twelve

The weeks passed by quickly and Katana found herself sitting in Bokuto's kitchen on one of the stools watching him cook. He didn't even tell her what he would do but as far as she could decipher it would be pasta.

He was chopping some vegetables and Katana let out a quiet breath and put her chin on her palm. "Are you sure you don't want any help?"

Bokuto looked up with raised eyebrows. "I'm gonna do it completely alone," he said and nodded with a small smile.

A smile tugged at her lips and she looked away from him. "Fine, if you say so."

"You know," Bokuto started, catching her attention. "I don't have much boyfriend experience. My first and last relationship was in High School and it lasted like two months. I kinda only got into it because everyone else started dating."

Her eyebrows shot up and her posture straightened. "Really? Why would you date only because everyone else did?"

He continued cutting the vegetables and shrugged briefly. "No idea, I kinda felt pressured but it didn't work out anyway."

Him saying that in a nonchalant tone, annoyed her. She envied him for being so unbothered by most things while she was still distressed by her last relationship.

She huffed and took a sip of her water. "Yeah mine didn't work out either," she mumbled.

He looked up with big eyes and raised eyebrows. "You had a boyfriend?"

Katana narrowed her eyes. "Is that so surprising?"

He quickly shook his head, not wanting to offend her in any way. But he had to admit, he was curious about this ex boyfriend of hers.

She shrugged briefly. "Well, that was also in High School. We were together for a year." She gulped briefly. "And than that dumbass left me."

He watched her carefully also picking up on the sad and disappointed tone in her voice. He expected her to be angry about this so her soft tone surprised him.

"Well, whoever that was, was pretty stupid to leave you," he said with a small smile and shrug before putting the pot on the stove and filling it with water.

Katana blushed and focused on her glass of water. Clearing her throat, she shifted in her seat. "Well that was a few years ago anyway," she mumbled and briefly shrugged.

"Is he the reason you don't like volleyball?" Bokuto asked her as he turned around to face her.

She tensed at his blunt question and the grip on her glass tightened slightly, turning her knuckles white. "I don't hate vollyball," she said trying hard to keep her tone unbothered, "It just makes me slightly uncomfortable."

"Don't worry," Bokuto said with a huge smile as he tried to cheer up her mood, "You're watching me play now."

Katana failed to suppress the smile forming on her lips as she shook her head slightly. He was right, now volleyball was about him, not about her ex anymore.

He finished cooking and set the table all by his own. He didn't let Katana help as it was all part of his being a good boyfriend.

When everything was set, Katana was pleasantly surprised and eyed the table with slightly raised eyebrows. The two plates were each at one end of the table, there was some wine and even candles.

"This looks good so far, thanks" she told Bokuto with a small smile and nodded. His face lit up and the pair sat down at the table.

Katana shifted in her seat slightly when Bokuto watched her carefully and with big eyes. She cleared her throat. "Are you okay?"

He nodded, still not looking away from her. Bokuto waited for her to taste first.

With a brief nod to herself, she put some of the pasta on her fork and tasted it. The young woman tensed briefly when the taste spread in her mouth. Trying hard to keep a straight face, she chewed and swallowed. She absolutely didn't have the heart to tell him that it was disgusting, not after he put so much effort into the whole evening. Nodding, she shot him a small smile. "Thanks Bokuto-kun."

His face lit up and Katana cursed him for being so cute and adorable. He waited for her to take another bite. Thinking about how she was gonna eat all of this with a straight face, she slowly put another fork in her mouth. I will die if I eat all of this.

"Don't you want to eat as well?" She asked and looked at Bokuto. She was uncomfortable with him watching her eat. He snapped out of his trance and nodded before turning to his plate.

His bright expression turned into one of disgust as soon as he put the pasta in his mouth. He immediately spit it out onto his plate. "You lied!" He exclaimed dramatically and snapped his head up to look at her. "How did you even eat this?!"

She pressed her lips together before looking at her plate and sighing. Taking a sip out of her glass, she tried to get rid of the taste in her mouth. "You looked so proud of your pasta. I couldn't just tell you it's not good," she quietly said and avoided eye contact.

The sudden scraping of the chair on the floor was the reason she quickly snapped her head up to look at Bokuto with wide eyes. He was now standing. "That's not just not good, that's fucking disgusting!" The grey-haired male walked up to her and scanned her face briefly. "What if I poisoned you?!" He almost shrieked.

Katana put her hands up and shook her head but he ignored her and grabbed her wrists trying to pull her up. "We need to go to the hospital immediately!"

Katana didn't know why he panicked so much. There was nothing that could have poisoned her anyway; it was just the taste that was disgusting.

She freed her wrists and put a hand on his arm. "It's okay, I'm fine," she reassured him, "Just sit down."

He did as she told him and crossed his arms. He was mad at himself for screwing the only thing up that he had planned for the evening. He had one job and he failed miserably. The only thing he wanted was for Katana to have a nice memory with him as a good boyfriend.

Katana eyed the male with a sympathetic look in her eye. She knew that it was frustrating to fail at something especially if it was something you were hyped for. She gulped and straightened in her seat. "Hey," she soflty said catching his attention. He slightly looked up with a small pout on his face. Slightly smiling she continued, "You don't need to be a good cook to be a good boyfriend, many people suck at cooking."

He didn't seem to cheer up the slightest. Katana pressed her lips together. "But do you know what others also can't?" She smiled warmly when his eyebrows slightly shot up and he shook his head. "They can't be you, an amazing person and ace."

A bright smile grew on his lips and he immediately jumped up. Katana let out a sigh of relief as she didn't have to spend her evening with an emo Bokuto.

He grabbed her hand and pulled her up. "Then let's get some McDonald's."

She chuckled and nodded. "Sounds good."