sixteen

Katana woke up with a sigh. She still wasn't ready for another two days with her parents. Being away from them for so long made her wonder how she had managed to stay with them for almost 20 years without going insane. It had been one day and she was close to loosing it already.

Her door opened and her mother crossed her arms, standing in the doorway. "Breakfast is ready, be downstairs in 15 minutes." Without another word she left, not even closing the door.

"Be down in 15 minutes," she repeated in a mocking tone before getting up from her bed and closing her door. I hope my brothers will be here soon.

Her hopes were crushed as soon as she sat across her parents for breakfast. "Your brothers can't come. They messaged me this morning."

"All three of them can't come?" Katana asked and raised an eyebrow. She couldn't believe her mother's statement. Somehow she thought that her mother had lied to her about her brothers coming.

Ignoring her statement, Masae stood up and left. Katana's jaw dropped as her eyes followed her mother until she was out of sight.

"She has a nail appointment," Kenji said and stood up as well. "I'll be at work until dinner," he said and left as well.

Katana blinked a few times before staring at her empty plate. Her parents had just left before they had breakfast together. Letting out a breath, she shrugged. "What did you even expect?" she asked herself and shoved some food in her mouth.

Even though she knew exactly how her parents were, it still hurt deep down that they were so absent and uninterested sometimes but she wouldn't admit that.

They didn't even wish me happy birthday. Katana gulped down the lump in her throat and took a deep breath. Her phone vibrated and she immediately smiled when she saw a notification from her group chat with her brothers. Katana quickly opened the message from her oldest brother.

Daisuke: Happy birthday to the best little sister ever!!! Sorry I couldn't come to visit you but mom said that you were coming home anyway. I'm glad you're not alone today. I hope you have a good day. I love you little sis!

So mom lied. Katana shook her head but smiled when her two other brothers texted her as well.

Junpei: Happy birthday Katana. We had actually planned a surprise visit in your apartment in Tokyo. I must apologize that it did work out but work is keeping me and I guess the others as well busy. Mom however said that she would bring you home when we told her we couldn't come. Have a nice day and take care.

Mako: baby sis!!!! happy birthday!!! i'm so glad you were born because these idiots are sooo boring and think they're mature. i almost thought they would rub off on me and i would end up like them. but then you rescued me form getting boring. thanks!!!! i hope you have a great day. love u lots and don't let mom or dad bring you down. call me if they're being assholes againnn. i love you more than the other two but i guess you already know that. haha. happy birthday love you lots

Mako: oh and i want to visit you sometime but without these boring idiots. we should go and do something funny and illegal. haha

Junpei: You are a police officer, Mako. I highly suggest you don't do that.

Mako: well mr perfect. you're a lawyer. you could easily get us out of jail again

Junpei: You're better off in jail...

Katana chuckled and shook her head while a tear rolled down her eyes.

Katana: Thanks so much guys. I love you three too. I hope I can see you again sometime. I miss youuuuu