Chapter 32

A very handsome blonde gentleman stepped forward offering his hand to Grace. His hair was a dirty blonde, short on the sides, and a wavy top, a few strands fell over his forehead as he bowed. His eyes were a hard mix of hazel and green. Like the sun rising for the dawn, a beautiful occurrence, a breath of fresh air.
His eyes were as captivating as his smile, nothing devilish. But a true I want to know you smile.
"Ah, Lord Nokes, have you yet met my new incomparable?" The Queen spoke, standing slightly behind Grace.
"I am most grateful for the introduction, Your Majesty. Would Miss Fawn allow me the greatest pleasure of a dance?" He asked, offering his hand.
Grace turned and looked at the Queen, asking for permission.
She gave a slight nod and smiled as Grace took Lord Nokes's hand.

(Play This Love by Taylor Swift while reading)
The orchestra began as Grace took the hand of Lord Nokes, everyone spaced out creating a circle for the two.
"You look gorgeous, Miss Fawn," he smiled, shifting to the melody.
"You look just as endearing, Lord Nokes," Grace grinned as she swayed.
"Leith, just Leith." He spoke ever so warmly, twirling her into himself.
"Then I shall be just Grace," she expressed, relaxing more as they danced.
Other guests joined in as they continued, they floated around them as if they each were in their own world. A magical land where nothing can go wrong, everything was perfect and loving.
Even with the sensation of feeling alone in that ballroom, Grace could not help but try and seek the Bridgerton brothers. Without a doubt, she found Benedict's eyes, he stood off to the side, watching her dance with another man.
Then she overhears a familiar voice close by, practically integrating someone. Viscount Bridgerton was dancing with Lady Abigail Darling; the sweetest soul in London was being questioned right on the dance floor.
"Is my dancing boring you, Miss Grace?" Leith asks, catching Grace off guard.
"No, of course not. I just seemed to have gotten distracted. My apologies," she replied, attempting to re-focus.
"Is it the Viscount's integration to the poor Lady Darling?" He asks, raising an eyebrow.
"Yes," Grace frowned, as she continued dancing.
"And he calls himself a gentleman," Leith scoffs, rolling his eyes.
Immediately, Grace got defensive, like a red light went off in her brain.
She decided to ignore it, "I'm sure he has his reasons," she politely said.
Lord Nokes, just shrugged his shoulders and continued dancing.
As the song ended, Leith bowed and smiled, "I hope to see you again Miss Fawn,"
"The feeling is mutual then, My lord," Grace grinned, curtsying.

Footsteps appeared behind her, then a deep voice, "Pardon me, Miss Fawn?"
"Yes?" Grace redirected herself, seeing a short and hefty, older gentleman waiting.
"Lord Morris," he bowed, "May I have this next dance?" offering his hand. Grace graciously took it, but this fellow was considerably ancient. If anything, Lord Morris could be her father...or grandfather.
Another song began, and they danced, "For what has happened to you, you are a wonderful dancer," Lord Morris calmly spoke, almost smiling.
What?
A wave of shock waved over Grace's face. Did she hear him right?
"I beg your pardon? I do not seem to understand what you mean, my lord," she spoke, keeping a polite smile on her face.
"Well, most would think you'd be ruined for what has occurred with your family, but it seems our Queen gives pity on you. Why else would you this season's diamond," he laughed. The music still was playing, so Grace continued dancing, but how unbelievable.
She coughed, "I'm sorry, my lord, despite that sentiment, I do not assume that is why I was chosen,"
"Well, it certainly wasn't for your attractiveness." he blurted out...loudly.
Grace took a step back in disbelief, the urge to smack this snob in the face was outstanding.
Before a word could be spoken from either one of them, Benedict swiftly came into action.
"Lord Morris, may I cut in?" tapping on his shoulder and taking Grace's hand before Lord Morris could reply.
"I believe she is dancing with me already, Mr Bridgerton," Lord Morris snickered.
"Yes, however, I do assume the song is over, is it not?" Benedict smirked, causing Lord Morris to send a stony glare.
"Save a dance for me later?" Lord Morris asks, raising an eyebrow.
"Yes, of course, my lord." Grace politely grinned, delivering a bow before accepting Benedict's hand.
As Lord Morris stepped away, a breath of relief was released, "Thank you,"
"No need. If anything, you looked like you were about to hit him." Benedict replied, leading Grace as another song began.
"It may or may not have crossed my mind," she chuckled.
Quickly Benedict's whole demeanor changed, He sighed and changed his tone, "You cannot do that anymore. All eyes are on you now." Staring into her eyes as their feet matched with each movement.
"You sound like your mother," Grace whispered.
"Good, she is correct. You require a good husband, preferably one who has a brain. Leith Nokes and Lord Morris do not have that."
Grace sort of giggled as she was spun, "And you know that how?"
"University, Leith was notorious for bedding with the lower class ladies, and Lord Morris is always causing fights at gentlemen's clubs. Yet, they never banish him."
"Sounds familiar," she sighed.
As they danced, Benedict pulled her in, taking in her fresh scent. Citrus and eucalyptus, it was practically intoxicating to him...and his brother.
He could not help but stare at her with delight.
"What is it?" She whispered as they danced.
"You've just grown."
"Time does that," Grace laughs.
"No, you as a person," he continued.
"I needed to Benedict, you know this."
"Don't change that. If no one here at court or in the ton will accept that I shall marry you. I give you my word."
Words escaped Grace's head, "Benedict-"
Their feet did not stop as they spoke, "I mean it. You're a piece of art that cannot be recreated. The strongest woman, who doesn't let anything stop her. You speak your mind and don't put on a fake face anymore, it's the most captivating and endearing thing."
"I do not-"
"I shall court other ladies to please Mother, but if we are both unmarried by the end of this season, my offer stands."
The song began to wind down, as did their conversation. Nevertheless, that exchange will forever replay in her mind that entire evening.

Grace danced with a handful more gentlemen before excusing herself outside, desperately wanting a break from keeping up appearances in front of so many potential suitors.
Scanning the room to make sure she was not being pursued, she descended out onto the terrace where a few guests were chatting.
Grace could not deny that it was flattering to have so many gentlemen requesting her to dance, though there was no doubt her first official ball was draining.

Luckily, Grace was capable of spending a few blissful minutes on her own. Regardless, abruptly a gentleman that she had briefly danced with showed up beside her, smiling.
"Oh!" Grace exclaimed in surprise.
"My apologies for startling you, my lady, it was not my intention," he said.
"That's quite alright. Now, if you excuse me I really should be getting back inside. I'm sure you know that the two of us cannot be seen out here without a chaperone," she declared, slightly on edge.
"I believe it is quite unlikely anyone else would step out here during a dance, plus there are a few guests out here with us. Isn't there? " he voiced, taking several steps closer to Grace.
Grace's heart was beating faster; she did not like how he was examining her. A red alarm was going off, and she knew she needed to get out of this situation.
"Please back up, sir, and allow me to go back inside," Grace stated in the strongest voice she could.
He stepped closer, blocking the stairs. His hands grabbed her waist and pulled her into his chest.
Oh hell no.
Grace screamed as loud as she possibly could.
"GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME!"
"HELP!"
"Shut up, you stupid bitch," The man continued, trying to cover her mouth and grab her.