Chapter 9

"Must we?" James groaned.
"Yes, James, they will be expecting us. We can play later this evening, and I'm sure both Gregory and Hyacinth will be delighted to join," Grace said, pulling one of the wickets out from the ground.
"Do we have to return home to ready ourselves for dinner with the Bridgertons?" Ashlynn questions wearily.
"Would you like to?" Grace replies, shifting to the twins as they both glance awkwardly at each other.
Grace already understood their answer.
"I have an idea, but we ought to be as faint as a mouse,"Grace grinned, stepping forward to the twins.
After explaining the idea to the twins, Izzy, Alma, and William soon got on board with the plan.
"Are you positive this will work, my lady?" Alma asks as Ashlynn, James, Izzy, William, and Grace all hover by a bush on the Fawn estate.
"I believe so. I instructed the Bridgerton's driver to linger down the road so Father would not notice their carriage." Grace explains, then turns to William, "What time is it?"
"Fifteen past four," he replies.
"Fifteen past four. Alright, Father should be finishing his cigar in the gardens, then we can sneak in through the kitchen and reach our rooms."
"And if he does not?" James asks, concerned.
"Alma will go and distract him about your studies," Grace states, forcing Alma to gulp in anxiety.
"Shh, look," Ashlynn points out.
And sure enough, there he is, Fredrick Fawn, with a cigar in his mouth as Robert stands nearby.
Grace and Robert made eye contact, and his eyes widened.
Everyone else dips down behind the bush while Grace motions for Robert to stay silent.
"Whatever are you looking at, Robert?" Fredrick asks, turning around towards the bush where they hid. Grace swiftly dodged down immediately as she saw him shift.
"Uh, nothing, my lord. I was pondering about the meeting at parliament," Robert spoke up abruptly.
"Ah, yes. The room full of idiots," Fredrick spoke, taking a puff of the cigar.
"Yes, sir," Robert voiced as Fredrick tossed his cigar onto the ground, putting out the light with his foot.
"Back to work then, Robert," Fredrick spoke, walking back into the house, unaware of what was about to happen.
"Quick, William, go with James. Alma, go with Ashlynn. Izzy, please, go to my rooms and gather something. All of you make hast!" Grace harshly whispered.
"And what of you sister?" James asks.
"I require a moment with father," She spoke, getting up from the ground.
"But-" Ashlynn started to speak before James stopped her.
"It'll be okay, do not worry, sister," Jame spoke softly.
A sudden gust of courage ran through Grace's veins. She had no indication why but she suddenly reached her limit with Fredrick's actions.
"I wish to have access to our accounts," Grace demanded, forcing herself into her father's study.
"I beg your pardon?" Fredrick spoke in disbelief, looking up from his checking books.
"I wish to have access to our funds," Grace demanded again.
"You are a girl, Grace," he sighed in annoyance.
"And?"
"If James wants to know how to run a household, he can come in here himself," Fredrick shook his head, turning his attention back to the checking book he was writing in.
"And yet I am the eldest,"
"He is a man, Grace. I do not have time for this,"
"I do not think my sex shall degrade me from having access to our accounts," Grace said, crossing her arms and stepping forward.
"God, you are just like your mother," Fredrick scoffed.
"Is that such a bad thing?" she questioned.
"Go put powder on," He replied, avoiding the topic.
"Why must I? You put these there," Grace expressed, gesturing her hand towards her face where the bruises lay.
"I instructed you to go put power on, Grace," Fredrick demanded, still looking down at the checking books that lay sprawled out on the desk.
"What am I to you? Do you honestly believe what you are accomplishing is alright? The poor twins are terrified of you. Not to mention they are frightened for me every time I happen to have an encounter with you. You're pushing to wake up one day and discover you have no one. You will pass alone, and the twins and I will not mourn but be overwhelmed with the sensation of freedom. So, until you start treating us like a priority instead of an option, we will always walk away, we are your children, for bloody sake." Grace yelled in annoyance and rage, only allowing a single tear to descend from her face. While her father merely sat there at his desk with a cold gaze, utterly unphased.
At that moment, she released the grip she had been holding and finally felt alive just for a single second.