Chapter 7

Violet's heart dropped, "Oh my dear, what happened?"
"I tried to protect them, I tried Violet, I really did," Grace spoke, breaking into a million pieces as Violet hugged her.
Violet already knew the answer to who did this, the only question that remained was about the twins.
"Are the twins okay? Did he touch them?" Violet asks, taking a step back and holding onto Grace's shoulders.
Grace shook her head, "No, I would not let him, but they saw it all. I told William, Izzy, and Alma to take them to the park. I knew they would be safe there."
"Alright, let us get you cleaned up and out of these clothes. You are staying here for the night,"
Grace gasps, "What about the twins? and- oh no, Lady Danbury's ball is tomorrow evening, I can not go looking like this," panicking about everything else but herself.
"We have room, the twins can stay here for the night as well, I am sure Gregory and Hyacinth would love someone to play with," Violet smiled warmly, giving Grace a bit of comfort.
"What about Lady Danbury's ball?" Grace asked worriedly.
"I will speak with her, I will say we were feeling unwell,"
"We?"
"Yes, we. We are not leaving you alone darling, you're safe here," Violet declared, bringing Grace into a hug, causing her to burst into tears again.
"Come, let us clean you up," Violet said, placing a hand behind Grace's back for support.
Violet opened the door to Eloise, Francesca, Gregory, and Hyacinth, standing near the doorway, overhearing Grace and Violet's conversation.
"Eloise, Please go find Mrs. Wilson and have them prepare three guest rooms. Francesca, Please find Daphne and bring her to me. Gregory and Hyacinth, would you please gather some of your night clothes?" Violet instructs her children.
"Why, Mama?" Hyacinth asks after Eloise and Francesca go and follow their mother's directions.
"Because we are going to have some guests stay the night, and they are your age," Violet smiled warmly.
"Our age?!" Gregory repeats excitedly.
"Yes, now hurry please," Violet voiced, as the little ones both ran off happily.
"Thank you," Grace whispered.
"No worries dear, come now,"
Violet held Grace's arm as they walked to one of the guest rooms, Grace kept her head down. Before they had left the drawing room, Grace made it clear that she did not want any of the servants to know for fear that more gossip would spread about her and her family.
Once they reached the room, Violet had Grace sit on the bench at the end of the bed before stepping out for a moment.
"There you are, mother, I-" a deep formal voice uttered.
"Oh! Anthony, would you get some hot water, a bottle of alcohol, and a cloth?" Violet quickly spoke, shutting the door to the guest room.
"But-"
"Anthony, please and make hast!" his mother demanded. Anthony sensed his mother's urgency and obeyed.
"You called for me?" Daphne asks, walking up to her mother.
"Yes, would you be able to find a night dress and a robe for our guest?"
"Of course, but may I ask who for?" Daphne requests.
Violet sighed, "Grace Fawn, she and her siblings are staying for the evening,"
"Do we not have Lady Danbury's ball tomorrow?" Daphne replied with a bit of shock in her voice.
"Yes, however, we might not be attending,"
"I am quite sure Eloise will be overjoyed with that news," Daphne chuckled.
"Yes, well, I believe this is more important than a yearly ball," Violet sighed.
"I'll break the 'horrid' news to Eloise, and fetch some clothes," Daphne stated, receiving a thank you from her mother.
A few minutes pass, and Violet is sitting with Grace in the guest room, the cloak she grabbed from the stables, is laid across the bed. Violet sat taking Grace's hair out, pulling out some gravel, small twigs, and anything else that happened to be caught in her hair.
Two knocks came from the door before it opened. Both Grace's and Violet's heads turned to see who it was. In the doorway stood the one and only, Anthony Bridgerton with a pitcher of hot water, a bowl with a bottle of whiskey, and two white cloths. His face went from calm to worry back to calm, keeping a straight face witnessing Grace's front coated with dirt, blood, and bruises. His body may have shown calmness, but his eyes were terrified and worried.
"Ahem, You asked for these?" Anthony spoke, breaking the silence.
"Yes, thank you, dear. Can you set them on the bedside?"
Anthony nodded, placing the bowl, water pitcher, and cloths on 8the side table. He carefully poured the hot water into the bowl, plunging one of the cloths into the water and passing it to his mother.
Grace's face winced here and there as Violet whipped the blood and dirt away. Anthony stood there staring at her in complete disbelief at how this could have happened. He felt hurt and helpless.
"Anthony, can you please hand the bottle of whiskey?" Violet asks, but Anthony is lost in his thoughts to notice what his mother had been saying until she raised her voice.
"Anthony!"
"What?" snapping back to reality.
"The whiskey," she pointed.
"Right, of course," he uttered, quickly handing the bottle to his mother and another cloth.
*Knock, knock*
Grace's, Anthony's, and Violet's eyes shot to the door.
"I'll get it," Violet spoke, taking a deep breath and standing up to open the door as Anthony stepped out of the way. Anthony moved closer to the bed, causing butterflies in Grace's stomach.
"Oh! Mrs. Wilson..." Violet spoke, stepping out into the hallway and shutting the door behind her, leaving Anthony and Grace alone.
Quietness filled the room until Grace stood up, clutched the damp cloth from the hot water bowl, and strolled over to the vanity to tend to her face.
"What happened?" Anthony spoke, breaking the silence.
"I got pulled to the ground, that's all," Grace said, facing the mirror, trying to keep it bare. She did not want to get pulled into any further questions.
"And the bruises on your chin that look to be days old?"
Grace turned her head.
"What are you doing here? You cannot be here, it is most improper without a chaperone, and you know that" Grace expressed in panic.
"It is my house, I may go where I wish," Anthony replied.
Grace was about to say something, but she stopped herself, she knew he was right, but it was still improper for them to be alone together.
He stepped forward, and she flinched.
She flinched to protect herself.
Anthony's eyes flickered from hurt to anger as he stepped back. He knew there was something she was not telling him or anyone for that matter.
"I- I must go, I need to retrieve my siblings, my lord," She quick bowed. As she reached the doorknob, he grabbed her arm, and her eyes shot to his hand and then to his gaze. He was already looking at her. He took her in, her messed up hair, her dress, her body, the small horseshoe shaped bithmark on her collarbone, everything from head to toe. Grace was burning from his eyes, she didn't know what to do. Her imitate instinct was to flee, and get away from feelings and problems, but Anthony seemed to be the one problem she could not flee from.