Feelings

Bdubs

"Bdubs what is Impulse doing here?" Etho stared at me with harsh eyes, "I saw you sneak out and I followed you. What are you doing?"

Sorry for this Impulse, I thought.

"I found him lurking outside" I raised my chin, "I was going to capture him and bring him before Ren". I saw Impulse look at me with understanding. We both knew we couldn't risk me getting caught.

"You don't look as though you were fighting" Etho slithered, "I heard no shouts". I realised Etho's eye was purple, meaning I was in real danger of being caught here.

"I only just found him" I insisted.

"Hmm" Etho narrowed his eyes, "I don't trust".

"He was going to capture me" Impulse spoke up, "I admit it, I was trying to spy". Etho turned to look at Impulse.

"Dumb decision" Etho mused, "I suppose we can throw you in with Xelqua".

"Xelqua?" Impulse blinked.

"The one you know as Grian" Etho explained. Realisation dawned on Impulse and his eyes widened.

My pulse quickened. I couldn't let Impulse get caught. I realised I had to act fast, and perhaps do something stupid. I made a gesture to Impulse, signalling him to stay where he was. I took a deep breath and stepped closer to Etho. I reached up to his face and rested my hands on either side of his face.

"What are you doing?" Etho looked stern but didn't move.

I didn't answer and instead reached around to the back of his head. In one swift motion I unclipped the strap that kept Etho's mask on. I let it fall slightly but not enough to expose his face. I saw panic inflict on the silvernette as I knew it would. Within seconds the purple eye had been replaced by his normal one. Etho shoved my hands away and turned around to fix his mask.

"Bdubs? What was that?" Etho turned and laid eyes on Impulse "what is he doing here?"

"Etho you wouldn't tell anyone if I was doing something Ren wouldn't want me to do right?" I looked him in the eye.

"Bdubs you and I both know I'm not with him by choice" Etho whispered, "I would never betray you".

"I know" I smiled, "we'll fix this".

"But why's Impulse here?" Etho glanced at me, "aren't you loyal to Ren?"

"Not anymore" I shook my head, "he's gone too far".

"Bdubs has been helping us get information" Impulse added, "I should probably go in case whatever that was comes back". Etho lightly touched his forehead with a sigh.

"Yeah that's probably wise" Etho agreed, "I'm really sorry".

"Hey it's okay. I know it's not really you in there but we'll fix it" Impulse said. Impulse turned around and fired a rocket, disappearing into the sky.

"So" Etho looked down at Bdubs, "do you need to talk about something?"

I realised yes, I did need to talk. I'd been forced to bottle up everything with fear I'd be found out. Moments where Etho was himself were few and far between, especially since the final battle was drawing nearer.

"Yes actually" I murmured, "it's nice to have you to talk to. Even if it's just for a moment".

"Here, sit down" Etho sat down on the grass. I quickly did the same.

"I want to be loyal to Ren. I know he can be a great king, he's just too power hungry" I explained, "he's left me no choice but to go against him. The decisions he's made are absolutely insane and just completely evil".

"I think you've made the right choice" Etho nodded, "I usually don't remember much when it's not me in control but that says all I need to know".

"I miss you Etho" I leant against him with a sigh, "it's never any fun anymore. I just want to laugh and hang out with my friends but they're not them anymore".

"I know, I'm really sorry" Etho replied, "hopefully Xisuma can fix this".

"They won't be able to stop Ren without Grian" I reminded him, "it will take a Watcher to match another Watcher. Alas they exiled him so they've just made it harder on themselves".

"Yeah, it will take a miracle" Etho agreed. A puff of air left his mask as he spoke.

"It feels good to actually talk to someone" I smiled, "Ren would have me beheaded if I told him any of this".

"You're welcome" Etho said, "I know how it feels to not be able to talk to anyone".

"Has Ren told you any of his plans?" I asked.

"I'm assuming he has, but I can't remember" Etho shook his head, "I wish I could be more use".

"It's not your fault" I twined my fingers with Etho's, leaning into his body warmth, "I wish Ren would see what he's doing to his friends".

"I really don't think he cares" Etho sighed, "I was his ally when he was the Red King, he went completely insane".

"I forgot you used to be on his side, and I was your enemy" I mused, "oh how the roles have reversed".

"Indeed they have" Etho chuckled, "honestly the only person who ever kept Ren in check was Martyn".

"Shame he's not in this world, otherwise I'm sure he could help us" I murmured, "he visited us a while ago didn't he? I think he mentioned some server called Rat's SMP".

"Yeah he did" Etho nodded, "but either way I suspect he'd be on Ren's side. Love does that to people".

"I guess you're right" I agreed. The pair of us lapsed into silence.

"Why did you unclip my mask?" Etho said quietly.

"I figured the panic of it disappearing would bring you back" I stammered, "I've noticed when you experience strong emotions the Watcher in you retreats".

"Ah that makes sense" Etho replied. The two of us sat in silence once again.

I watched a butterfly flutter around near a bush, it's orange wings pumping. I glanced over to Etho. He seemed distant, his eyes looked unfocused as though he was seeing things I couldn't. The only sound that could be heard was the wind and the occasional puff of air from Etho's mask. Etho suddenly caught my eye. Etho's eyes crinkled, suggesting he was smiling. I smiled back, my heart fluttering.

Etho reached out a hand and placed it on the back of my neck and pulled me closer. I rested my head on Etho's chest with a sigh. I could hear the light thump of Etho's heartbeat. It felt oddly relaxing and made me feel drowsy and tired. I let out a little yawn, feeling sleep coming for me.

I closed my eyes and felt peaceful, dreamless sleep come for me.