CHAPTER 50

Aidan's POV

I can remember my mother said father shouldn't know about Anna yet until our plan has been executed and that plan will be executed on the award night. Mother and I have a lot to talk about but we couldn't talk because of the presence of Anna.

From what we discussed with mother the last time, I need to pretend like I want Tessa too but I know it is going to be hard doing that since I hate pretense. If I let my father think I am agreeing to his term, he will tell Tessa's father and they will help me. But if I don't, I won't get any help even though I wish I can get the help from somewhere else and not from my selfish, monstrous father.

Now I remember my mother's bandaged arm as I stand with Anna by the doorway. I want to rush to him and punch the living hell out of my father but I know I can't. I need to control myself. I need to be calm so I won't ruin things way too fast. I seriously need to get my mother out of this hellhole.

"Aidan", he calls again as he approaches. 

I am happy Anna and I aren't holding hands like we did when we entered the house. I take a step sideways and whisper to Anna. "Play along."

I didn't wait for a nod to show that she agrees and understands like earlier before I turn back to face father. I bow. Anna stares at him in nervousness and bow.

Father looks from me to Anna, suspiciously.

"Good morning, Father", I greet politely.

This is how I behave in the presence of strangers. Even though Anna isn't a stranger, I have to do this because of what I want in return. I am going to get the help indirectly.

I didn't know I would meet my father at home by this time of the day. He is barely at home, except when he has guests coming to visit. Even if the father doesn't have anything to do in the office, he goes there just to avoid having contact with his wife.

I see Anna looking at me with a questioning gaze from my peripheral view. I know what she wants to ask me is why I only introduced her to my mother.

Father on the other hand is staring at Anna and shifting the gaze to me at intervals for me to explain who she is. He stops walking when he is close enough and folds his arms.

"Who is this?" He asks me again when I am not offering any explanation.

"This is my new secretary, Anna", I point to Anna. Anna didn't show any sign of surprise, instead, she bows again with a smile.

"Beautiful name for a beautiful lady", my father smiles back and I feel like punching him. 

"I didn't know you were in", I say, to stop him from ogling Anna like the shameless man that he is.

"Oh!" He looks at me. "Yes, I won't be going out today. As you can see your mother is ill and I want to take care of her."

"Really?" I am being sarcastic. I can't help it. I can't help not being rude to the man before me, even if I am not rude to others.