Chapter 14

The rest of the night flowed with ease, laughter and snuggles went well into the night, leaving the little ones fast asleep in the arms of their siblings.
"Oh my, what time is it?" Grace asked, causing Anthony to pull out his pocket watch.
"Twenty to eleven," he looked with sore eyes.
"I suppose we shall call it a night then," Violet smiled, standing up, and adjusting her robe.
"I think the little ones already did," Colin whispered, pointing to Gregory asleep on the end of the sofa across from Grace and Ashlynn on Grace's lap while the other two children were asleep on the floor near the lowing fire.
"Boys, can you help bring the children to bed?" Violet asked innocently, having all three of her sons nod.
Anthony carefully lifted Hyacinth from the floor, carrying her bridal style, careful not to wake her. Benedict did the same to Gregory, as did Colin to James.
"Come here, Bambi," Grace murmured, lifting her sister into her arms, "Humph, you're getting too big to be carried, Ash," she laughed under her breath, following the Bridgerton men out of the green room, while Violet stayed behind and woke Eloise and Francesca to head to bed.
Grace stayed behind Colin until they got to a pair of rooms next to each other.
"Hyacinth's room is to the right, the maid should have assembled a bed for her," he smiled.
"Thank you, are you alright with James?" Grace asked.
Colin nodded, "This happens more often than you think, he's in good hands," he smiled walking into the room on the left.
Stepping into Hyacinth's room, Anthony was already tucking her into bed.
Across from Hyacinth's bed stood another bed, Grace carefully walked over and laid Ashlynn down, tugging the covers back before she did so. Providing a goodnight kiss on her forehead, Grace tucked Ashlynn in as well, making sure she would be comfortable before exiting the room.
Anthony waited a moment at the door, waiting for Grace to finish with Ashlynn before finally going to his room to end his night. Yet, he could not help but glance at her while Grace put her sister to bed.
"Thank you for waiting," Grace whispered, stepping out of Hyacinth's room into the dimly lit hallway.
"Of course, I would offer to walk you to your room. However, I have things I need to attend to. In the morning, may we talk about earlier this noon?" Anthony asks, slightly hesitant, knowing she can be like Eloise when fumed.
Grace sighed, "Yes, I would like to consider my options before taking any further actions, my lord. Goodnight." Grace bowed and turned, walking to her room, dreading the morning.
    Soon the dawn rose as rays of light peeked through the window. Not realizing she was not home, Grace got up, placed her robe on, and headed out to the stables.
"Oh, good morning, my dear, You're up early," Violet spoke, sipping her tea in the morning room that Grace just happened to pass by.
"Violet! Hello, I was just about to head to the stables. Would you like to join me?" Grace smiled, standing in the doorway.
"This early?" she asks, raising an eyebrow.
"I always go on a dawn or dusk ride with Aster,"
"I see. Just be on time for breakfast with the family," Violet smiled, taking another sip of her tea.
"eight o'clock?" Grace asked.
Violet nodded, "keep your cloak on and hood up."
Grace grinned like a child, receiving an extra sweet, "Thank you! Be back soon!" she yelled before making hast out the door.
A thick layer of fog still swept the ground when Grace and Aster arrived at the park. The cold air was refreshing on her skin and occasionally sent a chill.
Somehow they made their way to the willow forest by the Fawn estate. Hopping off Aster, Grace walked to her favorite spot under the willow tree and reaches for the crate hidden in the tree's crevasse, containing her journal, holding ideas and quotes for her writings.

The sensation of freedom is like a dove, yet everyone has a story and a chapter no one reads aloud, attaching the dove to a chain.

The imperfect little girl was still waiting for her happy ending while her companions all got theirs.

Sometimes you consider vanishing, whereas all you want is to be found.

As she wrote, time seemed to pass by, "Oh no, what time is it?" Grace said to herself, quickly pulling out the pocket watch she stowed in the crate.
"Forty past seven! Already?! Aster, come here, girl!" Grace hollered at grazing Friesian, quickly shoving everything into the crate, excluding her journal, and hiding it back into the willow.
Clutching her journal, Grace lifted herself onto Aster just as the rain started to sprinkle, "You have got to be kidding me. Come on girl." Grace muttered, clicking her boots, yielding Aster to run.
"Miss! Watch out!" a male voice yells out.
Then again, "Miss! The hedge!"
Smirking to herself, Grace holds the reins and jumps over the hedge, losing grip of her journal.
"Merde," She mutters to herself, turning around and staring down at the fallen journal, wondering if she should risk being seen to grab it.
"Miss! Are you hurt?" the man asks, coming closer.
Grace had to return to the house. No matter how much it hurt, she couldn't risk being seen. So, she reared Aster back and headed towards the Bridgertons manor, leaving her journal behind.
Unknowing, the man rides up over the hill just in time to catch a glimpse of Grace riding away. Dressed in his riding gear and top hat, he got off his horse and walked to pick up her journal. He quickly grabs it before the mud can seep through the pages. He knows it to be a betrayal of trust to read someone else's diary, but he can't ignore the urge this time. He opens up the first page and reads the words inscribed on the soft paper.

To my dear Grace,
if you have found this journal it means you have found my hideaway from your father. I run this night to be safe, and I pray you and the twins are too. I love you my dear child and I wish I could take you with, but with your father the risk is too great. Fill these pages with happiness and light, be strong my child, I love you dearly.

Mother,

The man was none other than Anthony fucking Bridgerton, going on his daily morning ride.