Chapter 8

Anthony quickly removed his hand and let her leave.
"Oh, Grace, this is Mrs. Wilson. She runs the house, if you need anything, please let her know," Violet smiled warmly, gesturing to an older lady in a purple maid's uniform with her gray hair tucked into a bun.
"Very kind to meet you, Mrs. Wilson," Grace smiled, attempting to forget the stunt Anthony pulled as butterflies still roamed her stomach. Grace turned to Violet, "I must retrieve my siblings, they are expecting me," she expressed calmly, though her body was anything but calm.
"Oh, we can send someone for them, dear,"
"No need, I would like to fetch them myself, plus I fear they would not come if it is someone they do not know," Grace voiced, giving a warm smile.
"Very well, we'll have a carriage ready then," Violet spoke.
"Thank you. Oh, do you believe there are any spare rooms for a few members of my household? If it is-"
"I'm certain we do. Grace, I understand where you are coming from. Please, do not fear and do not feel like a burden," Violet smiled warmly, speaking to Grace as if she were a small child that needed calming.
Grace's eyes started to water, she had forgotten what it was like to feel loved, especially by a mother figure. By this time Mrs. Wilson had excused herself to get the spare rooms prepared, only leaving Violet and Grace in the hall as Anthony listened in.
"I'm scared Violet, I'm so scared," Grace cried being pulled into a hug.
"I know sweetling, I know," Violet spoke softly, stroking Grace's hair for comfort. Anthony's heart hurt listening to Grace cry outside the door, he wanted to comfort her, he wanted to care for her every need, but he could not. Anthony could not get involved. Unless...no, He needed a wife for heirs.
His list was simple for a wife, has to be tolerable, dutiful, suitable hips for bearing heirs, and at least half a brain. Anthony could not court her, it would not be fair to her. Though, Grace Fawn filled every requirement plus more.
No.
He needed to stay away. He had to, for his sanity. Not to mention, she had been unmannered during their last encounter.
Anthony waited until his mother and Grace had stepped away from the door to exit the room. He presumed Grace had departed to gather her siblings, and his mother had proceeded to inspect whether the house was suitable.
"Stalking, I see?"
Anthony whipped around to see his sister, Daphne standing nearby holding a folded nightdress and robe.
"How dare you assume-" Anthony started to speak before getting cut off by his sister.
"I saw you go into the guest room that mother and Lady Fawn were in, and funny enough, both of them departed, but you had not," Daphne smirked.
"It seems to me that you were stalking too, sister," Anthony grinned.
Daphne hit Anthony's shoulder, "Says the man who was in the room UNCHAPERONED with Lady Fawn," Daph harshly whispered.
"I could not leave her alone, Daph, did you see her?" Anthony spoke, stepping forward.
"Do you honestly think she did that?"
"It is possible," Anthony trailed off.
Daphne spoke in a low voice, "Anthony, have you not heard of her father's reputation? He is an absolute menace to his children and staff."
"Well-" he started to reply.
"He was the noble who threatened Mama years ago," She frowned, stepping back.
"He what?" Anthony's fists tightened.
"It was a year or two after Papa had died, I saw them arguing in the garden while Eloise and Grace ran to the stables."
"Why hadn't-"
Daphne cut Anthony off, "Mama wanted it to be hush. She told me it was just a miscommunication, though I knew better." Anthony started to storm off before Daphne stopped him, "Where are you going?"
"I have some things to take care of," Anthony stated angrily, heading down the stairs, grabbing his coat and top hat before storming out the door.

Grace took Violet's offer and took the Briderton carriage to the park to gather her siblings and attendants. The ride was merely a few minutes, but it gave her time to compose herself. After all, her siblings came before her.
Stepping out of the carriage, a familiar voice came forward excitedly.
"Grace, you made it!" Ashlynn yelled, holding a purple mallet.
"Playing mall ball, I see," Grace laughed, "Who is winning?" she asked, seeing James walk towards them.
"That would be me," James beamed, holding a blue mallet while Ashlynn rolled her eyes.
"That is only because I tripped!"
"Oh sure, that is why," James said sarcastically, earning a shove from Ashlynn.
James steps to the side as he notices the carriage, "That is not our carriage," frowning and raising an eyebrow.
"You would be correct. That happens to be the Bridgerton carriage. They have invited us over for the evening. So, both of you better be on your best behavior this evening. They're being incredibly kind, opening their home to us," Grace explained, positioning her arm around Ashlynn's arm.
"Will Gregory and Hyacinth be there?!" Ashlynn asked happily.
"They live there, idiot," James answered.
"And here I thought we were getting along," Grace laughed, forcing a hug onto the twins causing both of them to groan in annoyance.
"Come, let us pick up the game, then see the Bridgertons," she spoke, halting the hug to harvest the balls in the fresh grass.