CHAPTER 48

Anna's POV

Mom is ransacking my closet for a decent dress to wear before Aidan comes to pick me up to his mother's home. I am laying quietly on the bed watching her. She is excited and I am happy that she is happy about the turn of events. 

The only joy I am deriving from this is that my child will be born within the confines of her father and mother's marital home and I don't need to go long distances to search for her father whenever she requests to see him.

I know my mother wants this too. She doesn't want my daughter or son to be like me. I am fatherless but I am not too bothered, probably because I had always thought my father was long dead. I know she is also excited about this because of how our lives will change for the better. 

We deserve it, don't we?

I have always dreamed of growing up, going to school for mom, and landing myself a good job with good pay so I can put an end to mom's suffering. She is suffering for me but she doesn't show it. I guess doing this for her is what makes me a good daughter, right?

"Are you going to wear this?" Mom pulls a maroon dress out.

I shake my head. "I wore this dress to the party on Friday. No, mom."

"Oh!" Reality dawns on her and she puts it back in the closet before searching for another suitable dress. 

She brings out a dress I love so much and I grin. It is a one-piece blouson dress with a pencil skirt. She brings out perfect heels and hoops to complete the look.

"I can see you like this already", she flashes me a smile.

"Yeah, I guess I will have to make do with what I have anyway."

"Yeah. Don't worry, very soon you will have a large walk-in closet with numerous dresses. I wonder why Aidan didn't even bring up the idea of taking you shopping for a perfect dress."

"It's not a date or a party. I am just going to meet his mother." I remind her.

It is Sunday and Aidan says we will go to the hospital. I wanted to go against the idea but I decide to just let it be so he wouldn't think I am hiding something. He has the right to know if the baby is his or not. 

I take the dress from her and begin to wear it. I let go of my towel and wear a blouse. Mom stands watching me. As soon as I am done dressing up, she leads me to the dressing table so she can apply a little makeup on my face. We did it in silence before I wear my heels.

We hear a knock on the door at that moment and I know it is Aidan.

"Let me go check if he is the one", mom says and walks out of my room after I nodded for her to do that.

I sit on the bed with my hands on my lap and look into space.

I can do this, I say to myself.