Chapter 26

"Bonjour, Dame Fawn and Miss Fawn. What are we looking for today" Madame Delacroix spoke with a heavy French accent.
"Bonjour, Madame Delacroix, I have two gowns to get fitted and picked up. My Lady's maid came and ordered them a few weeks ago."
"Ah, oui, the golden yellow ray of sun and the black and white gown with a matching golden sash,"
"Oui," Grace smiled, holding Ashlynn's hand.
"Une moment," she voiced, rushing to the back.
Ashlynn turned and whispered, "How did you know I would want the golden yellow?"
"I didn't. Father ordered the same dress in every color as your birthday gift. I caught the receipt when going through his bank statements."
"He did?"
"He did," Grace sighed, looking off into the distance.
"Oh," Ashlynn spoke, glancing at the ground.
Grace turned and looked into her sister's hazel eyes, "He loved you both, and now you have seven new dresses," Grace smiled, despite feeling a pit in her stomach. She never got treated with such kindness by her father, and frankly, it hurt that her sister has.
Soon Madame Deacroix stepped out with two stunning gowns, "Vous voilà, flawless if I must say so myself,"

"Ce sont beaux, Madame," Grace spoke, gazing at the golden tulle and the beading matching the floral designs

"Yes, they are beautiful. Thank you, Ms. Delacroix," Ashlynn beamed, brushing the fabric of the golden gown.
"Would you like to try it on?" Madame Delacroix smiled, laughing when Ashlynn's eyes lit up, nodding her head excitedly.
Madame Delacroix and Ashlynn headed to the dressing room, and not long afterward, Ashlynn stepped out looking like a golden ray of sunshine.
"Awe, Ash, you look exquisite," Grace uttered, feeling herself get teary-eyed.
"No, no, please do not cry," Ashlynn laughed, peeking at her sister through the mirror.
"Am not!"
"You are too!"
"Okay, fine, maybe a little bit." she laughed, brushing a tear off her cheek.
"Stay still, Madame Fawn," Delacroix muttered, revising the hem on Ashlynn's gown.
"Sorry, Ms Delacroix. Grace, are you going to try your gown on?"
"I reckon I should do that, huh?" Grace giggled, standing up from a stool she was sitting on.
"La gown is hanging up, waiting for toi,"
"Merci," she voiced, strolling to the dressing room.
Slipping the jet black and cream-white velvet gown on, Grace couldn't help but think what it would be like if she was dressing in her wedding gown. She wanted to find love. She wanted to be loved, but that fate seems farther and farther to reach each day. A goal she could never achieve.
"Grace, are you dressed yet? I want to see how you look!" Ashlynn yelled, desiring to see how ravishing her older sister looked.
"If you had any patience, you would know I'm about to step out Ash," Grace laughed, knowing how impatience her sister was.
Grace looked absolutely captivating, black velvet laid over the white with some leftover golden tulle from Ashlynn's gown overtop the white, matched with a golden yellow sash fastened around the waist.
"Wow..."
"A bad wow?"
"NO! Not at all! If you look like that, I cannot imagine how enchanting you would look in your wedding dress,"
"Well, I do not see that happening anytime soon, but thank you, Ash," Grace smiled, gazing at herself in the mirror.
Grace and Ashlynn headed back to the dressing room, "Shall I have these wrapped, Madame Fawn?" Ms. Delacroix spoke, having the gowns handed back to her.
"Oui, and merci," Grace smiled to herself, changing back into her original gown.
While Delacroix boxed their new dresses up, the bell at the top of the door rang.
A short older looking gentleman walked in, dressed in regal garments.
Grace's face went pale as a ghost, "Brimsley..." she whispered under her breath.
"Ahem, I'm looking for Lady Grace Fawn," he announced, keeping his character.
Ashlynn tugged Grace's arm, "Who is that man?" she whispered, wondering who this strange man was.
"Uh, I do not know. Um, Ash, can you remain here for a moment?" Grace asked, ignoring her sister's nod, walking towards Brimsley.
"I am she,"
"May we step outside for a moment?" he asked, gesturing towards a breathtaking carriage.
"Uh, Yes. But first, may I trouble you for the time?"
"Almost quarter to five, ma'am," Brimsley spoke, glancing at his pocket watch.
"Please provide me a few minutes to attend to my siblings before we speak," Grace asked, giving a polite nod before turning to her sister.
"Ash, can you carry your gown?"
She nodded, "Alright, I shall see if Benedict can take you both home," Grace spoke, picking up her gown, and guiding her sister outside.
"What about your other dresses Madame?" Delacroix spoke from behind the counter.
"We shall have them delivered. Thank you again, Madame Delacroix," Grace called out, exiting the modiste.
As they exited, Grace saw James and Benedict walking up the pavement. "Benedict! May I trouble you?"
He smiled, seeing her walking closer, "For you? Not at all. What do you need?"
"Would you be able to take the twins home? I have someone to attend to," Grace asked, slightly moving her eyes towards Brimsley, who stood next to the breathtaking carriage.
"Ah, I see. No, it would be no trouble at all," he smiled, placing his hand on Jame's shoulder.
She sighed a breath of relief, "Thank you, I am in your debt,"
"Then we shall set a time for you to pose for me,"
"I beg your pardon," Grace said, stepping back in shock.
Benedict quickly realized how improper that sounded and began to stumble over his words, "No- I mean- Ahem, what I imply is I require someone to paint, and if one is willing, we shall arrange a day for it," he smiled, despite being embarrassed.
"Uh, of course. Perhaps we can discuss such at the Twin's birthday ball," she voiced, trying to quicken the conversation.
Grace turned to her siblings, "You both better be exemplary for Benedict and Izzy when you arrive home. If not, I will have this ball canceled,"
James looked at her with confusion, "No, you won't,"
"You're right, I won't. We need this."
"And we cannot face any more scandal," Ashlynn added.
"Oh, whatever, please be good, I will try and hurry back," Grace expressed, delivering a quick goodbye hug to her siblings.
Grace looked up at Benedict, "Thank you again,"
"It is no trouble at all, I wish you luck," he smiled, handing the dress boxes to the coach.
Tea time was upon them, so she would have to deal with this quickly, to not cause scandal, that is the last thing she needed.
Grace made haste to the older gentleman that was waiting for her.
"Uncle."