Chapter 16

"Thank you," Grace muttered, standing up from her seat and quickly exiting the room to calm her heart. She had to go into the lion's den, and there was no way of escaping that.
Splashing some water onto her face, Grace looked into the mirror. She knew this was coming, so why was she so nervous?

One foot in front of the other, Grace found herself at the Viscount's study, knocking twice before hearing a distracted "come in".
There sat Anthony Bridgerton inscribing a couple of papers, unphased that Grace stood before him.
"Please, make yourself comfortable, Mother is out with Eloise still," he murmured, gesturing toward the olive sofa, concentrating on the writings before him.

The Bridgerton's study was anything but bright. The walls were painted in a deep forest green, lined with spruce wood, and rows of books. Very grim compared to the rest of the Bridgerton estate.
Allowing her eyes to wander the room, Grace detected a book on Anthony's desk, shockingly similar to her journal.
"May I ask where you got that book?" Grace asked, causing Anthony to freeze.
"Ahem, which book?" He replies, adjusting himself.
"The royal blue one with gold celestial markings. Strangely enough, it's almost identical to mine," Grace laughs lightly.
Anthony sighs, "That's because it is."
"I beg your pardon?"
"This dawn-"
"That was you!" Grace expressed abruptly, standing up from the olive sofa, "You must be determined to marry me if you are lurking on me, my lord," she uttered, in a stern voice.
"No, not-"
"Oh, so you do not want to marry me!"
"God, you are infuriating. I am trying to save you, Lady Fawn!" Anthony shouts, standing up from his chair.
"Save me? I am not a damsel in distress. I do not require saving!" Grace shouted back.

Placing both hands on the sides of his desk, Anthony reads aloud the words he read not long before, "Page 28, She is vigorous, despite being depleted. Page 16, Merely because I accept it so pleasingly does not mean it is not grave. Page 45, The sensation of freedom is like a dove, yet everyone has a story and a chapter no one reads aloud, attaching the dove to a chain.
The imperfect little girl was still waiting for her happy ending while her companions all got theirs.
Sometimes you consider vanishing, whereas all you want is to be found." He paused, "Shall I continue?"
Grace was fuming at this point.
"This is a journal of brokenness! I am doing the gentlemanly thing and asking for your hand in marriage to save you from him!" He yelled. A gunshot to Grace's heart. Was she truly that damaged?

"No woman should be treated the way you are, and I am trying to aid you," he sighed, striding over to his sofa.
Grace maintained her breath as he got closer.
"You drive me mad in ways I cannot express, Lady Fawn," Anthony whispered, letting his breath grace her neck.
All she could do was stand there, her body froze, but her mind was racing with vigorous ideas. What if she took action to those ideas? Would it be too soon? Would it be returned?
"Oh, for the love of god, shut up," Grace murmured to herself, crashing her lips onto Anthonys.

*knock, knock*
"Anthony, dear, are you in there?" Hearing violet's voice through the door.
"For bloody sake," he groans, "Yes, come in" He shouts, forcing Grace's eyes to go wide with fear.
"Be angry," Anthony quickly whispers, before getting back behind his desk.
"Angry?" Grace repeated, wondering if she heard him right.
"Yes-"
"There you- oh, Grace, I do hope you have not been here long," Violet questions, raising an eyebrow.
"No, I had just come in to see Lord Bridgerton reading through the journal I had lost," Grace replied, crossing her arms.
"I beg-"
"My name is on the first page, my lord," she gritted her teeth.
"Well-"
"Anthony, I thought I raised you better," Violet frowned.
"Ahem. May we begin the real conversation at hand, please?" Anthony implored.
"I suppose," Grace stated, taking a seat on the olive sofa.
"Wonderful!" Violet smiled, taking a spot alongside her.

"I have considered your offer over carefully, Lord Bridgerton. However, I do have questions about my safety along with the twins,"
"Of course," Anthony nodded, folding his hands together.
"As do we," His mother smiled warmly.
"What would happen if I do accept?" Grace asks, weary.
Violet sighs as Anthony fixes his posture, "You and Anthony will court for a few weeks, attend a few balls and lunches. Then, we shall announce your happy engagement." Violet grins.
"That sounds so unproblematic, it could not possibly be accurate." Grace laughed lightly, then sighed.
Sorrow filled the room by now, as a few seconds of silence felt like minutes.
"I am not a man of violence. However, in the past few days, I've never wanted to kill a man more."
"Anthony-"
"What? Mother, you have met that man. Everyone in this room has witnessed or experienced the authentic Frederick Fawn,"
"If I shall accept, can you ensure we will be safe?" Grace asks.
Anthony and his mother look at each other in uncertainty.
An idea comes to Grace, "Violet, do you believe we might be able to get a meeting with the queen?"
"We're acquainted, but I know of an individual much closer to the queen," Violet grinned.
"Perfect, then, I shall... accept your offer, my lord," exhaling the breath she did not know she was holding.