fifteen

"Are you ready?" Sato asked the young woman in the backseat. He knew she only agreed to come home for the weekend because her brothers would be there as well. Her relationship with her parents wasn't the best.

Katana sighed and nodded. "Yeah, let's get this over with," she mumbled got out of the car. She stopped in front of the front yard and looked at the massive white mansion she grew up in. Taking a breath, she shook her head before entering the house together with Sato.

As soon as the two stepped foot into the white shiny foyer, the clicking of her mother's heels reached her ears. The noise stopped and black high heels came into Katana's sight, who looked on the floor.

The girl looked up and in front of her stood Masae; tall, chin high and the usual sharp look in her bright green eyes. The woman had blond long hair which was made up in a tight bun that made her only look more strict. Her emotionless face showed no signs of aging as she eyed her daughter. Her black trousers and red blouse gave her an elegant appearance, the red lipstick only suitung her blouse's colour.

Katana's face looked exactly like her mother's. They shared the same round eyes, small nose and soft jawline. The only difference between them was Katana's black hair and dark brown eye colour, which she had from her father. The girl had freckles covering her nose and cheeks while Masae's skin was flawless and tanned. The woman stood tall with 1.75 meter's, with her heels around 1.80, while Katana only made it to 1.66.

"Finally you're home young lady," Masae said and slightly narrowed her eyes. The woman was disappointed that her daughter would never call home. And seeing her with normal clothes made her certain that living alone around normal people influenced her daughter badly. "What are you wearing?"

Sato could already feel the tension thickening and only bowed before leaving the foyer. He didn't want to get between the two women.

Katana looked down in order to check what she was wearing. With knitted eyebrows she turned to her mother. "That's a normal black shirt."

Masae shot her daughter's outfit a disgusted look and and waved it off. "Go freshen up. Make sure to use some perfume, you smell too soft and like milk. And put something normal on, dinner will be ready in half an hour." Without waiting for her daughter's response, she turned on her heels.

Katana, now alone in the foyer, huffed and rolled her eyes. It had been two minutes and she was already beyond annoyed. "What's wrong with smelling soft?" She mumbled as the walked up the stairs to her room.

Closing the door behind her, she threw her phone on the bed before following it and plopping down face first. This is gonna be long weekend.

After she freshened up just like her mother so kindly requested, Katana made her way to the dining room. The girl wanted to avoid unnecessary drama as she had a feeling that there would be a lot of it anyway. Katana didn't expect a warmer greeting from her father, Kenji. She was right as he didn't even look up from his phone when she entered.

Sitting across her parents, Katana cleared her throat. Her mother had been following her with her eyes the moment she stepped foot into the dining room. It was awkwardly silent until the maids were finished setting the table.

Her father put his phone on the table and looked at Katana. She clenched her jaw but didn't look away from him. Kenji was an overall average looking man. He was tall and well built. His dark brown eyes had something cold shining in them and his black hair showed hints of grey roots and strands and was slicked back like always. Everyone always thought that Katana was the best mixture of the couple among their four children.

Katana never understood why her mother had married him. Masae had been successful and if she hadn't agreed to marry Kenji, she would have had an amazing career as a prosecutor. She was beautiful and could have had every guy she wanted but settled for an average looking guy like Kenji. Sometimes Katana wondered if money and success made you attractive.