CHAPTER 9

Annabelle's POV

I am relieved the words are out, so I release a deep breath. I didn't even realize I have been holding in my breath. Pam is silent much to my surprise.

I am thinking she will exclaim, "what the hell!" or ask if I am stupid to think of such. But she isn't saying anything.

I open my eyes slowly and turn to look at her. She is just watching me, with her face devoid of expression. I don't know what she is thinking and if she is in support. I lean my head down, waiting for something to come out of her mouth.

Pamela has always been the mature one between us and I always runs to her for advice. She is next in line to my mom and I love her.

"You want to abort the baby?" She demands. 

"Yes", I answer sharply.

"Why?" Her voice is low.

I shrug. "Mom and I talked last night and we........"

"And she asked you to go for an abortion?" I can sense the disbelief in her tone. 

Pamela knows me well and she knows I can never think of such things if someone hadn't put the idea into my head.

"No", I lie. I want to do a cover-up for my mom.

"That's a lie and you know it. Your mom asked you to abort the baby and you agreed", she half-yell. This is a sign of her anger.

"We just thought it's the best idea since there is no money and we can't survive only on mom's meager salary if the baby comes." I offer to explain and justify mom's reason for asking me to abort the baby. I couldn't say no to my mother, even though I don't want the abortion but I just have to succumb to her wish for peace to reign.

"Aren't you old enough to make decisions on your own? What the hell is wrong with you, Anna?"

"What the hell is wrong with me?" I don't like the way she is shouting at me. It is so unlike Pamela to do that to me.

"Give me a good reason to keep the baby. I don't even know the father, I don't know if he is a drug addict or a kidnapper and in the mafia. How should I keep the baby then? The father doesn't even know he is expecting a child", I shout back.

She shakes her head. "This is not about the baby's father, Anna. This is about you. What if you lose your life in the process. What do you think will happen to that woman who even brought this suggestion? Do you think she will ever forgive herself for making you do something against your wish?" Her voice is low now.

"How do you know it is against my wish?"

"I know you, Anna", her left hand is on my shoulder. "You are my innocent pet. You can never think of such on your own."

I am quiet.

"Anna, you have to keep this baby. I can't afford to lose you now or anytime soon."