Book 1: "A Spirit in the Window"

3rd Person POV:

Koza woke up in the middle of the night to a soft scratching by his window. He shot up and jumped out of bed, landing in a defensive position. He'd been a light sleeper ever since finding Korra on memorial island, traumatized by Amon.

The shadowbender wasn't surprised to find the window empty with a cool breeze flying through, he'd over reacted yet again and if the pattern of the last week held true, then he wouldn't be getting any sleep tonight.

He let out an exhausted sigh and turned around, heading back to his bed. Koza froze when he heard it. A low unfamiliar growl coming from where he was looking a moment before. He summoned shadows to his hand and spun around, sending a whip of shadows in the direction of the hostile growl.

The whip of shadows slammed into the ground, creating a loud bang and shattering some wooden floor boards. Koza was shocked when a light grey wolf with glowing blue eyes jumped through his attack completely unharmed.

The wolf lunged at Koza and tackled the stunned shadowbender to the ground. The wolf quickly sunk its teeth into Koza's neck. The immense pain shot throughout his body and blood gushed out, staining the floor. Then everything went black.

Koza screamed as he shot up in his bed and immediately brought his hands up to his neck, only to find out that it was all a dream and he was completely unharmed.

He looked over to his window, seeing it closed and locked. Koza sighed before getting up and looked out into the snow covered courtyard. He could see the womens sleeping quarters across the courtyard and wondered if he woke anyone.

He sighed again, running his hands through his blond hair and started climbing into bed when Tenzin came crashing through the door.

Tenzin: "Koza! Are you alright?! What's going on?!"

Koza: "I-I'm good... just a bad dream."

Tenzin: "Are you sure?"

Koza: "Yes, I'm fine. I'm sorry I woke you and Pema."

Tenzin knew that Koza was troubled, he'd barely gotten any sleep in the past week and it was starting to show. The airbending master sighed and gently closed the door as Koza climbed into bed and spent the rest of the night tossing and turning about.

————————————————————————

Asami entered the gym at the pro bending arena, carrying the Fire Ferrets new uniforms for the tournament scheduled to start tomorrow.

She instantly noticed how nervous Korra was around Mako and smiled. It reminded her about how Koza acted the first time they met. She was hoping to see him here but the shadowbender was nowhere to be seen.

Asami: "Hey guys, I've got your uniforms."

Korra: "Oh hey, Asami."

Bolin: "Thanks again for sponsoring us."

Mako: "Yeah, it means the world."

Asami: "No problem, my dad was happy to help. Hey, Korra... is Koza here?"

Korra: "Oh... no. He hasn't had a good week and hasn't left the island."

Mako: "Wait? Koza? What about him?"

Bolin: "Creepy shadowbending Koza?"

Asami: "You think he's creepy?"

Bolin: "Well yeah! He bends darkness and is super mysterious. You can't tell me the shadowbending doesn't creep you out... it's unnatural."

Asami straightened her posture and glared at the earthbender. His comedic approach to everything quickly wore her patience thin and she found herself tightening her grip on one of the team's new jerseys.