Bittersweet

Ren

Where am I? What happened?

I paused.

Who am I?

"Ren" came an oddly familiar voice. I slowly opened my eyes. Memories flooded back to me. Right. I died. I glanced around. Then what was I doing here?

"Ren" came the voice from behind me. I slowly turned around. I jumped in shock and joy. I felt my tail begin to wag excitedly.

"Martyn!" I said happily, bounding over and enveloping him in a hug, "I'm so freaking happy to see you!" I stared down at him, wondering why he wasn't returning the same energy.

"You shouldn't be here" Martyn murmured, tentatively hugging me back, "you need to go back".

"Go back? Why?" I cocked my head, "they all hate me. They'll just kill me again". Martyn shook his head, pulling away from the hug.

"Maybe it's selfish but I don't want you to die" Martyn told me, "you're only here because the Watcher's told me if you died I had permission to resurrect you".

"Resurrect me?" I blinked, "Martyn what are you talking about?"

"Agh, I can't tell you" Martyn bit his lip, "you just need to go back".

"But I want to stay with you" I frowned, "don't you want me to stay?"

"Of course I want you to" Martyn placed a hand to my chest, "but that's not an option".

"Martyn I must ask.." I took a deep breath, "why didn't you tell me you were a Listener?".

"Honestly, I was afraid you'd think lowly of me. I thought you'd think I was manipulating you" Martyn told me, "we didn't become friends by pure chance"

"Friends?" My breath caught in my throat, "is that all we are now?"

"You know what I meant" Martyn said softly.

"Martyn if I go back they'll throw me out after what I did to them" I pleaded, "let me stay with you".

"I can't Ren" Martyn shook his head, "when I send you back I'll erase all memories of you being king, of coming to Empires, of everything that may make you repeat what you did".

"But-" I stopped, "won't that mean I forget seeing you?"

"I'm not sure" Martyn sighed, "however it's for the best".

"Why is it every time we meet its only for a moment?" I stared at him, "I wish you were part of Hermitcraft".

"I wish I were too, but it's far too risky" Martyn replied, "the Watcher's can see me no matter where I go". I stared into his eyes. He was so close. If I just tilted my head down and forward...

"Ren it's time" Martyn glanced around, "I've waited too long".

"Martyn wait" I reached forward to grab his hand. Martyn looked away.

"Goodbye Ren" he whispered, "see you in the next life series. If we survive".

And then everything went dark.

Bdubs

I backed away, horrified as Ren's body dropped to the floor. His once vibrant eyes glazing over with the film of death.

"I'm so sorry" I murmured, crouching down to my former King. I placed my hand on Ren's shoulder. I felt delirious with disbelief. I couldn't believe I'd just done that.

"Bdubs I-" I turned to see Impulse, along with many others, staring at me with shock. I felt so completely numb. I barely felt anything as Impulse ran forward and hugged me. Guilt and sadness choked me.

"Shh it's okay" Impulse whispered, "you did the right thing I promise".

"You-  you actually killed him" came a cold voice from above, "that was unexpected". I looked up to see Etho, staring down at me with hateful eyes.

"Your king is dead" Grian shouted, "just give up".

"Never" Etho snarled. Pearl suddenly dropped from above Etho, taking the larger by surprise. Etho screeched with fury as Pearl beat her wings around his head, confusing him.

"Get off" the silvernette growled, trying to swipe at her with his hand.

"We end this now" Grian told me. I felt fear fill me.

"Don't kill him!" I yelled desperately. I stopped. I couldn't bear to lose Etho, I'd already lost Ren. I watched in horror as Grian aimed his hand at the struggling Etho, who still had Pearl latched onto him. I realised Grian had to take care not to hit Pearl, the two were a struggling bundle of limbs and wings.

Time seemed to slow down as purple energy crackled down Grian's wrist and to his hand. It shot out his palm, striking Etho square in the chest. In slow motion the Canadian stopped, and began to fall.

No.

Etho was falling about ten meters from the air. I felt my legs unconsciously begin to move. I ran so I was under the falling Hermit. The wind was knocked out of me as Etho's body collided with my own. Both of us were knocked flat to the ground.

I scrambled to my knees. I grabbed Etho's wrist, feeling for a pulse. He was alive, just unconscious. Relief filled me like never before. I pulled Etho into my lap, cradling the man's head.

"He's alive" I told everyone. Grian and Pearl landed, standing over me.

"Oh no, Ren..." I heard Xisuma's voice in the background, "my friend I'm so sorry things turned out this way". Fwip appeared in front of me, followed by Xisuma.

"I think we can fix him" Fwip said, "he's not a real Watcher, it's merely a command that was set on him".

"Meaning we can remove it" Xisuma added, "but it will drain a lot of his energy so we must be careful".

"Here, I have health potions" Katherine handed me a vial full of pink liquid.

"Everyone please back away" Xisuma looked around. I realised that Tango, Scott, Scar and Joel had all been defeated. Every single one of them lay on the ground, likely unconscious. The crack in the sky seemed to be disappearing. Order was returning.

"That means you too Bdubs" Fwip said.

"No" I retorted, tightening my grip on Etho, "I'm not leaving him".

Fwip nodded in understanding. The goblin and Xisuma placed their hands on Etho. Slowly but surely numbers and symbols swirled around then. Xisuma and Fwip dragged these into place, seeming satisfied they let the symbols disappear. I watched nervously as Etho's feathery wings began to seemingly fade into nothingness. His angry face softened in a look of peaceful tranquillity.

"Give him the potion" Fwip instructed.

I gripped the flask, tilting the liquid into Etho's mouth. I gently stroked his throat, encouraging him to swallow. It took a few minutes but eventually it had all be drunk. I watched Etho's face, searching for some sign of life.

Please don't let him die.

Stay with me.

Don't you dare leave me now Etho, not after all this.

Etho suddenly coughed, his eyes fluttering open. His heterochromic eyes focused on me, warmth filling them as he did.

"Bdubs?" He said wearily, "what happened?". Words couldn't describe the joy and relief I felt. I was so happy I could almost kiss Etho.

I looked down at the confused silvernette in my arms. I slowly tilted my head down. Mine and Etho's lips connected. I felt soft warmth on my mouth, it was beautiful. I pulled away, suddenly aware people were watching. I realised Etho was grinning.

"I must've missed a lot" he laughed. I grinned back.

"You really did".