Chapter 19

Before they knew it, the three of them were in Grace's room eating dinner.
No one could speak. They all stared into space, not making a single noise, and there was no doubt that gossip had already started to spread.
"Do you think Lady Whistledown will write about fathers death?" Ashlynn asks, sitting at the end of Grace's bed.
"Unfourtanty, I do," she replied sorrowfully.
"We're free, and I'm unable to tell if I feel unwell or sad, or... joyous," James spoke, realizing he was now Lord Fawn, and they were free from their father's torment.

They all felt the same, it was a sad relief.
Tears began to form in his eyes as he looked at both of his sisters.

Grace got up and stepped forward to him, wrapping her arms around his body, "I'm sorry, I never expected this to happen to us. You're still a child." she said, as a few tears fell.
"I should have spent more time studying. I know nothing," he said tearfully.
Grace sighed, "Leave it to me. You will learn as will I,"
"You require to marry Lord Bridgerton, don't you?" Ashlynn asks from the bed.
"Yes, I believe I do, now more than ever," she replied, hugging the twins.
"We're alone now," Ashlynn mutters.
"We are..."

*At Lady Danbury's Ball*

"Mother, have you seen Lady Fawn by chance?" Anthony questions, overlooking the dance floor.
"Now that you have mentioned it, I have not. Perhaps she'll be arriving late," his mother smiled, taking a sip of her champagne.
Anthony pulled out his pocket watch from his father, the same one Grace made him drop the day they met, "Mother, it's quarter to nine. Lady Danbury's ball began at seven."
"And frankly, I find it quite rude for someone not to appear at one's ball after stating they would be joining," A voice from behind spoke.
"Lady Danbury, lovely to see you this evening," Violet announces, smiling at her friend.
"And you, Lady Bridgerton," she grinned, "how is my god grandson?"
"From what Daphne has expressed, quite well, minus a few sleepless nights," Violet replied, beaming as she talked about her grandson.
"With the Duke, I can imagine," Lady Danbury winked, taking a sip of champagne as Violet choked on hers.
"Ahem," Anthony coughed, "well, it was lovely to see you again, Lady Danbury, but I'm afraid I must excuse myself for the rest of the evening," he spoke, trying not to think about his sister and close friend.
"Whatever for? From what I hear, you are planning to seek a Viscountess," Lady Danbury spoke, raising an eyebrow.

Practically flabbergasted, Anthony stammers, "It- It was an idea. However, I do not know if the noblewoman I wish would be keen,"
"What is there to relinquish, my Lord? Money or a broken heart?" Lady Danbury responded.
Anthony smiled out of politeness, "I nevertheless shall be off, I'll meet you at home, mother," he spoke, giving a kiss on her cheek before exiting the ballroom.

Violet and Lady Danbury turn and watch as Anthony exits, "I reckon I frightened the poor Viscount," Lady Danbury chuckles.
"Or a reason to pursue," Violet replies.
"He better. No one is getting any younger, Lady Bridgerton,"
"No, we're not..." Violet sighs, watching the dance floor sway with many suitors and young ladies hoping to find a match, before collecting Eloise and Benedict to end their evening.

Fresh tea, coffee, and pastries warmed the Bridgerton estate with the morning sun. Everyone sat in their morning clothes in the drawing room, munching on pastries, reading, and chatting.

"I do say, Penelope Featherington looked quite appealing last night. You should have been there, Colin," Benedict spoke before taking a bite of his croissant.
"Please, Penelope was just uninterested in being there as I was," Eloise scoffed, holding her book.
"I assumed you had a nice time with, Lord Lennon," Violet chipped in reading as she read the newspaper.
"Mother, that man spoke about pepper the entire time we danced. Pepper!"
"Well, his family does trade pepper throughout England," she replied.
"Perhaps he thought you needed more spice," Benedict laughed.
"Just when I believed you could not be any more irritating, you prove me wrong, brother," Eloise spoke, resisting the urge to hit him with her book.
"What can I say, it's a gift," he grinned.

Just then, Mrs. Wilson comes into the drawing room with a sheet of paper, "Ahem, Lady Whistledown's paper has arrived, Ma'am," handing the sheet to Violet with a pitiful face.
"Is there something wrong, Mrs. Wilson?" Violet asks.
"I would read the sheet, Ma'am," she sighed, leaving the room.

The children watched their mother's face as she read the scandal sheet.