Chapter 33

Grace was baffled, yet her fight mode kicked in, "Quick, think. Groin, shove, and-"
"Punch," she said to herself, hurling a stiff punch to the man's face.
He dropped to the ground like a leaf during the fall.
The wind was knocked out of him, and he raised his hand to his mouth, tasting the thick maroon liquid. The man's eyes looked like hell, a deep fire burning within was released, and he lurched at Grace.
"Get away from her!" A booming voice rang out, running in between the man and her.
It was Leith.
Hastly, others ran out onto the terrace, including the Bridgertons.
"Oh my dear, are you alright?" Violet spoke, examining Grace's face in the dark light.
Eloise stood next to her mother, "Did he hurt you?"
Benedict, Anthony, and Leith dealt with the man who attacked her.
Grace heard a few grunts and looked to see Anthony throwing a punch at the man who was attacking her.
Benedict grasped the man's collar and shoved him away from them all, then the Queen stepped out.
"What is all this commotion?" She glared.
"That man was attacking Miss Grace Fawn, My Queen," a lady communicated, standing nearby.
"Did you see it occur?"
"Yes, Your Majesty." She bowed.
"Guards! Escort this man out and make sure he never returns to the palace." The Queen commanded.
And they did so, he was escorted out. As soon as the guards had the man in their custody, the three men swiftly went to Grace's side to confirm she was alright.
Leith was first to ask if she was alright, then Anthony followed up, "Are you positive?"
"Yes, thank you, My lords." Grace softly spoke, wrapping her arms around the shawl Eloise gave up.
"I presume she is merely shaken up, gentlemen. Let us all head inside to warm up, there is a chill out here." Violet spoke, gesturing everyone towards the stone stairs.
As they began to walk up the steps, Anthony lightly pulled Grace back, "Are you alright? Truly?"
"I am perfectly fine and fully capable of taking care of myself."
"I'm not saying you aren't, but you were just attacked," he harshly whispers.
"And yet he is the one standing with a bloody face before any of you men got here. I can handle things myself. You are not my husband or guardian, I am practically the same age as Benedict, yet you treat me as if I were a child. It's madding, you are madding" Grace expresses sternly while also trying to be hush.
"The feeling is mutual then." He glares, giving a polite bow, leaving Grace outside on the balcony.
He is so aggravating! Mixed signals and just being a total arse, Grace could scream! A hot vexing ass, three words to describe Anthony Bridgerton.
Hot.
Vexing.
Ass.
The "Incident" essentially concluded the ball, the Queen had two guards escort Grace home and stay with her for the next 48 hours. Even after that catastrophe, more came in the morning.

Dearest reader,

The Queen finally made her choice. Miss Grace Fawn is this season's diamond. Though most are conflicted with Her Majesty's choice, the likely reason Her Majesty selected this particular lady is simply because she took pity. Yes, Miss Fawn is appealing and wise it is clear the only reason their family is not in ruin is the Queen herself.
Nevertheless, whispers floated that Miss Abigail Darling was up for the running.

In other news, it has come to this reader's attention that blood was in fact spilled last evening at the Queen ball by none other than Miss Grace Fawn herself. A scandal indeed, the Queen's diamond herself, allegedly was attacked and resisted, rendering her attacker to exit with a red stain down their face.

Props to her for upholding herself, but at her debut ball? This Author is most impressed and most disappointed.

"Great, this is just great," Grace says, throwing the paper onto the breakfast table.
"I think you did rather well, Sister. If it were I, that man would not be alive." James spoke as he took a bite of his scone with raspberry jam.
"Weren't the Brigdertons there?"
"Yes, why?"
"Because I know Anthony and Benedict would kill that man for you,"
"Why would they do that, Ash?" Grace practically laughed.
"Are you serious?" Ash stared, then looked at her twin, "James, is she serious?"
"It is hard to tell,"
"I am, why would you say such a thing, Ashlynn?"
"Because both of them are utterly in love with you, and Anthony gave you a heartfelt speech declaring his love and apologizing."
"Not to mention Benedict was asking about you while we were out for suits, and stayed long after to make sure we were alright while you went to the Queen."
"And they both linger after you leave, almost as if they were smelling the air," Ashlynn laughed, taking a drink of her milk.
That moment, it came to her.
Shit.
Is she in love with both brothers?

At the Bridgerton estate....

"She is pretentious, thinks she can get her way, and quite sure she knows what is best for herself and her siblings," Anthony grumbles, blocking Colin's blade.
"Oh yes, a woman who would like to control her own life, sounds like a nuisance," Colin faking the agreement.
Benedict gets up from the garden bench, "Especially since you are the one who knows best in every situation," crossing his arms.
Anthony rolled his eyes, "Less talk, more fencing." he voices as Colin and Benedict switch places.
"So what are you to do now?"
"My duties, I know what my purposes are and how to obtain them. Which I will do when I make Miss Abigail Darling my viscountess."
"I thought you wanted to wed the Diamond, brother?" Colin smirked, sitting from the bench as Benedict crossed Anthony's arm with the blade.
"Miss Abigail and I are well suited, she is a lovely young lady and wishes for children. She'll make a perfectly agreeable wife."
Benedict butted in, "What he means to say is that Miss Grace has already rejected our dear brother,"
Anthony gritted his teeth, "No. No, that is not what happened."
"Regardless of which young lady I pursue, there would always be some obstinate father, sister, or mother, but in this case, it is the young woman herself." he huffed, blocking Benedict's strike.
"Who are we talking about again?" Colin asks, taunting him.
Anthony pauses and looks at Colin, "You do know I am holding a sword, correct?" as he says that, Benedict strikes Anthony's foot and then his chest, forcing him onto the green grass.
"You do know you're on the ground, correct?" Benedict grins, holding out his hand to his older brother, just for him to roll his eyes and take it.
Anthony got up, brushing his trousers off, "Do you think she is taking suiters this noon?"
"Who? Miss Grace or Miss Abigail?" Benedict inquiries.
"Miss Fawn. I have already planned on visiting Miss Darling today." Anthony replied, placing his fencing sword in its holder.
"I believe so, but I doubt anyone will come," Colin laughed, taking a bite of an apple.
Anthony raised an eyebrow, "Why is that?"
"Would like to court a lady whose been attacked?" Colin replied, taking another bite.
Silence.
"My point."