Chapter 30

Violet stood from a distance watching James, Ashlynn, and Hyacinth play while she talked with two other Ladies of the ton, "Pardon my intrusion, Violet, may I have a word?" Grace requested, pulling Violet off to the side.
"Of course, dear, whatever is it?" Violet asked, looking concerned.
Grace sort of laughed, "I have been informed that Anthony is here and in the gardens, would you accompany me to speak to him?"
Shocked that her eldest was here at the garden party, she accepted, following Grace to the garden.
"I did not think you would come." She spoke, spooking Anthony as she quietly stood behind him, with his mother not far back.
"I wish to apologize. I came to a realization..."
"Which is?" Grace voiced, crossing her arms.
"You did not need saving; you never did." he sighed, taking a seat on a nearby spruce bench, "The urge to place a strand of your deep brown hair behind your ear and whisper sweet things to you is overwhelming. I may be the man, but you have the power, and I cannot seem to stay away."
Grace did not advance, her heart gushed a little, but she did not move.
Anthony stood up and looked Grace in the eyes, "Please tell me I am not as forgettable as your silence is making me feel."
"I vowed to myself that I would remain unmarried until a man shows me love, the type of love people dream and write about. You, Anthony, desire marriage for status and an heir." Grace looked back at him dead in the eyes, "I grew up faster than I needed to; it made me lonely. There was a time when I would do anything to save my family, including marrying a man who shut himself away from everyone just to prevent a scandal."
Anthony began to cut in, "I understand-"
Grace held her hand up, pausing him. "I did not finish. I will not fall to my knees at your feet because you confessed your desire for me, Anthony. You have not been there in any time of need if anything, Benedict has. I am learning my value and to love myself, and I will not stand here if you do not put in the effort. Marriage and relationships take effort; I will not go into something if it is going to be one-sided. I am sure you can talk with Daphne and or your mother about it."
Anthony coughed, "Grace, please-" reaching for her hand.
"No, Anthony. If you want someone to fall to your feet, I suggest Lady Cowper. And you can burn the journal." She spoke, departing the garden, leaving Anthony and his mother alone.

As Grace walked out of the garden, she saw the Queen strolling up to her.
"Miss Grace, I must take my leave and ready for this evening's ball, but please arrive an hour earlier than the rest of the guests. I have some items for you." She smiled, then exited the garden.
Not long after, other guests came up, stating their goodbyes and departing. Soon everyone was gone, and it was time to get ready.

"I mean, can you believe it?! He confessed his desire for me and practically expects me to fall to his knees!" Grace describes as she steps into the tub Izzy prepared.
"Well-"
"I suppose I would do that if Father was still alive, but also, I would not have a choice in the matter, but seriously!" Letting the water splash around her as she vents.
"Perhaps-"
"And honestly, is that how he thinks he's going to get a woman? I suppose if I was an imbecile like Lady Cowper I would be drawn, but even Lady Whistledown would be appalled!"
"Can you-"
"Izzy, the man said, and I quote, 'I may be the man, but you have the power,' Is that sexist? Rude? I mean, I hope I have power, the Queen seems to think so but-"
"My Lady, if you do not hold still, this soap will get in your eye, and your issues with Lord Bridgerton shall be put on hold until after the ball. After all, the Queen technically is holding this ball in your honor."
Grace sighed, taking a deep breath, "You're right,"
"And if it counts, you do not need a man, no matter what the ton or society says. The Queen sees something in you, Ten years from now make sure you can say that you chose your life, and you did not settle for it. As the Queen said, you have power, use it." Izzy smiled, as she finished rubbing the soap in Grace's hair.
"I should marry you, Izzy," Grace laughs as Izzy pours water over Grace's head, "You're the only one who truly understands and has never left my side,"
"I'm flattered. However, there is someone, and I was wondering if I could have tomorrow afternoon off," Izzy announces after Grace dunks her body under the water.
Water floods Grace's body, "What?!?" She choked, coming out of the water "DO TELL!" She yelled, forcing Izzy to laugh.
Izzy took a seat next to the tub, "His name is Edward, he's a soldier in the Queen's guard,"
Grace whips the excess water from her face and places her arms on the side of the tub, "How did you both meet?" She smirked, laying her head on her hands.
"In the market, off duty. Miss Eloise was there by the printing shop. Honestly, I think he was spying on her, but we got to talking, and he offered to take me to lunch at the cafe on the corner," she glowed.
Grace got all giddy, "How exciting! Oh, please borrow my orange day dress, it would look ravishing on you. Edward would want to marry you right then and there."
Izzy looked all shyly, "No, I couldn't."
"Izzy, we all know orange is your color, it makes your silky opaque hair and tan skin glow. Actually no. Keep it, I rarely wear it, and everyone deserves to feel like a princess."
The color from Izzy's face drained, "No, My lady, I could not." She stuttered.
"Izzy, you are family, if anything, I am sharing a gown with my sister," Grace spoke, taking Izzy's hands into hers.
"I do not know what to say," she began to cry.
"No, do not get all teary," Grace said, standing up in the tub, allowing water to trickle down her bare body, "After all, we have a ball to get ready for, do we not?" She smirked.
"That we do, My Lady," Izzy grinned, passing a towel to Grace.
"I'm going to Lady Danbury this shit," she grinned, stepping out of the tub as badass as ever.