Prepare

Bdubs

"They're here Bdubs" Ren grinned, "they're in the forest just outside".

"What do you think they're waiting for my liege?" I wondered why they weren't attacking immediately.

"They'll be waiting for dawn" Ren told me, "so we have about three hours to prepare".

"Of course my king" I bowed my head, "I shall alert the others".

"Good" Ren fixed me with a stare, "thank you".

I nodded with surprise and backed out of the room. I made my way down the staircase trying to suppress the feeling of guilt that had enveloped me. So it was time. Time to decide where my loyalties really lie. To find out where my heart really was.

I made my way into our unofficial common room. I saw Tango, Scar, Scott and Joel sitting around a small camp fire. All were asleep except for Joel.

"They're here" I told him, "we need to get ready". Joel nodded. Freakishly at that moment all the others began to rise. It was something out of a horror movie. I quickly realised that they hadn't been asleep at all in the first place.

"Prepare your armour and weapons Bdubs" came Etho's voice from behind me, "I'll handle this lot". I turned and nodded, flinching slightly as the silvernette brushed past me.

"Joel go guard Grian" Etho commanded, "they will call if you are needed". The God turned and walked over to entrance to the dungeon, disappearing inside.

"Go prepare your armour and weapons" Etho said to the others. They all stood up and walked in assorted directions. I turned to go prepare but I heard a voice call me back.

"Bdubs wait" Etho called. With a deep breath I turned to face him.

"Yes Etho?" I looked him in the eye.
Etho walked closer, placing his arm on the wall above my shoulder.

"I've got my eye on you" he hissed, "try anything and both you and your beloved will be dead".

"He's not my beloved" I protested, "and I won't try anything. I'm loyal to Ren". Etho narrowed his eyes, calculating. Eventually he turned away, freeing me.

"Go get ready" he spat before walking away.

I let out a long breath. Feeling relieved the tense moment was over, I made my way to my room. I pushed the door open and walked over to where my armour was strapped to an armour stand.

I pulled it off the stand and began to put it on. My chestplate went on with a click and I was done. I pulled my sword from its holster by the door and placed it on my belt. Gathering a few splash potions of assorted types, I put them in a satchel by my hip.

I sighed. Physically I was ready, but mentally? I was terrified. I didn't want to fight my friends.

"Bdubs hurry up" came Etho's voice harshly. Not wanting to antagonise him, I walked out my door back to the common area. Everyone else was there, including Ren. I took a moment to take in his appearance.

The king wore complete Netherite armour that shone with enchantments. His robe sat on his shoulders over the armour, his usual grand one discarded for one more practical. Ren's hair was tied messily in a high ponytail. A wicked looking axe was on a holster on his belt. Ren held a crossbow which was loaded with a firework rocket. I shivered as I remembered the damage those could do.

"Are you ready Bdoubleo?" Ren asked.

"Yes I am my liege" I nodded.

"Excellent" Ren turned to face the others, "we shall let them come to us. We are in a far better position that way".

"I think we should attack them while they're in the forest unprepared" Etho disagreed. Ren turned slowly with a rigid look on his face. He fixed Etho with hard eyes. He stepped forward and placed his crossbow at Etho's throat.

"You dare oppose me Etho?" He hissed, "let's see how that will turn out".

"I was merely making a suggestion" Etho said calmly, "I would never oppose you".

"If I want your opinion, I will ask for it" Ren growled, lowering the crossbow. Etho nodded, eyes emotionless. Etho's eyes suddenly went foggy, as though unfocused. A moment later they were clear again.

"They're on the move" he told us, "be ready".

"Which direction are they coming from?" Ren demanded.

"The main entrance facing the bridge" Etho explained.

"Come on" Ren spoke, "let's make all this worth it" He looked at me as he spoke.

I tried to shake my nerves but I just couldn't. I took my sword from its holster and raised it.

Time to decide where my loyalties lie.

Tango

I wasn't sure how much time had passed. It could have been hours, days, years. I couldn't tell. All I knew was that I was trapped and there was no way out. My two companions in our prison all knew it too. We weren't sure how we got here here but we knew something was wrong.

"Tango I can hear the voices again" Scar murmured. I listened in and realised there were voices whispering in my ears.

"Go prepare your armour and weapons". I locked eyes with Scar.

"Do you think it's happening?" Scott spoke up.

"What's happening?" I cocked my head. We had next to no idea what had been happening in the outside world since we... well I wasn't exactly sure what had happened to us.

"They must be about to fight" Scott sighed, "we're about to find out if we're gonna have more friends or not".

"I hope Ren wins" Scar replied.

"You hope he wins?" Scott rounded on him, "you idiot, it's his fault we're all here!"

"What?" Scar sank back, "Ren wouldn't do that".

"Yes he would, Ren is a maniac" Scott snarled, "if he wasn't we wouldn't be here".

"Joel told us he was allied with the Watchers" I agreed, "don't side with him Scar".

"I-" Scar looked slightly speechless, "I thought this was all fun and games..."

"Fun and games?" Scott spat, "our friends are going to be slaughtered".

"It may have been once but it's gone too far now" I shook my head, "why did we ever say yes..?"

"I thought I would merely have more power as an emperor" Scott stated, "not losing my mind to some ancient psychotic being".

"I attacked Grian..." Scar murmured, "what happened to us?"

"There's nothing we can do but wait" I whispered, "and pray our friends save us".

"It's the only thing we can do" Scott agreed.

"Who knew fights to the death weren't so fun when there was a real risk of death?" Scar laughed hoarsely, "thirdlife wouldn't be nearly so fun".

"I don't see how that psychological warfare of a death match is fun" Scott said flatly, "I lost a great many things in that hell hole".

"But didn't you win the second time?" I looked at him in surprise.

"There is nothing beautiful about winning" Scott told me, "I was forced to murder all my friends".

"Only you Scar would have survived far enough to see that" Scott continued, "exactly why I let Pearl win. I didn't want to feel the guilt".

"I understand it now" Scar murmured, "I never really thought of it like that".

"One lesson we all learned though" I spoke, "is that betrayal breeds revenge". The two looked at me sympathetically. The memories of Bdub's betrayal still sent anger crawling up my spine.

"And you never did get the chance" Scott sighed, "I hope we never have to go through that again".

"Same" Scar and Tango said simultaneously. Scott looked at us both, his heterochromic eyes piercing us.

"Whatever happens, we need to stick together".