逃脫

**二十四 (Chapter twenty-four)
eng: Escape

A/n: Thanks for 9k reads! The support I'm getting from this book is amazing, ily all! <33

~

Wither

~

The plan was simple. The Queen was to distract the Lord while Skeleton and I made our escape. The only issue was that there were no horses left for Skeleton and myself. We had to run to the border on foot.

"That sounds simple enough," Skeleton says with a shrug after we recite our plan. I still had little trust in the Queen, but given our situation I decided to just go with it.

"Once you two reach the border, there should be no guards. I already sent my advisor to collect all the guards for the day, so there should be no issues escaping. I needn't worry though, given the fact that you've successfully escaped once already on your own." Despite this fact though, what was starting to worry me was how weak I was getting. Every second in this realm was making my body weaker and weaker. I had already blacked out multiple times within the span of a few days.

"Allow me ten minutes to ensure that the coast is clear. Until then, it'd be wise to stay in your quarters with your friend, young Ash. Don't be frivolous and get caught too early." I nod and the Queen exits the room, leaving Skeleton and me alone.

"I still don't trust her...," I mumble. Skeleton sighs. "Unfortunately, we don't have much of a choice. If it comes to it, we'll have to fight our way out of here. I'm not too worried though. You put up a pretty good fight when you were possessed." I feel my cheeks flush. Good fighter? Since when? Without my powers, I'm as good at fighting as I am running.

If it comes to fighting, then... Goodness, I'll be useless.

Fighting? Most likely I'll be out of breath within the first few minutes of running. This thought alone starts to stress me out.

"Wither? Earth to Wither!" Skeleton lightly nudges my side, and I turn to face him. "Y-Yes?"

"Are you alright? You've been acting quite odd for the past few minutes..."

"...Well, look at the time. It seems ten minutes have passed." I grab his hand and slowly creak open the door to make sure the coast is clear. We walk through the hallways, an unsettling feeling washing over me at how quiet it was. Usually the halls were roaming with guards at this time of day...

We walk down over a dozen stairs. The exit was a few yards away. I could hear the Queen speaking quietly with the Lord. Now's our chance.

With haste, Skeleton and I exit through the back of the palace. There was not much back here, only a few ravines and abandoned crafting tables. The border was far from here, but we could manage if no guards catch us.

"This area is so... Open. I wonder why nothing was ever built back here...," I hear Skeleton mutter. We walk at a steady pace.

"Say, Wither... Why are we walking? We need to get out of here as soon as possible. C'mon." Skeleton picks up his pace, our steady walk turning into a full-on sprint within a few seconds.

Within a few minutes of running, I felt myself lagging behind him. It was getting progressively difficult to get air into my lungs with each step. My breaths were much shorter as I sucked in less and less air. It got to the point where my vision was starting to fog up.

We were about ten minutes into our escape when my body decided I couldn't keep running anymore. I stop abruptly, trying desperately to recover enough oxygen to keep going.