ashlynn began to say, receiving a death stare, "I think I hear James calling for our lesson; pleasure meeting you, my Lord," Ash smiled, giving a quick bow before heading out of the room.

After Ashlynn left the room, Grace gave a hesitant laugh, "Extremely sorry for that, my Lord," tucking a hair behind her ear.

"It is quite alright. Family is critical." He beamed, causing Grace's heart to warm.

Between the silence, the clock rang out, causing Leith to look at his pocket watch.

"I must be going, I have other engagements to attend to, as do you I assume," Leith uttered, standing up from the sage sofa.

Grace stood up from her seat and smoothed her gown as she talked, "Yes, I have a few preparations for this evening ball for my siblings,"

"You're having a ball this evening?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, It's the Twin's fifteenth birthday,"

Leith's eyes looked to the floor, as he licked his lips, "My invitation must have been lost then," he joked, an unsettling feeling in Grace's stomach came as he spoke, but she went along with the game.

"It is for friends and family," she smiled, taking a step back.

"Well, I hope I am a friend," Leith spoke slowly, stepping forward, replacing the step Grace took back.

Grace took another step back as he drew closer to the door, "Eh, Yes, My Lord, I-"

The page quickly stepped in, "Lord Bridgerton is here Ma'am,"

Leith's face flickered to irritation, then quickly to a smile, "Have a good evening, Miss Grace," he spoke, taking her hand, kissing the top of it, "I look forward to tomorrow's engagement,"

"As do I," Grace smiled, seeing him walk past the double doors of the sitting room.

Grace walked over to the chair she was sitting in before and held onto it as she released a breath she didn't know she was holding, her back facing the door.

Grace turned as he stepped in, "Benedict, I-," her body and voice froze, "Anthony. What, what are you doing here?" she asked, confused about why he would be seeing her.

His velvet navy blue tailcoat made him look put together, the vest and collared tie were a stain navy, and he stood there with a stone face.

"I, Ahem. I've come to see how you are doing," he spoke, putting his hands together.

"Well, as you can see, I am quite well," Grace said giving a smile, stepping up to him.

"Yes, I shall leave now then," he nodded, taking a step forward.

Their bodies were less than a foot apart from one another, and yet, it felt like they were breathing on each other's necks.

Her scent invaded his nose and mind, eucalyptus and citrus. Several seconds went by, they did not move an inch, and their breathing was heavy.

"I thought you were leaving, Lord Bridgerton," Grace expressed, looking into his deep ocean eyes.

"I am," he breathed, breaking their eye contact to look at her lips.

Grace's throat was dry and closing in, "You're not moving," she swallowed.

He stepped forward, whispering in her ear, "You're breathtaking..."
Anthony bit his lip and he took a breath in, trying to remain in control.
The knock at the door made them jump apart, their hearts clearly ached for one another, but could not face the truth.

It was Izzy, "Oh, um, pardon the intrusion, but the flowers and cake are here for this evening, my lady,"

Grace swiftly pulled herself together as Anthony coughed, "Thank you, Izzy, I will be down in a moment. Are there any other callers?"

"No Ma'am, it is already noon, and the gentlemen who plan to come have been told to arrive tomorrow morning."

Grace's eyes widened, "Already?!?"

"I must be going, I am to see Abigail Darling and Claire Jenson before supper." a stab to the heart that kept turning the more he spoke.

"Of course," Grace replied, shaking her head, "Your family is coming this evening, correct?" she smiled.

"Ah, I believe so, yes. Now, if you excuse me," Anthony emitted, delivering a polite smile, exiting the Fawn estate.

"Lord Bridgerton," Grace grinned, curtsying.

(Note as of 1/8/23, taking a break from writing due to writers block and extremely busy with college. I have half a chapter written but it wouldn't be fair to everyone for only posting like 600-ish words, I'm not that cruel. Very sorry for taking so long)