Chapter 28

The rise of the sun pierced through the sheer curtains letting the sunrays radiate onto Grace's resting face; for that moment, everything was still; the house was quiet and tidy, chaos was nonexistent, and it looked like a painting, a beautiful calm, chaos-free painting. A scene from a dream, but even dreams only last so long.

"My lady, it's time to wake if you desire your morning ride with Aster," Izzy whispered, slanting down to where Grace rested.

Grace grumbled, tossing a pillow over her head, "Why can't the night have more hours?"

Izzy chuckled, walking over to the armoire, "As soon as I can converse with the Sun and Moon, I shall let them know of your request," laughing as she pulled out one of Grace's riding dresses and pair of boots.

Grace sighed and sat up, not willing to move out of bed just yet, "Is everything ready for this afternoon?" rubbing her face, already sensing the strain of the day.

"Yes, the kitchen is already working like busy bees, and I have people cleansing the estate and arranging the outdoor seating,"

"And the ball invites?" Grace questions, ultimately moving to the vanity to fix her disarrayed hair.

"Are being finished as we speak and will be sent out before this noon," Izzy smiled, reconstructing the ruined bed.

Grace shifted to face Izzy, "What about-"

"My lady, breathe. You must relax; there is nothing to stress over at this moment and everything that needs to be taken care of. I shall see to it." Izzy expressed, attempting to reduce the panic on Grace's face.

She took a lengthy breath, "Okay, you're right. There is nothing we can worry about right now, and we cannot control the future," Grace turned, looking back at herself in the mirror.

"Good, now, purple or yellow this morning?" Izzy smiled, holding up two dresses.

"Mmm, purple the yellow is-"

"Too bright? And a happy color?" Izzy jumped in, finishing Grace's sentence.

Grace laughed, "Possibly,"

"Well, it's a step up from a forest green," Izzy chuckled, placing the yellow dress back in the armoire.

"Hey, I wore a sage gown a few weeks ago,"

"That is true, and I guess you would like your usual dark green cloak, then?" Izzy grinned, already knowing the answer.

"Yes, please, and would you be able to see if the kitchen can pack a small breakfast? I might sit and write for a bit in the garden or park." Grace smiled to herself.

"Of course, I'll even have them pack an extra apple for Aster," Izzy laughed, exiting the room and leaving Grace to dress.

Grace quickly put on a long sleeve deep purple silk gown, tall stockings, and her riding boots and placed her hair into a simple side braid before grabbing her satchel with a new notebook she had just purchased the other day at the shop and heading out.

The crisp morning air was precisely what she required, the chirpings of birds, thin fog amongst the grass, and the aroma of fresh nature. It did not matter where she roamed; nature was the only thing that felt like home, the only thing that felt safe.

"Enjoying your victory this morning?" a voice came riding up.

"I beg your pardon?" Grace spoke in defense, not turning to face the voice just yet.

Lord Bridgerton.

His face broke into a cocky grin, "You seem to have captured the heart of my dear brother and have been chosen as this season's diamond. A victory, I shall say, for a Lady with your circumstances."

Did she just hear him right? "A lady with your circumstances?" Oh, hell no.

"Excuse me? My circumstances?" she practically laughed.

"Well, of course, you have everything you could possibly want handed to you," he said in a slight tone.

"Lord Bridgerton, I fought for what I have, and I'm still fighting every damn day. You have no right to wish me lucky."

"Well-"

"If anyone is lucky, it is you; no one doubts your authority or direction; you are a man. We both lost a parent and had to take control of the household, and yet no one questions you."

Anthony was too stunned to speak but kept a straight face. He crossed a line and just now realized it.

He only met her a few weeks ago but could already tell she's changed. You could see it in her eyes, feel it in her touch, hear it in her tone. The innocent, quiet girl was gone, and she was never coming back.

"I hope you realize if you are imitated by my strength, that's a weakness of yours," she glared, riding back to the estate, leaving Anthony in his thoughts.

He fucked up big time, and he knew it.

Walking back into the estate, Grace was greeted with too much energy, "Grace! Grace! There you are. What do you think of my dress for the garden party this afternoon?" Ashlynn smiled, twirling in her new gown.

"It's lovely; I love the coral color, but why are you dressed already? The party does not start for another couple of hours." Grace asked, putting her things away as Ashlynn trailed behind.

"I was just trying it on, but it isn't gorgeous!" she grinned again, twirling again, causing Grace to laugh.

"Yes, it is. Now go change; I don't want you to get that dirty before the party."

"Fine," Ashlynn groaned, heading up the stairs.

"Ash, where is James?" Grace asked.

"I think he's sitting with Robert," she yelled to her sister, running off to her room.

"Knock, knock. May I come in?" Grace said, opening the door to Robert's room, where he sat in bed with James at his side.

"Of course, my lady," Robert nodded, sitting up.

"How are you feeling?"

"Much better, I was hoping to come to the garden party, but James here won't break me free from this room," he laughed, causing him to wince in pain at his side.

Grace pointed at his side, "That is likely why; you are not healed just yet." she spoke, taking a seat at the end of the bed.

"What are you talking about? I could undoubtedly beat you both at fencing right now."

"Only in your dreams," James laughed, knowing he beat Robert the last time they fenced.

"Your job is to rest and get better; you can beat James at fencing when you're better," Grace smiled.

"We'll see about that one," James defended.

Grace stood up, smoothing out her gown, "Well, I still have some things to attend to before the party, but let us know if you need anything, and James, you best be dressed by one. Guests will start to arrive at two." giving James a stern look.

"I will," he rolled his eyes.

"Good, and Robert, again, if you need-"

"Anything to let you guys know, I'm aware. Now, go and put on the best garden party the ton has seen," he smiled.

Stepping out of the room, Grace was determined to enjoy herself; life's challenges would not make her bitter, merely better. She looked back on her old life and wished it goodbye. She was never going to be that person ever again.