Chapter 10

Authors note: sorry for the late post, I have not had time to write so this chapter is all fresh!

"Grace?" a voice spoke. Grace shifted towards the doorway, noticing Lord Anthony Bridgerton standing tall with his top hat.
"My lord, what brings you here?"
Anthony stopped. The plan was to go to the Fawn estate to "talk" with Lord Fawn. However, the words that were spoken were vastly different. "I- Ahem, I've come to ask your hand in marriage,"
Shook, Grace spoke, "I beg your pardon?"
Every servant, butler, cook, and anyone who happened to be nearby in the household froze and stared at Lord Bridgerton.
"I have come to ask your hand in marriage. Might your father be present?" Anthony spoke, gritting his teeth.
Grace swallowed, "One moment, my lord," leaving to fetch her father, who was likely now in a mood.
"Ah. Lord Bridgerton, how wonderful it is to see you," Fredrick Fawn spoke, greeting Anthony.
"And you, Lord Fawn," Anthony voiced, delivering a slight head bow. Grace now stood behind her father, straight yet darting her eyes to the green tile.
"Now, what is the reason for this unforeseen visit?" Fredrick smiled, causing Anthony's stomach to turn.
"I have come with a proposal,"
"A proposal?" Fredrick questioned.
"Yes, I would desire to have Lady Fawn's hand in marriage,"
"I see. Why don't we converse about this in my study, Hmm?" Lord Fawn expressed, gesturing towards his study.
"That would be most ideal, my lord," Anthony nodded, following Fredrick into his study.
Grace stood there shell-shocked. She was practically an animal being dressed up for auction. She felt as if her heart had been stabbed, and now unable to move or function. She had just been sold.

"YOU DID WHAT?! ANTHONY EDMUND BRIDGERTON! The Fawns are staying the evening with us, and you go and propose to a Lady you have not even courted yet!? ARE YOU MAD?!" Violet shouts, pacing back and forth.
"What is all the commotion?" Benedict asks, popping his head into the drawing room.
"Your brother has proposed to Lady Fawn without courting her! Oh dear lord, this is a scandal waiting to happen," Violet speaks, falling onto a nearby sofa dramatically.
"Are you mad? Even I know to court a lady before proposing, brother!"
"Thank you both for the wonderful advice. I'll be sure to add it to my vows," Anthony replies sarcastically, sitting down across from his mother.
"Ohh, this cannot get out. Lady Whistledown will write this, then both us and the Fawn family will stand in ruin."
"Mother, I had to. It was the gentlemanly thing to do,"
"Gentlemanly thing to do? Oh lord, brother, please tell me you did not-"
"Benedict, do not finish that sentence!"
"Gods no! Mother, you've met Lord Fawn. You understand where I stand, do you not?"
"Anthony, I do. Lord Fawn is a... challenging man. Have you truly thought this through?"
"Challenging, to say the least," Benedict uttered under his breath.
"I have. We live separate lives. Lady Fawn shall have our protection and fortune. The estates and assets can be passed to Benedict, and Lady Fawn can live where ever she pleases, in safety," Anthony spoke, smiling to himself.
"What about children? You deserve love, Anthony. I wanted you to find a wife that would serve as a good viscountess while also finding a woman you love," Violet voiced, concerned about her eldest.
"My job is to keep our household afloat and find suitable marriages for our family," he replies, firm on his statement.
"Brother, you require a balance of your duties. You will run yourself dry," Benedict intervened.
"Did Colin provide you with more of his unique tea?" Anthony asks.
"I express one nice thing, and you question if something is wrong with me. Mother, are you hearing this?" Benedict spoke defensively as their mother rolls her eyes.
"Sometimes I wonder if I gave birth to you both," Violet laughs, "Come, we have things to do, and Anthony," Violet pauses speaking in a whisper, "I believe you and Lady Fawn are more alike than you realize," She smiled exiting the room with Benedict.
"My lady? Are you feeling alright?" Izzy questions, seeing Grace walk into her room with a face of a ghost, staring at the wooden floor below, holding her tears back.
"Lord Bridgerton is no, was here."
"I see," Izzy grinned, assuming he was going to court her and thinking how handsome he looks.
"He came to see father. He asked for my hand," Grace spoke, raising her head and meeting Isabelle's eyes.
Isabelle knew Grace did not care about marriage. She only cared about the twins and anyone close to her. A tear broke free and dripped down Grace's cheek, Izzy went up and hugged her as more tears fell.
"I was just sold. It was about MY future, and I was not allowed to say anything." Grace cried.
Izzy knew the one thing Grace suffocated from was not having a say in her life, it made her feel like a prisoner, and she vowed to herself, to find a husband that let her have a say.
Grace crumbled to the floor, feeling completely helpless that her life was just stripped away, like the loss of someone close. All Izzy could do was hold her close and have Grace lean on her till she calmed.
"Do you know if the Lord accepted?" Izzy spoke, petting Grace's hair as they sat together on the wooden floor.
"No,"
"Then all hope is not lost, and if not, at least the viscount is a kind man," Izzy uttered, hugging Grace tighter.
"Oh, Izzy, I hope so, I hope so..."

Note: I will be taking this upcoming Sunday off due to thanksgiving here in America. Then we shall be back with our regular scheduled program!