Chapter 21

A head shot up, darting in Anthony's direction, Grace Fawn with bloodshot eyes, misgovern hair, and wearing the dress from the day before, but was now wrinkled and stained with blood.

The desk she sat at was as misgovern as she was, papers layered on top of each other overflowing onto the ground, an empty cup of coffee to her right as multiple burnt-out candles sat melted, leaking over the desk. All in all, complete disarray.

Grace stood up, "Lord Bridgerton, what are you doing here?" she bowed, still employing her manners despite losing her energy hours ago.
Anthony was shell-shocked as he examined Grace, she looked physically drained, like a soldier who has not eaten or slept in days and had seen... well, death.
"Please, sit. There is no need for formalities," He spoke, as she sat down in her father's chair.
"Look, if you're here to talk about why I did not attend Lady Danbury's ball, I'm sorry. Some things came up that I had to take care of," she spoke, rubbing her temples.
Anthony looked down, "Yes, I am aware."
"It's already in the papers isn't it?"
"Yes..."
"Merde," Grace sighed, to herself, holding her head in frustration.
"Look, if you need-"
"No. No, Anthony, I do not need help," She stood up, "what I need is to find my father's lawyer to access his will, his bank manager, and financial adviser, and to organize all these goddamn documents!" gesturing to the desk and floor, about to break.
"When did you eat last?" he questioned, catching Grace off guard.
"What?" she repeated, stopping in her place by a bookshelf.
"When did you eat last?" he asked again.
"I, I don't know, breakfast yesterday morning? The Twins had dinner in my room last night." trying to think, feeling like the room was closing in on her, she attempted to step forward but started to stumble.
"Lady- Grace," he began to speak.
She came crashing down.
Anthony barely caught her before her head hit the ground, "Grace?" he sort of laughed, thinking this was a joke.
Realizing she was not playing, he began to panic, "Hey, come on now. Wake up, stay with me." he urged, trying to pat her awake.
Anthony sat her up, putting her weight on his body, "My god. You're burning up," feeling his hands warm as their skin touched.
Anthony picked Grace up bridal style, lifting her as easily as a baby bird.
Stepping out of the room a footman gasped, "My Lord! What happened?" looking at his employer's lifeless body.
"Where is her room? She needs a physician," Anthony hollered, following the scared footman up the stairs.
"My god, Grace!" Ashlynn freaked out, standing outside Grace's doorway in her nightdress.
Completely ignoring Ashlynn, Anthony passed her and placed Grace on her bed, "Call the physician! She's burning up!" He shouted.
"What's going on," James asks, stepping into the room, and rubbing his eyes after being woken up by all the commotion.
"I do not know," Ashlynn replied, moving next to her bother, attempting to stay out of the way as servants scurried around.
Anthony looked at the Twins, "She did not eat with you last evening, correct?"
James stood straighter, "Correct,"
The physician plowed into the room, shouting, "What the bloody hell happened?"
"She fell unconscious while we were speaking," Anthony explained, moving out of the way, closer to the Twins.
"Why are we losing everyone we care about?" Ashlynn muttered, turning to her brother.
Anthony's heart sank hearing Ashlynn speak, this family has been through enough already, and now they might lose their sister, their only guardian.
Izzy soon came into the room after being fetched by a fellow servant, "Come, children, let the physician work," she expressed, motioning the children to vacate.
Sorrowfully, they stepped out, with Izzy following closely behind.
"Pardon me," Anthony spoke, causing Izzy to pause and turn to him, "if the twins would like to be at the Bridgerton estate in the meantime, they may. I am sure Gregory and Hyacinth would have no objections," he offered, giving a small warm smile.
Izzy smiled back, "I shall let them know, thank you, my lord," giving a bow before catching up with the twins.