Book 3: "In Harm's Way"

3rd Person POV:

Asami giggled as she was spun around by Koza during their dance. The pair hadn't given any thought to the rest of Team Avatar or the Earth Kingdom nobles who were giving them ever increasing glances.

When the music finally died down, Koza swiftly pulled Asami close and hugged her. She cooed gently and snuggled into his embrace as the other couples slowly left the dance floor.

Before they were left alone on the dance floor, Koza and Asami made their way to the bar on the far side of the ball room.

The entire time Asami held Koza's arm, keeping herself as close to him as possible until they reached the bar.

Koza: "Thank you, you don't know how much I needed this."

Asami: "You're welcome. I hope our evenings out like this aren't limited to after traumatic events."

The business woman's eyes met Koza's as a small smile formed on her face. She moved closer to the shadowbender as he ordered drinks for them and gently took hold of his hand.

The bartender went to work fixing their beverages as the shadowbender heard footsteps approaching. Praying that it was just a party guest getting another drink, Koza held his breath. But he knew he wasn't that lucky.

"I thought I recognized you two. You're the shadowbender, and Ms. Sato, Future Industries has always been a quality provider to the Earth Kingdom."

The couple turned around to see an expensively dressed Earth Kingdom noble. Dozens of military medals were pinned on his dark green jacket. His short gray hair covered most of his head with a small scar just above his right eyebrow. His lower face was clean shaven, his posture nearly perfect.

Asami: "I'm sorry, I don't believe we've had the pleasure."

The man simply smiled and held out his hand, Asami took hold of it first, firmly shaking it as Koza forced a smile to his face.

Fang: "You may call me Fang, Minister of Defence for her majesty's armed forces."

Asami: "Pleasure to meet you, Fang."

Koza: "What can we do for you Minister?"

A hint of dread and annoyance found its way into Koza's voice despite the forced smile on his face, another trait he inherited from his mother.

The seasoned politician chose to ignore the shadowbenders obvious hints of annoyance. He moved next to Asami and claimed an empty seat, waving towards the bartender.

Fang: "I just wanted to introduce myself to the famous Shadow of the South. You have quite the reputation among military minds in the Earth Kingdom. Leading a naval invasion with an outnumbered force, securing the capital of the Southern Water Tribe before successfully marching your men through a blizzard to get to the Southern Spirit portal. It's more than impressive, you've got the making of an excellent military commander."

The bar seemed to fall quite for the shadowbender, his head started spinning as Fang's casual smile formed on his face once again.

It was the last thing Koza saw before he was back in the Southern Water Tribe. The cold Antarctic air washed over the shadowbender's body, sending a shiver down his spine. The freezing salt water sprayed up against his face, mixing with the sweat and blood dripping down his face.

Asami tried to figure out what was happening, she tried looking into Koza's icy blue eyes, only to find him squeezing them shut and keeping his head down.

Across the banquet hall, Korra and Tenzin were sitting at a long table. The Earth Queen's massive throne was empty as she had yet to make an appearance.