你已經幾夜無眠⋯ 為他站崗。

**二十八 (Chapter twenty-eight)
eng: How many nights haven't you slept... Standing guard, for him.

A/n: My chapters are slowly getting longer and longer... This chapter is over 3k words long. I was going to split this chapter into two parts but decided against it. That means a long chapter for y'all!

Also... Creating a title for this chapter was so difficult.

A bit of ambiguity, but closer to actual romance. *gasps*

~

Skeleton

~

When I lost my family, I felt alone. I felt like the whole world betrayed me, despised me. All I knew was the pain of loss and the suffering of just barely getting by on my own. I was alone for a whole year, just wandering aimlessly through the bitter cold. I used to believe that I'd never grow attached to anyone again, the emptiness in my heart as cold and bitter as the world around me.

Then, I met Wither. My world turned upside down but for the better. For the first time in a long time, I felt the warm feeling of being cared about and the freedom to be unafraid. Unafraid of being in the bitter cold, unafraid of being alone.

~

"I think the best course of action is for me to leave this place," he says.

What?

In a desperate attempt to stop him, to stop this ridiculous idea from happening, I respond with,
"Wither, you aren't going anywhere!" Has he completely lost it? If I hadn't intervened, he would've been taken away!

"I don't want to, Skeleton," he says softly, "But... If he so easily found me in the Overworld, he's bound to appear anytime. We got lucky this time... Next time we may not be."

"I don't care! We beat him once, we can do it again!" I say, hoping to sound confident enough to persuade him.

"I know we can, but I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to you." I felt my whole body stiffen at his words. I felt touched yet hurt at the same time. I feel myself quiver slightly.

"Skeleton," he whispers, "I'm not saying that I'm leaving forever. I just want to keep you safe." I feel tears surfacing, so I quickly turn around. I feared him getting hurt. I feared being alone, again.

"Skeleton, I promise you. I will be back as soon as I know the Lord's been defeated." I don't want a stupid promise... I just don't want him to leave, I don't want to be alone!

"Skeleton...?" I feel a gentle hand touch my shoulder. That's when I lose it, a few silent tears escaping my eyes. I try to keep my breathing steady, not wanting him to see how fragile and vulnerable I really was.

"P-Please, don't go...," I manage to whisper. I've never sounded so desperate for anything in my entire life. Wither is the single most important thing to me, and I've come to accept it. If anything were to happen to him, I don't know how I'd ever move on.

When Wither doesn't reply for over a minute, I start to get paranoid. Did Wither teleport away? I feel my anxiety rise. I turn around shakily and tremble slightly, fearing the worst.

There he stood, quietly staring at me. My anxiety doesn't dissipate, his silence nearly as scary as the thought of him leaving. For once I had nothing to say to overcome the silence. What could I even say? Any words that I wanted to say were caught in my throat. I resorted to the last possible thing that could hopefully persuade him. Throwing aside my pride, I practically throw myself onto him, wrapping my arms around his abdomen tightly. I close my eyes in hopes of containing my tears. I lose control of them moments later when I feel a pair of arms return the gesture. Tears roll down my cheeks as I hold onto him even tighter.