Moss

Bdubs
I stared guiltily into Grian's eyes, wishing he could help. I'd been tasked to bring him and Joel food and water but I hated coming down here. For some reason what King Ren was doing just didn't sit right with me. It felt... cruel. I saw an odd look in Grian's eyes.

"Bdubs" Grian spoke softly, "are you happy?"

"Of course I am!" I said quickly, almost too quickly, "I am the right hand man of the greatest king ever".

"Do you not know what they did to Etho?" Grian growled. I stopped and stared at him.

"I'm taking that as a no" Grian mused, "they turned him into a Watcher".

"What.." I was shocked, "how do I know you're not lying?"

"What reason would I have to lie to you?" Grian reasoned, "it wouldn't benefit me in any way". I realised he had a point.

"I-" I stopped.

"Let me ask you again" Grian sighed, "are you happy?" I hesitated.

"Yes I am" I said slowly. Grian narrowed his eyes.

"Then why do you seem so sad?" Grian said.

"I'm not sad!" I hissed, "I don't need to explain myself to you". I spun on my heels and walked down the corridor, away from Grian and Joel's cell. How dare he question me?

But... he was right. I was quickly realising I felt truly miserable. I hated my job. I cared for Ren and Etho but it was all too much. I didn't trust the Watcher's in the slightest, they were cruel and evil creatures. In all honesty I was beginning to think Ren had gone mad, but I couldn't do anything. I had pledged my loyalty and I wasn't going to betray Ren. I wasn't going to leave Etho. I knew I couldn't.

It pained me to think about Etho. He seemed so distant... so cold. If it was really true he had been made a Watcher, I wasn't sure if I could look at him the same. Watchers were evil creatures. I had been walking so fast I failed to notice the figure in front of me until it was too late. I bumped headfirst into Ren's chest, before jumping back with a start and quickly bowing.

"My liege" I said shakily, "I didn't see you there".

"Is something bothering you Bdubs?" Ren said simply, "you seemed to be zoned out".

"I- yes actually" I took a deep breath, "I was just down giving Grian water and-".

"Spit it out" Ren rolled his eyes.

"-he said that Etho's been turned into a Watcher" I said sheepishly, "is that true?" I hoped desperately that it wasn't, but my heart sunk as a menacing grin spread across Ren's face.

"Why of course" Ren laughed, "how do you think he suddenly has wings? Why he's any use to me at all?"

"Oh" I really had nothing to say that wouldn't get me in trouble. I wanted to tell Ren he was horrible and how dare he do that to Etho but I felt choked, like I couldn't bring myself to speak.

"Something wrong with that Bdubs?" Ren scanned his face, "I do hope you aren't having any disloyal thoughts".

"No no of course not" I bowed, "I was merely curious". My heart was beating fast, terrified Ren might not believe me.

"Good" Ren said slowly, "now I have business to attend to". Without another word Ren strode off, his tail bouncing in rhythm with his steps. I watched numbly, feeling helpless. I stared back at the entrance to Grian and Joel's prison.

Maybe I could do something about this.

Pearl

I opened my eyes to see Scott standing at the foot of my bed, an odd look on his face. I went to smile a greeting when I noticed the cyan-haired man had an axe raised above his head and looked as though he was preparing to bring it down on the sleeping woman.

"Scott?" I quickly scrambled out of bed and to my feet, "what are you doing?"

"It's nothing personal" Scott growled, "just stay still and I'll make it as least painful as possible".

"Scott what on earth are you on about?" I  summoned my shield, raising it shield nervously, "we're friends".

"I have my orders and I must do what is needed" Scott leaped at me and tried to swing the axe into my side but I quickly dodged, ducking under his attack,

"Scott, no" I shouted, "I won't let you".

"Then I'll do it by force" Scott said coldly before swinging at me again. I quickly blocked the strike with my shield. Scott's once warm eyes were replaced with cold hatred. What had gotten into him?

"If you don't want me here I'll just go to Hermitopia" I said desperately, "I don't want to fight you."

"Hermitopia is property of King Ren" Scott snarled, "I doubt he wants you there".

"What?" I felt shock flood through my body, "how?"

"King Ren and some of his friends raided the place during the night and chased the Hermits away" Scott grinned, "good luck trying to find them".

"Scott how could you do this?" I demanded, "what has gotten into you?"

"As I said, it's nothing personal" Scott went to swing at me again. I blocked it and surged forward to shove him over. As I pushed I used my foot to knock his feet out from under him. Scott wasn't much taller than me and he toppled down in a heap. I took the opportunity to dart down the stairs and out the doorway. The moment I was in open air I launched myself into the air.

I felt the wind whip away my tears, stinging my cheeks. I didn't know where I was going, but I didn't care. I just had to get away.

I awoke from my dream with a gasp. I felt Cleo who lay next to me stir a little before sitting up, blinking at me tiredly.

"Pearl?" She murmured sleepily, "you okay?"

"Just another dream" I whispered back, "it's nothing".

"It's alright, you can talk to me" Cleo smiled at her, "I know everything has been really stressful lately".

Cleo was right. Since Tango had burned down Sanctuary everyone had once again been uprooted to a new location. They had the decided the best move would be to take shelter in Animalia. Many had said Stratos would be a good location as it was high up, but many said it didn't feel right since Joel was still missing. Another thing in all the chaos, no one had realised Grian was missing until after Sanctuary had been burnt. Xisuma had figured out he'd likely gone missing sometime earlier in the day. They hoped he had just gone for a wander and would find them again soon, but I doubted that. Xisuma had tried to use commands to track him down but it was fruitless as they soon figured out his communicator had been destroyed.

The Hermits and Emperors had been scattered around the empire but no one was to be alone at any time. It was far too risky. Most of the Emperors were very confused as to what was happening. They wanted to go back to their respective Empires but Fwip had stopped them, saying there was no telling what the Watchers were capable of and it was safer to stick together.

I realised Cleo was still waiting for a response.

"I know" I smiled back, "thank you". Cleo glanced at the clock which was hanging on the wall.

"It's morning time" Cleo sighed, flicking her orange hair over her shoulders, "I suppose we should get up and see if Fwip and Xisuma need any help".

"Good idea" I agreed, "those two are going to work themselves to death".

The pair of us got up out of bed and faced the other way while we changed. When we were done they headed out the door, making sure to check the skies before doing so. We weren't sure yet how Ren had found their hiding place so they could never be too careful. I took a deep breath and followed after Cleo. At least I had one person I knew I could count on.