Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Miranda's POV

We rode a leisurely gait. I was not in a hurry. In fact, I had about 60 years until I needed to do anything again, but those 60 years would probably go by all too quickly.

Rochben whinnied at me. My head snapped up in surprise, I hadn't noticed that we had arrived at the edge of the forest of Mirkwood.

"Already?" I asked aloud.

Rochben snorted.

"Well, ride on," I encouraged. That was all it took for Rochben to go running down the path. "Slow down!" I laughed. Letting the wind push back my hood causing my hair to fly behind me.

Rochben slowed his pace but it didn't matter too much because we were already at the gates.

"State your name and business!" A guard ordered.

"Lady Lunalialyn of Lothlorien here to see Lord Thranduil of Mirkwood," I responded.

"You may pass," He stated. I was glad I had decided to wear my diadem, or else that conversation would have taken way longer.

I dismounted and entered the huge double doors. The interior was much quieter than I remembered. Had something happened?

I raced to Thranduil's throne room and was met with an empty room. I looked around confusedly. I spotted a guard and said, "Excuse me, has Lord Thranduil not returned?"

"My Lord Thranduil is in his bedchamber. Come, I will lead you there," the guard said.

I followed the guard down many halls. Why wasn't he in his throne? Was he sick? Why was it so quiet? Where was Legolas? Before I could even come up with an answer to my questions, the guard stopped. It happened so suddenly for me that I almost ran into him.

The guard knocked on the door, there was no reply from the other side. "My Lord Thranduil, there is someone here to see you."

It was quiet for some moments before a tired voice spoke, "Who is it?"

"Lady Lunalialyn of Lorien my Lord," The guard replied.

It was quiet again and then there was a sigh and some rustling, "Send her in."

The door opened to a darkened room. I entered and spoke a quaver of nervousness in my voice as the door thumped closed behind me, "Lord Thranduil?"

"I'm here," his voice came from a darkened corner and he brought himself into a standing position. "What can I do for you?"

"Why are you in here?" I asked, I tried to stop myself, but the questions just flowed right out of me. "Are you sick? Why is it so dark in here? Why is it so quiet? Are you alright? Where is Legolas?"

He chuckled dryly, "Gone."

"What?" I asked him confused.

"Legolas is gone," He reiterated.

"What?" I repeated, shock joining the confusion in my voice. "Gone? But I saw him after the battle. He seemed fine then!" My heart hurt in a way I didn't think was possible, I felt tears running down my face and I couldn't stop them no matter how hard I tried.

"He is not dead," Thranduil stated.

"What?" I asked, "But you said-"

"He left. He is gone. He told me he could not stay here anymore," his voice sounded hollow, and sullen.

I felt my legs give way and I collapsed to the ground, "He's alive." I breathed.

"Of course, he's alive!" Thranduil exclaimed. "Why did you-?" The question hung as he looked across my features. "Luna," his voice was quiet again. "Are you alright?"

I nodded and breathed out again, my voice barely a whisper, "He's alive."