另一邊

十四** (Chapter 14)
eng: The other side

~

Skeleton

~

I felt sick every step I took away from him. I was at the brink of tears.

Wither, my Wither, the one I believed to be the only trustworthy wither skeleton was a liar just like the rest of them.

I was angry at myself for trusting him in the first place. How could I let such stupid feelings bring my guard down? I'm pathetic. I was so easily fooled.

My objective was to find my two missing classmates and leave this hell with them. I don't care what happens to Wither. I just hope that I'll never see him again.

Where am I even going? I thought, I'm completely lost. I consider using the potion in hand. If I use it, maybe I'll be able to ask Herobrine for help.

But... He's most likely not waiting around in class. I can't risk leaving them here alone.

"Skeleton, don't be foolish! I know you're upset at me, but strolling through the Nether on your own is a huge risk-!"

I glare at the black-boned skeleton, fury boiling in my chest. "Didn't I tell you that I'd chop your head off if I ever saw you again?!"

He sighs. "Yes, yes, you did. And I understand why. But you've got to take it from me— it isn't safe for a skeleton of all mobs to be walking through the Nether alone!"

"I don't trust anything you say anymore, Wither. All wither skeletons are the same. I don't know why I chose to trust you in the first place!" Wither grips my shoulder harshly, forcefully pushing my chin up.

"Skeleton, I swear to you. I never wanted to lie to you. I just wanted you to get over your stupid fear! I knew from the start that you were scared and didn't trust me. Most of my kind are cruel, you have every right to say all the shit you want about them. But, Skeleton, please... Trust me just this once. I never wanted to deceive you in any way!" I stare at him for a few moments, unable to respond. Is this another trick? It has to be, right? He seems so genuine, though... No, Skeleton! Don't fall into his trap again!

"...Just help me find Slime and Creeper, and we'll call it even." I cringe at my own response.

"A-Alright." It was that stupid expression again. The hurt expression that made me want to comfort and forgive him.

I walk alongside him awkwardly. He seemed to be getting more and more anxious after step we took.

"H-Hey, Skeleton, wait up," he says suddenly.

"What is it now?"

"You... You know that I care about you, right?" The question was so random, so random that it caught me off guard.

"W-What?"

"I know you still hate me, I just... Wanted you to know that I don't hate you. That's all."

"..." What does that have to do with anything? I narrow my eyes. What's he playing at? He's obviously hiding something. Despite this, though, my heart felt lighter at his words.

No, Skeleton, focus. Once we find Creeper and Slime, I'm moving out for good. I can't continue living alongside a wither skeleton.

"Wither, I need to know. What's on the other side?"

"...Do you really want to know?"

"Yes, you idiot! I want to know the situation Creeper and Slime could potentially be in!"

"F-Fair enough," Wither says, "Listen closely, because I'm not repeating this twice."

~

No POV

~

There was no contact with the outside world. If you were born in the Lord's part of the Nether, you were to stay there until death. The punishment of even attempting escape was unthinkable torture.

Despite this, though, the Lord never really had much to fret over. His citizens (more to say his slaves) went through their days, unknowing of the invisible chains shackled around them. The entire remaining race of wither skeletons never had contact with the world outside of their own. Some believed that the Overworld was a legend written by elders to entertain children.

The Lord's Guard's soldiers were the only skeletons that were permitted to cross the barrier, on very rare circumstances. The Lord is extremely cautious about who he accepts into the Guard.

One wrong move among the Guard could easily lead to a death penalty. This deterred many from applying, but it never stopped the most prestigious.

It is mostly peaceful inside of the Lord's Realm. The chances of any mob from the outside entering is unlikely. Though, despite this, the Guard is always prepared. Deep underground, there is a dungeon for outsiders that enter the forbidden land. No one knows what becomes of those outsiders, though it is said that they are starved and beaten to death. Some speculate that they are used as training tools for the new class of Guard, but this has never been confirmed nor denied.

Lastly, the Lord... Regarding the Lord, it is said that he holds unpredictable power. Upon his dark cloak is said to be a protection charm. It is nearly impossible to lay a strike on him.

~

Skeleton

~

"H-Hold on just a second... You said that there's an underground prison?"

Wither nods. "Yeah. I've never seen it myself, but I've heard of it."

"And this... Lord... You say that he's untouchable?"

"...Yeah. Even if he isn't wearing the protection charm, the Guard will certainly fight on his behalf."

I pray to Notch that Creeper and Slime are safe...

"Alright, let's go then," I say. Wither stares at me blankly with a dumbfound expression. "What are you waiting for? Let's go!"

"Go to the other side?!" Wither exclaims, "Skeleton, have you lost your mind?!"

"If there's even a chance that Slime and Creeper are trapped in there, I'm going. With or without you." Wither grabs my arm with such a vice grip that I was startled at his sudden action.

"We aren't going anywhere near the other side."

"I'm going." I snatch my arm back.

"No, you're not!" The two of us get into a heated argument.

"Why won't you ever just listen, Skeleton?! Can't you just see that I don't want you getting hurt over a reckless decision?!"

"Staying and doing nothing is a selfish decision. I'm done arguing with you, Wither. Once this is over, I'm moving out." Wither opens his mouth to retort, but I already started walking the other direction.

Don't worry, Slime, Creeper. I'm coming to rescue you both.

~

A/n: Sorry for the late update!