Wings (Prologue)

Etho
I had the sensation that I was falling. I was falling in an endless void with no end. I thought I could see a glimpse of pale yellow stone above me, but before I could be sure I slipped out of consciousness and into darkness.

I awoke to find myself laying on a black surface surrounded by fog. I sat up with a wince, rubbing the back of my head. I felt his spine crawl with the feeling of being watched. It was prickling sensation, one of extreme discomfort.

I suddenly realised my mask had fallen. I panicked and quickly pulled it up, praying no one saw.

"There's no point in hiding" a voice from the shadow said, "we know who you are, Etho".

"How do you know my name?" I demanded, spinning around.

"We know everything" a second voice hisses, "we have been gone too long if you don't know who we are".

Suddenly a figure steps out of the fog. I stared up in fear as a well over seven foot tall person walks out, with another person of near equal height next to them.

I gazed up at them, confused. From their long purple robes to their large wings. I realised they were wearing a mask that covered their eyes, which had an odd symbol on it. Like a square broken into parts.

Wait.

I know that symbol. I stared at the figures.

They were Watchers.

I instantly drew my sword, holding it in sweaty palms. Watchers are evil creatures, not to be trusted under any circumstances.

"Don't bother" the tallest snarks, "we are far too strong".

"What do you want from me?" I snarled.

"There's no point telling you" the second growls, "you will remember none of this".

I wondered what they meant by this. I realised the tallest was approaching me. I tried to back away, but can't. As though my feet were glued to the floor. I feel my sword fall from my hands and hit the floor with a clatter.

I felt a gloved hand rest on my face. It felt oddly soothing. I rarely got touched like this and it felt nice.

Suddenly I let out a scream of pain. My whole body felt like it was on fire, as though all my bones were being melted. My brain was burning and I felt as though wings I didn't have were being ripped off my back. It was the most painful thing I had ever felt.

A moment later, it was over. I wobbled a bit as I struggled to stand. The last thing I saw before falling unconscious was the sight of the two Watchers turning and leaving.

Is this the end?, I thought wearily. I felt his body evaporate in nothing. After what felt like forever I felt warmth of the sun on my back and the cool wetness of grass.

But what the others saw, after months of waiting was:

Etho joined the game.

Grian
I gazed around the purple-black void around me. This oddly familiar place held no sentimental value to me. The only memories I held of it were bitter and filled with pain.

What am I doing here?

I let out a cry of shock as I spotted two distorted figures, their form appears to glitch in and out and their voices were shaky. I recognised them immediately, but what were they doing here?

"̇/" the tallest hissed, "we've found you at last".

My stomach flipped as I heard my former name spoken.