Loyalty

Bdubs

Cries of pain, anger, and sadness echoed around me, from both sides of the battle. Blood was spilt and hearts were broken. Today friendships would die and loyalties lost.

I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to fight anyone. I couldn't betray Xisuma out of loyalty and I couldn't betray Ren out of fear. I would never risk Etho's life.

Like he risked yours? I jumped, trying to shake that negative thought away. That was in the past, I had forgiven Etho.

I turned my attention back to the battle. I realised Grian had been freed. Up high in the air he was battling with Etho. Purple energy crackled off the two of them as they collided and backed away. I felt my stomach twist with nerves.

Ren was charging through the battle, swinging his axe. Blows made towards him merely bounced off his armour. Tango had made a fire and surrounded himself, laughing as people tried to get through. Scott was swinging at Katherine and Shelby. Scar was dueling with Impulse and Cleo.

I wondered where Xisuma and Fwip had got to. I spotted them at the edge. They weren't fighting, but they had code swirling around them. I guessed they were trying to keep the server from falling apart.

"Bdubs" Ren ran past me, "don't just stand there!".

I gulped and raised my sword. I had to fight. But for who? And for what? I didn't know. I looked around and realised the Hermit's and Emperor's were actually winning. Ren's knights were indeed sorely outnumbered and were being pushed back. I grinned. Maybe I wouldn't have to fight after all.

I frowned as I saw Pearl suddenly stagger and clutch her chest. A look of bewilderment crossed her face. I felt relief hit me when she stood up again and kept fighting.

But then Pearl began to scream.

Grian

I jumped as I heard a high pitched scream suddenly echo from below. I looked down and I realised the source was Pearl. She was shrieking bloody murder, but she looked entirely unwounded.

I peered closer and with a jolt I realised tiny feathery wings were protruding from her back, growing bigger by the second. Pearl flopped to the ground so her face was shielded. After about a minute her wings stopped growing. When she stood up her eyes were purple. I looked at Etho who had also stopped to watch.

"What did you do?" I demanded.

"Oh, that's our backup plan" Etho grinned, "surely you would have known Pearl is a Watcher?"

"What?" My stomach dropped.

"She was part of Evo wasn't she?" Etho prompted, "like many of the others, when it fell apart she joined us".

"But-" I was completely shocked, "how did I never notice?".

"The Watcher in her had yet to be activated" Etho smirked, "she nor anyone else would have known what she was". I watched Pearl closely. She seemed to be fighting an invisible battle in her mind, one I could only imagine the pain of. Suddenly her body visibly relaxed.

"Her mind has given in" Etho said softly, "she was never going to win". I felt anger like never before surge through me. Anger for Pearl, for Evo, and for the harm I had caused my friends.

"SHUT UP" I cried, lunging at Etho. Etho's smirk faltered as he barely made it out of the way in time.

"Cute" Etho laughed, "you think you can win".

"Because I will" I said firmly.

I had to.

Pearl