Chapter 23

Rain hit the windows of the estate late into the night. The subtle white noise was a lullaby while Grace worked. While most might be frightened by the sound of a strong storm, she was comforted by it.

"My Lady," the voice of a close friend interrupted.

It was Izzy, Grace paused, looking up, "Yes?"
"William Poke is here," she spoke from the doorway.

Grace glanced at the clock, "It's nearly eight," she sighed, "send him in,"

A hefty older gentleman with graying hair stepped in, holding a briefcase.
"Lady Fawn," he conveyed, kissing her hand, "I apologize for my tardiness. I was in Paris when I obtained news of your father's death." assuming the chair across from Grace.

"It's quite alright. Shall my siblings be fetched for this conversation?" Grace asked, hoping not to disturb them.

"I believe that would be best," he agreed.
Grace nodded at Izzy, who quickly left to collect the Twins.

"Can I have the servants bring you anything? Perhaps some tea?"

"Might be for the best," giving a pitty smile. Once Izzy returned with the Twins, she gave the request, leaving them alone to talk about the unknown.

Grace stood from the desk and faced the twins who sat on the olive green sofa, "James, Ashlynn, this is William Poke, Father's lawyer."
William stood, and shook both the Twins' hands, then he proceeded to open his briefcase and pull out a file.
There was an unsettling sense throughout the room. Everyone was on edge.

"I, Fredrick Edward Fawn, leave this Will and testament in the chance of my untimely death. I wish to be buried in the London Cemetery at dusk, next to your mother, Blair Fawn."

"Hold on for a second. WHAT!?" Ashlynn blurted out.
James spoke right after his sister, "I have to agree, what? Our mother is dead?"
"We were told she fled to the country," Grace added.
"I believe there is something about that in here," William spoke, scanning through the Will, "Ah, here it is,"

"I must confess something because if not, I may not be able to enter heaven above. Your mother was killed... and I was the one who did it. She did not run off to the country, it was just a cover-up for you, children, and society I'm sorry."

"Oh my god, we all knew he was dreadful, but this-" Grace expressed, putting a hand up to her mouth.
"No one even questioned it"
A silence passed of utter disbelief then Ashlynn spoke, "He could have done that to you," looking up at Grace.
William continued reading their father's Will.

"Jameson Albert Fawn. As the new head of the house, I pass all titles and wealth onto you, including your sister's dowries. My adviser, Kendall, will assist you in understanding the coffee trade, which you are now the moderator of.
    Ashlynn Isla Fawn. When you marry, you will acquire access to one hundred pounds and two family jewels.
    Grace Charlotte Fawn. I leave you in charge of your sibling's studies and well-being. As the eldest, I expect you to marry adequately and make sure your siblings do as well."

    James stood up abruptly, "WHAT!? How the hell is that fair!" he shouted as his face fumed red.

"James!"

"What? Was it because I'm angry and said hell? I am angry. You spent your entire life being perfect for Father, and then you get instructed to keep doing what you've been doing since we were born?!"

"James, Please, it's alright," Grace voiced quietly, trying to shut this down.

"No, it's not alright. You've been more of a mother than a big sister because of what he did! How is that okay? You try to hide the bruises, the cuts, and the crying from us, but we hear and see what he did all the time to you and the staff!"

"James..." his twin sister whispered, attempting to calm him down.

Jame cut his sister off, "No, Ash. You know I'm right, and I have no sympathy for him. He can rot in hell." then vacated the room.

The room came to a silence when James left. The air was uneasy, and it made Grace sick.
Grace quickly collected herself, then cleared her throat, "Ahem, I have to apologize about my brother Mr. Poke, I presume he is still grieving." fidgeting with her fingers.

"Of course," William nodded, "I shall leave this copy with you then," laying a sheet of paper on the desk, then standing up, "I hope you have a good rest of your evening, and I give my condolences,"

"Thank you," Grace nodded, walking William Poke to the exit, saying their goodbyes. By the time Grace got back to the study, Ashlynn had already departed.