CHAPTER 55

Aidan's POV

Saying I am happy sounds like an understatement. I am over the moon and I feel fulfilled. 

Even though I know my father will think I won because of him and Julian, I am going to prove them wrong. Their help didn't take me anywhere. 

Justine prevailed. I won and Damien lost.

After presenting my speech and appreciation to the people who stood by me, I was given another standing ovation. I didn't mention my father and I did that on purpose. I only mentioned the one absent person but I was sure she was watching my success from home.

My mother! She stood by me, she sacrificed a lot for me to be where I am today.

Even without her legs, she supported me and gave me strength. When I want to give up, she is the one I always run to, she gives me a shoulder to lean on and she keeps telling me my success is close at hand. 

Here I am, the richest billionaire in New York.

I wanted to acknowledge Annabelle too for telling me to believe in myself when I thought I was not going to be the winner. But my ego didn't want me to. After a while, I realized I needed to talk about her so people would acknowledge her as my bride, just like I wanted.

"Behind every successful man lies a woman, I appreciate my mother and one other woman", I start. I could see the curiosity on the faces of the people in the hall. 

Those who saw us together were already staring at Anna whose face was devoid of emotions.

"To my bride-to-be, Annabelle Gomez, thank you for standing by me and for your support. Thank you for telling me to believe in myself. I love you."

There was an uproar as I left the table after taking my award. I walked towards Anna as she stood with a slightly open mouth and a shocked expression. When I am close by, I pull her into an embrace. She was stiff until I whispered into her ears for her to play along.

Anna keeps looking at me as we dance. Almost everyone with a woman is on the dance floor. I know she is an inquisitive being and she has a lot of questions to ask me.

"What?" I ask her, trying to keep my voice down.

I want to tell her not to get ahead of herself and think all I did earlier meant something to me. It meant nothing. I appreciate what she did but she is still my unwanted bride.

"Nothing", she smiles. "Congratulations, Aidan."

I ignore her and spin her around. We continue dancing in silence. "Aidan?"

"Uhm?"

"You know I am your number one fan, right?"

I am surprised she is asking me that question and I want to laugh. "Since when?" I am amused.